CB antenna mount on CavFab tire carrier

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Finally got around to ordering a CB, now in the process of trying to figure out where to mount the antenna. I've never had a CB before so this is all new territory for me.

I'm curious to see where, and what type of bracket people have used for mounting their CB antenna to their CavFab heavy duty tire carrier.
Sponsored

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
Finally got around to ordering a CB, now in the process of trying to figure out where to mount the antenna. I've never had a CB before so this is all new territory for me.

I'm curious to see where, and what type of bracket people have used for mounting their CB antenna to their CavFab heavy duty tire carrier.
Ive been wondering the same thing....I think I'm going to come of the back of the the adjustable mount where the tire is actually on I have the top two holes still avail... the mount sits on the third hole down with 37s...I need a fabricator to make and aluminum bracket to finish it

OP
OP
Jhawth

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Ive been wondering the same thing....I think I'm going to come of the back of the the adjustable mount where the tire is actually on I have the top two holes still avail... the mount sits on the third hole down with 37s...I need a fabricator to make and aluminum bracket to finish it
I thought about the same spot but don't want to sandwich the antenna between the tire and the body of the Jeep. If I hit something with the antenna I want it to be able to move freely so it won't break

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I thought about the same spot but don't want to sandwich the antenna between the tire and the body of the Jeep. If I hit something with the antenna I want it to be able to move freely so it won't break
I've got the Cavfab Elite, so I'm familiar with it. I just mounted my gmrs antenna on the driver side windshield cowl, but will be mounting my trail flag disconnect fitting to the carriers upper accessory bolt between the spare and the hinges. A simple 90° bracket is all we would need, and your antenna and my flag pole will be free and open but out of the way.

Jeep Wrangler JL CB antenna mount on CavFab tire carrier 20210716_152826

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the Cavfab Elite, so I'm familiar with it. I just mounted my gmrs antenna on the driver side windshield cowl, but will be mounting my trail flag disconnect fitting to the carriers upper accessory bolt between the spare and the hinges. A simple 90° bracket is all we would need, and your antenna and my flag pole will be free and open but out of the way.

Still loving that red CavFab tag on yours and mine 😁

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jhawth

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

I was eyeing up that spot last night, think I'll fab up a simple bracket with a lip on it to catch on the bottom to keep it from rotating with just one bolt holding it on.

I have mixed feelings on drilling and tapping a second hole to keep the bracket from rotating lol.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was eyeing up that spot last night, think I'll fab up a simple bracket with a lip on it to catch on the bottom to keep it from rotating with just one bolt holding it on.

I have mixed feelings on drilling and tapping a second hole to keep the bracket from rotating lol.
The CoolTech antenna mount that I just installed was designed with the same approach to maintaining a level position. I too would prefer not having to drill any extra holes.

Jeep Wrangler JL CB antenna mount on CavFab tire carrier 20220513_110018

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever end up mounting anything to carrier? Looking for antenna mount ideas.
Only thing I've attached to Cavfab Elite carrier is a stainless quick detach stud for a trail flag. The brand is Handy Flag. I didn't bother making any special bracket for it because once it's on, it's staying there. I just simply drilled a hole in the upper ledge, about halfway between the hinges and the spare.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Only thing I've attached to Cavfab Elite carrier is a stainless quick detach stud for a trail flag. The brand is Handy Flag. I didn't bother making any special bracket for it because once it's on, it's staying there. I just simply drilled a hole in the upper ledge, about halfway between the hinges and the spare.
Ya, I got off my ass and looked. I'm just gonna drill into it as well.

Thanks

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, I got off my ass and looked. I'm just gonna drill into it as well.

Thanks
Just curious, is there any specific reason for having the comms antenna on the rear vs the front? I recently installed a Midland gmrs radio that has all of its controls on the handheld rather than on the main box. That box is under my front passenger seat, which allows the mic to sit in an easy to reach but out of the way spot on the dash. And the power harness goes through the driver side of the firewall to the main battery. Since everything else is contained in the front, I thought it made sense to do the same with the antenna. I used the cowl mount from the company CoolTech, so it minimized the distance to worry about neatly run the cable. I also read that reception is better when the antenna is on the front vs rear. Not sure how true that is, but it sounded good at the time.

It also dubs as an early warning for low ceilings in that spot...
Jeep Wrangler JL CB antenna mount on CavFab tire carrier 20220830_202054

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Just curious, is there any specific reason for having the comms antenna on the rear vs the front? I recently installed a Midland gmrs radio that has all of its controls on the handheld rather than on the main box. That box is under my front passenger seat, which allows the mic to sit in an easy to reach but out of the way spot on the dash. And the power harness goes through the driver side of the firewall to the main battery. Since everything else is contained in the front, I thought it made sense to do the same with the antenna. I used the cowl mount from the company CoolTech, so it minimized the distance to worry about neatly run the cable. I also read that reception is better when the antenna is on the front vs rear. Not sure how true that is, but it sounded good at the time.

It also dubs as an early warning for low ceilings in that spot...
Jeep Wrangler JL CB antenna mount on CavFab tire carrier 20220830_202054
Honestly no. It's a consideration for sure. Although if I do a front mount CB antenna, I would probably not use a Firestik and get a more flexible antenna.
Sponsored