First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Typically when going on a wheeling trip I remove the kids seats, fold down my rear seat, and throw the spare in the back (and secure it with ratchet straps). My girls (age 2 & 5) joined me and the wife on our latest trip to Uwharrie and loved it! They loved off-roading, playing with the other kids, and playing on the rocks (with supervision of course)! So they will likely be joining me on future wheeling trips. When traveling to Uwharrie, I had the spare ratchet strapped in a basket which worked well. But I did not have the spare with me when on the trails. I really do not want to put the spare on the tailgate but I may choose to do so. My fear is when dropping off an obstacle/rock, hitting my tire on it and damaging my tailgate.

So the million dollar question, what does everyone recommend? Pros or cons? I currently am running 37s but may upgrade to 39s/40s sometime later. The cost will probably equal out in the end because I will get the Cavfab carrier powder coated since it comes in bare steel. Thanks in advance for your responses. I'd also love to hear from people who don't take a spare with them. I have a tire repair kit with me at all times and I have a dual ARB compressor installed so if I have to plug a tire it's no issue (I've plugged one of my current tires). But if I slashed a sidewall, that wouldn't be good.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cavfab VS TeraFlex Tire Carriers 67145910925__F8E0E2FC-801E-4C8A-8BA2-4878C2979A31
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
CAVFAB is $650 +tax and ships raw steel (you're tracking already though). Includes license plate, brake light, and camera mount combo holder.

Teraflex is $1,115 +tax and ships already painted. It includes a brake light/camera mount combo holder (no license plate holder might be an issue for you).

They both offer hinge reinforcement which the Mopar version lacks. They both look like they work with OEM and aftermarket bumpers. The Teraflex tailgate reinforcement looks like it spreads the weight further across the gate. Teraflex is also supposed to be making accessories that can mount to their reinforcement bracket.

A bonus to running with a spare delete is the weight savings, do you have AAA or a contact nearby who can bring your spare out to you?

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
CAVFAB is $650 +tax and ships raw steel (you're tracking already though). Includes license plate, brake light, and camera mount combo holder.

Teraflex is $1,115 +tax and ships already painted. It includes a brake light/camera mount combo holder (no license plate holder might be an issue for you).

They both offer hinge reinforcement which the Mopar version lacks. They both look like they work with OEM and aftermarket bumpers. The Teraflex tailgate reinforcement looks like it spreads the weight further across the gate. Teraflex is also supposed to be making accessories that can mount to their reinforcement bracket.

A bonus to running with a spare delete is the weight savings, do you have AAA or a contact nearby who can bring your spare out to you?
I'm leaning towards the TeraFlex carrier even though it's more expensive. The quality of their powder coating is excellent. I had the TeraFlex carrier on my JKU. I agree, it does seem to spread the weight further across the tailgate, and that's pointed out in their videos. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
My TeraFlex is rock solid with a 99-pound spare.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cavfab VS TeraFlex Tire Carriers 8170782A-F0C0-4C43-886F-B464C6AC2A7B

According to their rep here they plan to release a compatible license plate relocation kit by the end of the year.
Crap, I never considered where I'd relocate my license plate.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If the Teraflex carrier mounts at the same height on their reinforcement as it does on the gate itself, than the Cavfab Elite hinged carrier can mount the spare higher up. I used to have the Alpha HD carrier, but needed a hinged reinforcement and they were extremely slow to market with theirs, so I ditched it for the Cavfab Elite.

The beauty of it showing up in bare steal, is it gives one the control over having it powder coated by a reputable shop. Mine was done to match the lightly textured black of the mopar steel front bumper. They did an amazing job with it and it still looks pristine after 2 years without anything more than a rinse down after the salty winters.

Here's pics of the same 38x13.5 and wheel on both the Teraflex Alpha and the Cavfab Elite, which were set to the highest pisitions..position...
Jeep Wrangler JL Cavfab VS TeraFlex Tire Carriers 20200813_083647_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Cavfab VS TeraFlex Tire Carriers 20201223_135240_resized

And the Cavfab with my current 40x13.5, and it still hardly knows its there. The hinges are ridiculously strong and have Oilite bronze bushings, which are self lubricating while also having a high wear resistance.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cavfab VS TeraFlex Tire Carriers 20220305_101559_resized_20220424-124422

Five Seasons

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2009 BMW 135i, 2002 Honda S2000,
The biggest difference between the two is that one is made from extruded aluminum and the other is steel. The aluminum will be lighter, more corrosion resistant but more expensive.

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
If the Teraflex carrier mounts at the same height on their reinforcement as it does on the gate itself, than the Cavfab Elite hinged carrier can mount the spare higher up. I used to have the Alpha HD carrier, but needed a hinged reinforcement and they were extremely slow to market with theirs, so I ditched it for the Cavfab Elite.

The beauty of it showing up in bare steal, is it gives one the control over having it powder coated by a reputable shop. Mine was done to match the lightly textured black of the mopar steel front bumper. They did an amazing job with it and it still looks pristine after 2 years without anything more than a rinse down after the salty winters.

Here's pics of the same 38x13.5 and wheel on both the Teraflex Alpha and the Cavfab Elite, which were set to the highest pisitions..position...
Jeep Wrangler JL Cavfab VS TeraFlex Tire Carriers 20220305_101559_resized_20220424-124422

And the Cavfab with my current 40x13.5, and it still hardly knows its there. The hinges are ridiculously strong and have Oilite bronze bushings, which are self lubricating while also having a high wear resistance.
Thank you for the photos! I saw that the Cavfab carrier is adjustable and I was wondering how much more I could raise my spare. This post is extremely helpful! Also I see that an ARB diff cover will work with the MetalCloak diff slider! I will be purchasing an ARB diff cover for the rear. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager

Jeep Wrangler JL Cavfab VS TeraFlex Tire Carriers 9042410651853367759

Any rattling from the carrier and spare at all?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
The biggest difference between the two is that one is made from extruded aluminum and the other is steel. The aluminum will be lighter, more corrosion resistant but more expensive.
I have the Teraflex (still to be installed) and I wouldn't call it light! I chose TF because I was worried about the CF rusting from the inside out where the powder coating can't reach. And I just thought the TF looked more OEM.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed the Cavfab about 2 weeks ago. It is rock solid, has no rattles and has significant adjustability in/out and up/down. There is really no dependence on the tailgate except for something to latch closed. The assembly literally carries the tire and the tailgate both, if that makes any sense.
It was a pain in the ass to paint, but it turned out pretty well. I like the camera and tag mounts that are included.
Wheel/tire combo comes in at 104 lbs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cavfab VS TeraFlex Tire Carriers CF
Jeep Wrangler JL Cavfab VS TeraFlex Tire Carriers CF1
Wheel/tire combo comes in at 104 lbs.
Sponsored