Sponsored

CB Radio Antennas - Huge antennas necessary?!

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
2M is Ham Operator slang for the 2 meter band (144-148 MHz). CB is technically the 11 meter band at around 27 MHz. The band refers to how long the radio wavelength is. This is why CB radios are 48-102" on average, but 2 meter antennas are less than 3 on a mobile setup. the 70 CM band is even shorter. I have a dual band antenna for my truck that's 19" tall for use on either 2M or 70CM bands. There are also 1.25 meter and HF mobile radios.

I have a Kenwood 2 meter rig that pushes either 25 watts or 65 watts (high or low setting). All CB is only legally allowed to use is 4 watts. The issue with getting and using ham radio equipment is A. it all requires a license, B. it's also dependant on who in the area has a license AND a radio AND is on your frequency.

With CB you are limited to 40 channels (120 if using a SSB radio). All you have to do is turn the knob and it only goes through those frequencies for each channel. With ham radio, you can tune in any frequency on the band with most mobile radios. So you can spend considerably longer times looking for someone to talk to unless you have a predetermined frequency.

Like others have said, the antenna length is determined by the frequencies you want to use. I'd recommend using a short (3-4') for road use and a long 102" whip for off road to maximize your distance. Most bases you can simply unscrew the vertical portion in under 30 seconds.

Also, you mention 36 mile range walkie talkies. I would bet money you will never see 36 miles in actual real world talk distance with those. The antennas are extremely inefficient, the transmit power is less than a CB and the frequencies are susceptible to interference from objects between the two radios like trees and buildings. I have several of those from Uniden that I'm lucky to get 5 miles with vehicle to vehicle on open road. The vehicle body itself blocks the radio waves (metal cages with windows). Unless you have some that you can run an external antenna, you probably are lucky to get 5-10 miles at most. With my 5 watt 2m/70cm handie talkie, I can hit the repeater 8 miles from my house. I've turned the power on it down to 1.5 watts and still hit that repeater.
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I think in any emergency situation having more tools in the toolbox is always better. If you venture into areas without cell phone coverage or sketchy coverage then I would certainly have something else to communicate with and that would depend a lot on what resources are available in the area. Eg are their citizen groups that monitor certain frequencies or operate on certain frequencies that may be monitored?

Were it me I would have my amateur license which btw is a lot simpler to get than in the old days when you had to know morse code. Todays basic licence is a lot of common sense, rules and regulations and some technical but nothing prohibitive in terms of understanding. For those of us who have our military radio operators certificates way back DOC allowed you to obtain your amateur license through some sort of grandfather clause. But even if it no longer is possible writing the exam is pretty straight forward.

Sat radios are certainly interesting and if I were travelling in extremely remote areas that makes a lot of sense. I suppose an EPIRB might as well.

One of the biggest PITAs with todays vehicles is where to mount a radio or set of radios. The JL is no exception. Antenna mounting is pretty much limited to a corner of the vehicle possibly on the bumper of tire carrier unless you really want to drill a hold in the body and stick a mount there. (think potential of a rusty hole(s) though)

In terms of radio mounting, for CB there are 1 hander units which is basically a mic with all the controls in the mic and a small control box mounted in a hidden location. These work ok, but are limited in features (eg no SSB) for example but solve the one big dilemma of where to mount the guts/box. If you are a ham, I kind of like the new VHF/UHF/HF rigs with removable face plates which mean you can stick the control portion pretty much in any available spot and run a thin wire back to the guts of the radio which might be mounted under a seat. There is also a loaded VHF/UHF/HF antenna that is available for these rigs so you can avoid looking like an antenna farm. But usually a jack of all trades antenna especially one with such broad coverage might not be idea. But again solves some problems.

GMRS/FRS, again depends but any of the radios I have ever used have never come close to achieving their advertised range but are handy if you are in a close range convoy situation. Doing a bit of googling, it appears that there is a nationwide calling channel, "
GMRS is very popular with REACT and other Public Service groups. 462.675, PL 141.3 is recognized as a nationwide calling channel" REACT was/is a citizens group that originally monitored CB channel 9 for emergencies.

Some useful information for those in the US here,
http://www.carmachicago.com/profiles/FRSMURSGMRS.pdf

CB radio outside of north america can be slightly different in terms of band/channel spacing, it also seemed to me that in europe their radios run FM instead of AM which would help reduce the amount of noise we typically hear on our AM based radios. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_band_radio#United_Kingdom

Unattainable 10 mile range.... well, running legally I would say it's possible but will depend a great deal on your radio, how well you have matched your antenna, type of antenna and where it is located on the vehicle. Also the terrain you are in, eg top of hill or in a deep valley surrounded by trees, rock though terrain is going to affect any radio.... Also atmospheric conditions eg skip.... however having contact with someone in Puerto Rico when you are in an emergency situation might not be ideal, granted if they can send an email then perhaps...

Granted if I were to compare a hand held GMRS/FRS radio to my SSB CB radio with 5/8 wave antenna running 1:1 match at legal power I would take the CB. But the big wild card, is there someone out there that will hear me on the frequencies I am able to transmit on.... why I would hedge my bet with other tools in the box....

Errick

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2020 Wrangler JL, Corvette
Occupation
Retired
2 meter... Ham radio frequency available to all hams with basic license. Cannot be used to contact cb bands.

Potentially much greater range depending on power level, antenna, and terrain.

Vzandt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Liberty
Unless you get some altitude or use a mountain top repeater, you won't have that much range due to the curvature of the earth.
I have easily worked Russia and Israel along with man other countries from my Jeep with a modest antenna.
Scott
N2WMD

Sponsored

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I have easily worked Russia and Israel along with man other countries from my Jeep with a modest antenna.
Scott
N2WMD
In English please

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Scott
N2WMD
On 2 meters? Were you using satellite repeater? I've had conversations with Europe on HF while driving up to MI in my old TJ using a CB whip.

For those unfamiliar, 2 meters is normally local similar to public service (fire, police) and HF is better for long distance communication where you bounce your signal off the atmosphere to the over the horizon.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Scott
N2WMD
In English please
"I have used my radio to communicate with operators in Russia and Isreal along with many other countries from my Jeep with a fairly simple antenna".

10-4 good buddy?

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On HF you can definitely work some really far off places. But working distant sites via a satellite repeater is really cool....

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Really want to install a CB radio - but haven't because I hate the fact of having to have a huge antenna mounted. Is that the only option or is there another option other than 4' antennas?
See my post here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/best-way-to-call-for-help.32332/

I too have come to the conclusion that CB/HAM/FRS/GMRS are all useless for calling for help. There is no one at any agency [gov] that monitors a specially selected channel/frequency. So it would be like screaming for help in a vacuum.

If I do buy anything it'll be a satellite based device, like was mentioned above (InReach). That way I can take it when I go on foot too.

This weekend I did a 12 mile long high altitude hike and stepped on some snow on the trail next to a fallen tree. The snow broke away under my foot because of the cavity caused by melt (think tree well) and my leg sunk in up to my knee. I fell over, bent my trekking pole. And laid there thinking how easily I could have screwed up my knee -- 6 miles from my car. That CB/HAM, if I had one in my car, would have done me no good, as far as I can tell. Even a hand held on my person, if I had it in my pack, would not help because nobody is listening.

I've been doing the lone-wolf thing for a long time. And my dog is usually my only companion. I've known about InReach for a long time now, but never did it for two reasons: 1. price for both the device purchase and the monthly subscription. 2. I keep hearing that these devices have a hard time reaching the satellites. So just like CB/HAM you could be carrying a paper weight.

Sponsored

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
I too have come to the conclusion that CB/HAM/FRS/GMRS are all useless for calling for help. There is no one at any agency [gov] that monitors a specially selected channel/frequency. So it would be like screaming for help in a vacuum.
You don't carry a mobile 2 way radio hoping a gov agency is listening if you need help, it's the people that are listening that help..ham radio specifically. I am not saying that any of it is fool proof or that a sat device isn't a good idea though it isn't perfect either, but having a ham radio isn't useless. Colorado has a large linked repeater system as do many states and with that kind of foot print you are likely to make contact with someone and just because you don't hear anyone on the repeater doesn't mean nobody is listening. Many hams monitor local repeaters. Even Big Bend National Park in a pretty remote area of Texas (Tx/Mx border) has good linked repeater coverage. The Rubicon Trail has great repeater and APRS coverage.

Sure it may not work for everybody everywhere but saying ham radio is useless is a bit over exaggerated.
CB/GMRS/FRS are good for group/convoy comms but you are less likely to find someone listening with in the relatively short simplex range....

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
You don't carry a mobile 2 way radio hoping a gov agency is listening if you need help, it's the people that are listening that help..ham radio specifically. I am not saying that any of it is fool proof or that a sat device isn't a good idea though it isn't perfect either, but having a ham radio isn't useless. Colorado has a large linked repeater system as do many states and with that kind of foot print you are likely to make contact with someone and just because you don't hear anyone on the repeater doesn't mean nobody is listening. Many hams monitor local repeaters. Even Big Bend National Park in a pretty remote area of Texas (Tx/Mx border) has good linked repeater coverage. The Rubicon Trail has great repeater and APRS coverage.

Sure it may not work for everybody everywhere but saying ham radio is useless is a bit over exaggerated.
CB/GMRS/FRS are good for group/convoy comms but you are less likely to find someone listening with in the relatively short simplex range....
Thank you. I agree whole heartedly. I know whenever I'm driving, I am monitoring local repeaters.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)

I guess having both wouldn't be a bad idea, but with HAM, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of learning I'd have to do. It's also really hard to know which radio to buy. For instance, the Baofeng radios i looked at listed a bunch of frequencies, but I have no idea if they are HAM or APRS pr GMRS or whatever capable. Entry into the HAM world is not easy.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
See my post here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/best-way-to-call-for-help.32332/

If I do buy anything it'll be a satellite based device, like was mentioned above (InReach). That way I can take it when I go on foot too.

<snip>

I've been doing the lone-wolf thing for a long time. And my dog is usually my only companion. I've known about InReach for a long time now, but never did it for two reasons: 1. price for both the device purchase and the monthly subscription. 2. I keep hearing that these devices have a hard time reaching the satellites. So just like CB/HAM you could be carrying a paper weight.
Don't think gov't agencies have monitored CB in decades, in the 70's many police departments monitored CB channel 9 as well as REACT however police haven't had CB in their cruisers in a long time at least up here where I live. REACT still exists but it seems to be hit and miss as to where/who is monitoring and on what frequencies. As prerunner1982 mentions it's operators who are listening anyway. Ham operators still set up 'nets' in times of need, eg severe weather events or even search and rescue. This might be of interest ( https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=101079.0 ), I realize that Ham radio seems to be on the decline but given that many of us have very capable off road vehicles being a Ham and volunteering to help when needed could be a life saver. (I was Coast Guard Reserve so I was trained in SAR, first Aid and radio, all very handy skills to have).

Personally I would go Ham radio + CB to give me the most possible options.

Sat sounds interesting but it needs a clear shot to the sky as far as I understand it. Granted the Inreach devices look very handy, especially since it will provide SAR resources with your GPS location which is invaluable information.
Sponsored