First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I have been running with Teraflex HD tire carriers for years on my Wranglers. They are adjustable, no rattles and never any issue with them. Plus easy to install.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Just installed the Cavfab about 2 weeks ago. It is rock solid, has no rattles and has significant adjustability in/out and up/down. There is really no dependence on the tailgate except for something to latch closed. The assembly literally carries the tire and the tailgate both, if that makes any sense.
It was a pain in the ass to paint, but it turned out pretty well. I like the camera and tag mounts that are included.
Wheel/tire combo comes in at 104 lbs.

CF.jpg
CF1.jpg
Wheel/tire combo comes in at 104 lbs.
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
I have been running with Teraflex HD tire carriers for years on my Wranglers. They are adjustable, no rattles and never any issue with them. Plus easy to install.
I had their HD carrier on my JK. It was an excellent set up.

J1337P

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLUD
I second the teraflex.. install is super easy with the backup camera and 3rd brake light. It’s solid no rattle and it’s not a big bulky contraption like a lot of these other ones that can handle big tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cavfab VS TeraFlex Tire Carriers 0460092E-41D9-43F0-B1DC-65D8211B3FBC

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The Teraflex tailgate reinforcement looks like it spreads the weight further across the gate.
Not sure how that is possible since there are no bolts past what is there from the OEM and in the end the carrier should be self-supporting with the tailgate only attaching to it and not being a load bearing member.

Both of them hold the same amount of weight with all of it focused on the tub mount and hinge.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I replaced an Ace tire carrier with Teraflex. I was very close to going Cavfab and it came down to the material (aluminum), the curve along the tailgate, and the way the third brake light attaches. I didn't want to have to bust out a wrench set get to the spare if need be, so the brake light mount was important. @CarbonSteel solved the third brake light issue quite well, though.

Ultimately, both Cavfab and Teraflex seem like great options and you can't go wrong with either. I feel they're the best out there.

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
I have the Teraflex (still to be installed) and I wouldn't call it light! I chose TF because I was worried about the CF rusting from the inside out where the powder coating can't reach. And I just thought the TF looked more OEM.
Yeah, you can call the TeraFlex carrier a lot of things, but "light" isn't one of them.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced an Ace tire carrier with Teraflex. I was very close to going Cavfab and it came down to the material (aluminum), the curve along the tailgate, and the way the third brake light attaches. I didn't want to have to bust out a wrench set get to the spare if need be, so the brake light mount was important. @CarbonSteel solved the third brake light issue quite well, though.

Ultimately, both Cavfab and Teraflex seem like great options and you can't go wrong with either. I feel they're the best out there.
Curious as to the difference in the curve on the tailgate between the two. The CavFab is curved perfectly to match that of the tailgate.

For the curious, I used an LOD camera relocation kit. I did not want to have to do "anything" to remove the spare other than removing the 3 lug nuts. I kept the license plate in its stock location and used a third brake light ring to prevent relocating the light.

The brake light ring was plug and play so that I did not have to cut into any factory wires. I do plan to take the OEM brake light and post and fabricate a bracket that will bolt to the side of the CavFab thereby restoring the stock location of it. I just have not had a chance yet :)

LOD = https://lodoffroad.com/products/2018-jl-rearview-camera-relocation-kit

Brake light ring = https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QFNKTCC

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Curious as to the difference in the curve on the tailgate between the two. The CavFab is curved perfectly to match that of the tailgate.
I can only speak to the Teraflex. The backside is not flat. There’s a subtle curve to it. I had heard that the backside of the Cavfab was flat, but those reports could be wrong. This wasn’t the key issue for me, but was part of my thought process of picking between the two.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can only speak to the Teraflex. The backside is not flat. There’s a subtle curve to it. I had heard that the backside of the Cavfab was flat, but those reports could be wrong. This wasn’t the key issue for me, but was part of my thought process of picking between the two.
Yep; totally wrong information in those reports. The CavFab is curved to fit the tailgate. If it were not and given that it is built of 3/16" steel, it would bend the tailgate (which is aluminum) or pull the bolt mounts out and destroy the tailgate.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yep; totally wrong information in those reports. The CavFab is curved to fit the tailgate. If it were not and given that it is built of 3/16" steel, it would bend the tailgate (which is aluminum) or pull the bolt mounts out and destroy the tailgate.
Good to know!

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
CavFab. Gotta wonder what Teraflex hides under that coating.
I can tell you exactly; the main body and hinge mount are a A356.2SR aluminum casting, with a T6 heat treatment, which is then E coated for the base coat then 3 layer polyester powder coated for the top coat.