Sponsored

CB Radio Antennas - Huge antennas necessary?!

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I guess having both wouldn't be a bad idea, but with HAM, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of learning I'd have to do. It's also really hard to know which radio to buy. For instance, the Baofeng radios i looked at listed a bunch of frequencies, but I have no idea if they are HAM or APRS pr GMRS or whatever capable. Entry into the HAM world is not easy.
Actually it is not that difficult at all any longer, well at least if you are looking at the basic license. For that you no longer need morse code. For the more advanced licenses which allow you to operate on other frequencies eg HF then yes more theory is required. I'm up in Canada so our requirements may be slightly different. But I would look here, http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

Baofeng is a Chinese company that makes VHF/UHF radios that a lot of ham radio operators are running. They seem decently built vs cost and for just starting out are probably ok. Plus operate on VHF (2 meter) 144.000 MHz – 148.000 MHz, and UHF (70cm) 430.000 MHz – 440.000 MHz (420.000 MHz – 450.000 MHz) for example. The radios are fairly easy to program with a computer, USB cable and dedicated software or can be programmed through the keypad on the radio.

These radios are not technically legal to operate on FRS channels even though they can be programmed for them, nor are they legal to operate on GMRS.

The confusing part is that these radios can be programmed to operate on these frequencies and if you happen across one of the two available quad band radios that operate on 10 meters, VHF and UHF they can actually be programmed to illegally operate on CB, FRS and GMRS bands......
Sponsored

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
I guess having both wouldn't be a bad idea, but with HAM, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of learning I'd have to do. It's also really hard to know which radio to buy. For instance, the Baofeng radios i looked at listed a bunch of frequencies, but I have no idea if they are HAM or APRS pr GMRS or whatever capable. Entry into the HAM world is not easy.
Oh I completely understand how overwhelming it can be for someone who doesn't already have some interest in it. All the different radios, modes, aprs, dprs, d-star, fusion, dmr, etc.... I know people who have problems picking a CB radio and they are all pretty much the same.
Baofengs..... they are only legal on ham frequencies and some on business band/land mobile frequencies (unless others noted such as their GMRS specific radios). Though the Baofengs can do many other frequencies such as MURS, FRS, GMRS, public safety, etc they are not legal to use there.

If you were interested in getting a ham license and have any questions I would be more than happy to help, you are welcome to PM me with any questions/concerns you may have.

Diesel550

First Name
Addam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I've run CB with a small linear before and gotten plenty of range.
Get everything installed correctly in a vehicle, tune your antenna and depending on the linear, reach out 50-150 miles.
Most truckers, active CB users and a few other Jeep owners I know run some sort of linear. You can always find an active channel.
FCC still says a CB amplifier is illegal, but no one enforces it nor does anyone really care. There are too many of them in operation.
Just my 2cents

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I travel a lot always have my cb on channel 19. To help and be helped with directions, etc.
Going to put a cb in the JL
What channel do most Jeepers use? 4?

Diesel550

First Name
Addam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Good question. Is there a channel most jeep owners use?

Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Since I also scuba, I have an EPRIB until that will transmit an emergency beacon if ***truly*** a life threatening emergency. It is not a 2 way device but just sends a signal to a satellite which is monitored and when it is activated rescue WILL be dispatched.

EDIT: I have the ResQLink+. It cost me about $250.00 and you have to register it every year with the government so they know who you are. Many avid hikers also take them. If you plan on off-roading in a truly remote area where cell phones are no good, and no one is around for miles, then I suggest an EPIRB. Put it in the glovebox and forget about it until you need it.
Sponsored