Sponsored

CB Radio - Handheld or Mounted & Hard Wired?

Which CB Radio?

• Total voters

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
NMO is the acronym for New Motorola Mount. (or for me: the screwy deal that mounts to the chingadero that the other thing threads to)

The third one LP450 NMO requires a ground plane. I was trying to do research last year because a buddy and I decided to go GMRS. Long story short, I have stuck with the "no ground plane required" type of antenna. More traditional in regards to what one would think of when they hear the word antenna. From what I remember, I didn't want to add the ground plane portion in case the roof didn't act as one. Instead I use this type of antenna in different lengths, the link below is an example that I purchased for my truck. Short on my truck, and longer on the Jeep because its mounted lower in the tail gate region.

https://www.arcantenna.com/shop-ant...-antenna-with-black-nmo-base-450-470-mhz.html
I saw that it needed a ground plane, but I was thinking it 1/4 wave being so small, how much of a ground plane would it need? Wouldn't the sport bar be sufficient?
I have a Diamond NR770HNMO Dualband on mine. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ham-radio-install-w-pics.9490/
Post number 8 is the antenna I mounted
Sponsored

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely a lot to take in. I probably spent a good 3 days of work time trying to decide and think about mounting solutions for the antenna, location what size I needed, what length, and so on. If I recall like prerunner1982 mentioned, I used the NMO mount that needed a 3/8" hole. That whole NMO base disassembles and you can get different lengths of the "stud" (for a lack of a better term) depending on how thick the medium you are using to mount the NMO base to. From there it was running cables. Whatever cable i used, the terminated male end slid right into the female side of the MXT275 box.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that it needed a ground plane, but I was thinking it 1/4 wave being so small, how much of a ground plane would it need? Wouldn't the sport bar be sufficient?
I have a Diamond NR770HNMO Dualband on mine. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ham-radio-install-w-pics.9490/
Post number 8 is the antenna I mounted
I wish I knew as well. I really wanted to use that flat type of antenna on my truck, but since I didn't want to risk it, and I was running out of time before a big trip to Utah, I steered clear. I would assume that the roof of a steel cab pick up would be enough, but the risk of drilling the cab, and then not having it work, to then taking apart the roof liner to put a ground plane in wasn't worth it to me. I ultimately didn't want the commitment. I just used an offroad 3rd brake light kit that can have an NMO mount pre-installed.

Jeep wise, finding a mount that's deep enough to handle the base of my Laird antenna to get a good seal is another issue. They're just wider than your average CB mount. Unfortunately, I am using a CB mount. The antenna over hangs. I know its not good moisture wise, but for the time being it works, and I will live with it. I hope if GMRS becomes more than standard, more jeep specific products will come out.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Okay, I heeded the warnings about using the Firestick as my GMRS antenna, so I added a NMO antenna over the weekend. Both the CB and GMRS terminate under the passenger seat. I mounted the GMRS antenna to the top of the 3rd brake light for now and routed the wires through the plastic piece to hide the exposed wire as best as possible. Maybe people will think I am a cop with that mount point. :) Someday I will get a different rear bumper and tire carrier and will have to update the mount, but this should be good for a while. I see Midland is selling their own version now, but I bought a browning antenna and wire from Amazon. Couple quick pictures:

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
agarber5687

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
Thank you all for the feedback. I expected to be told that the handhelds are fine and to save myself the time.

I am pleasantly surprised and now very glad that I asked. I will be buying a radio mount and a new antenna with rear mount to get this all hooked up before hitting the trails later this year.

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '04 Mazda3, '13 Sienna (because kids)
Okay, I heeded the warnings about using the Firestick as my GMRS antenna, so I added a NMO antenna over the weekend. Both the CB and GMRS terminate under the passenger seat. I mounted the GMRS antenna to the top of the 3rd brake light for now and routed the wires through the plastic piece to hide the exposed wire as best as possible. Maybe people will think I am a cop with that mount point. :) Someday I will get a different rear bumper and tire carrier and will have to update the mount, but this should be good for a while. I see Midland is selling their own version now, but I bought a browning antenna and wire from Amazon. Couple quick pictures:

Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio - Handheld or Mounted & Hard Wired? IMG_0555

Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio - Handheld or Mounted & Hard Wired? IMG_0555
Hey @MacombRoger, thanks for posting about your journey towards an antenna mount for your MXT275.

I am also very interested in purchasing the MXT275 (already have two GXT1000VP4 hand helds), but want to sort out the antenna mounting solution before taking the plunge.

I was leaning towards the MXTA25 3DB gain ghost antenna (which is similar to the Browning antenna from you post). I had been thinking about using the Rugged Radios fender mount and then running the cable in through the clutch grommet on the drivers side firewall (I have an auto), similar to what @Hudson did.

How has your setup been working out for you?
What was the wire routing process like from the third brake light?

Also, did you hard wire your head unit to the battery or are you using the cig lighter?

Thanks!

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Hey @MacombRoger, thanks for posting about your journey towards an antenna mount for your MXT275.

I am also very interested in purchasing the MXT275 (already have two GXT1000VP4 hand helds), but want to sort out the antenna mounting solution before taking the plunge.

I was leaning towards the MXTA25 3DB gain ghost antenna (which is similar to the Browning antenna from you post). I had been thinking about using the Rugged Radios fender mount and then running the cable in through the clutch grommet on the drivers side firewall (I have an auto), similar to what @Hudson did.

How has your setup been working out for you?
What was the wire routing process like from the third brake light?

Also, did you hard wire your head unit to the battery or are you using the cig lighter?

Thanks!
My setup has worked out great. Great reception, and out of the way antenna location.

The wire goes inside the plastic channel running down from the 3rd brake light, then goes in through a grommet on the tailgate (same grommet my CB antenna wire is in). The CB antenna, being a two part connector, i was able to feed through the black cloth wire cover, the GMRS wire is zip tied to it. Pulled the subwoofer panel, and it runs hidden all the way to the front seat behind plastic trim panels.

I have the radio hardwired. I have the Aux switches, so under the glovebox there are 2 extra wires, a switched lead, and an unswitched lead. I used the unswitched lead to send power to the location where both the "brains" are for the CB and GMRS radio. I simply cut off the Cig lighter, keeping the fuse (just in case). I also sent a ground wire from same location as the power lead, as there are some extra ground screw lugs in the same area as the power leads.

For me both the Cobra and the Midland radios are under the front passenger seat. The Cobra unit has sheet metal screws to an existing metal bracket. The Midland is double side taped nearby. Plenty of room under the carpet, they are installed on either side of the plenum providing HVAC to rear seats.

Hope this helps.

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '04 Mazda3, '13 Sienna (because kids)
My setup has worked out great. Great reception, and out of the way antenna location.

The wire goes inside the plastic channel running down from the 3rd brake light, then goes in through a grommet on the tailgate (same grommet my CB antenna wire is in). The CB antenna, being a two part connector, i was able to feed through the black cloth wire cover, the GMRS wire is zip tied to it. Pulled the subwoofer panel, and it runs hidden all the way to the front seat behind plastic trim panels.

I have the radio hardwired. I have the Aux switches, so under the glovebox there are 2 extra wires, a switched lead, and an unswitched lead. I used the unswitched lead to send power to the location where both the "brains" are for the CB and GMRS radio. I simply cut off the Cig lighter, keeping the fuse (just in case). I also sent a ground wire from same location as the power lead, as there are some extra ground screw lugs in the same area as the power leads.

For me both the Cobra and the Midland radios are under the front passenger seat. The Cobra unit has sheet metal screws to an existing metal bracket. The Midland is double side taped nearby. Plenty of room under the carpet, they are installed on either side of the plenum providing HVAC to rear seats.

Hope this helps.
Thanks @MacombRoger! I definitely like your out of the way antenna location.

I assume you are using something like this L bracket?
Anything special or to be concerned about with drilling into that third brake light mount and securing with that L bracket?

Making my shopping list :) Already have a jeepuniq mic and handheld holder for the grab bar.

L bracket
MXT24A antenna cable
MXTA25 3DB gain ghost antenna
MXT275 micromobile radio

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Thanks @MacombRoger! I definitely like your out of the way antenna location.

I assume you are using something like this L bracket?
Anything special or to be concerned about with drilling into that third brake light mount and securing with that L bracket?

Making my shopping list :) Already have a jeepuniq mic and handheld holder for the grab bar.

L bracket
MXT24A antenna cable
MXTA25 3DB gain ghost antenna
MXT275 micromobile radio
I think that is the exact bracket I used. The mount is plastic, the L-bracket came with self tap screws, but I didn't use them. I used some short machine screws, with a lock washer and nut on the inside (I even tossed some blue locktite on them :) ). I only had silver screws, just took a sharpie to the screw heads on the outside, worked out fine (its pretty hidden either way).

I notched the back plastic of the 3rd brake light holder, and the most difficult part was getting the antenna wire to lay in the channel around various plastic bits inside. Had to open the cover a couple times to get it right.
Sponsored