CavFab JL / JLU Elite Series HD Tire Carrier

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I was able to get a spacer from a buddy thankfully. 1.5 inches is the perfect size because any bigger and you wouldn't be able to attach the license plate bracket. It might be a good idea for Cavfab to update their website so people know going into it that they'll have to run a spacer if they're still on the stock wheels. Or better yet, give people the option to buy a spacer with the kit so everything is in the box ready to go.
Sponsored

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
These have continued to be our most popular JL part we offer. See photos below submitted by customers who have recently installed our carrier!

CF0D52A5-662B-44C5-8066-1852AB229712.jpeg

6D2E7E18-0EE4-499D-95A2-0E601E9C9B3B.jpeg

Who makes the rotopax mount for the back I like it

OP
OP
CavFab_mfg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
Aftermarket Jeep Product Manufacturer
Giving this thread a bump! I managed to lose login credentials here and havent been around in quite some time.

We have updated the website to allow you to select an 18-20 model or a 21+ as the Camera mount changed for the 21s.

Let us know if you guys have any questions!

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Giving this thread a bump! I managed to lose login credentials here and havent been around in quite some time.

We have updated the website to allow you to select an 18-20 model or a 21+ as the Camera mount changed for the 21s.

Let us know if you guys have any questions!
Can I please get some help with my tire carrier? No matter what I do, I can not get it adjusted to sit above the striker with no spare mounted. As soon as I mount my 35"/beadlock it sags almost a 1/4 below the striker. I don't know if I'll ever be able to upgrade to a 37" because how much it sags with weight. I know this design isn't supposed to need any spacers, but I can not get mine adjusted at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CavFab_mfg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation

Sponsored

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@CavFab_mfg about how many hours does it take for an experienced shop to install this carrier, assuming it is their go to? I have heard Rustys takes about 2-3 hours.

OP
OP
CavFab_mfg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
@CavFab_mfg about how many hours does it take for an experienced shop to install this carrier, assuming it is their go to? I have heard Rustys takes about 2-3 hours.
Id say 2 hours max. The Rustys Carrier (dont take this as a bash) requires lots of drilling which I could see adding to the install time. Install is very simple and if being done by an experienced shop should be a quick process.

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Love mine!
As far as the person having issues lining the striker up. What I found easiest was to align mine was this, after thinking it through this is super straight forward and worked great first shot.

-Mount the tire on the carrier and tighten up everything that holds the tire to the tire carrier
-Tighten up bolts holding tire carrier to the body/Jeep.
-leave any bolts holding the tailgate to the tire carrier loose (but started by hand). This includes the 4 bigger bolts that held the factory hinges to the tailgate

At this point the tire carrier is mounted to the Jeep andshould swing freely. A big reason I liked this carrier specifically, Was this carrier does not depend on the stock tailgate as a stressed member to hold anything together. All of the forces from the tire are going through the cavfab carrier, through the hinges and into the body. The stock setup and most other tire carriers require the tailgate itself to still carry a load, which is the whole reason your upgrading carriers most likely, to avoid issues due to these stresses.

Now with this, to get everything aligned… the tailgate itself is literally just being held by the carrier, so we just need it in the right spot when it closes. So what we do from here is:

-slowly close gate/carrier fully and allow it to latch. Being as the tailgate is loose on the carrier it can float around into position
-use shims/spudgers and whatever else you want to move the tailgate around so it is where you want it in its closed position.
-once everything is lined up, body gaps and stuff are where you want them go around and snug up all of the bolts holding the tailgate to the tire carrier by hand

At this point your pretty much done. I opened my tailgate and took the tire off so I had more room to work at this point, but you just need to go through and tightened the rest of the bolts and verify alignment one more time when your done. Easy peasy!

CBB0B468-FE2F-439D-BF09-A4C64DD99B46.jpeg

7DD6010E-5F76-41DE-A8C2-A45CACD03087.jpeg

OP
OP
CavFab_mfg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
Love mine!
As far as the person having issues lining the striker up. What I found easiest was to align mine was this, after thinking it through this is super straight forward and worked great first shot.

-Mount the tire on the carrier and tighten up everything that holds the tire to the tire carrier
-Tighten up bolts holding tire carrier to the body/Jeep.
-leave any bolts holding the tailgate to the tire carrier loose (but started by hand). This includes the 4 bigger bolts that held the factory hinges to the tailgate

At this point the tire carrier is mounted to the Jeep andshould swing freely. A big reason I liked this carrier specifically, Was this carrier does not depend on the stock tailgate as a stressed member to hold anything together. All of the forces from the tire are going through the cavfab carrier, through the hinges and into the body. The stock setup and most other tire carriers require the tailgate itself to still carry a load, which is the whole reason your upgrading carriers most likely, to avoid issues due to these stresses.

Now with this, to get everything aligned… the tailgate itself is literally just being held by the carrier, so we just need it in the right spot when it closes. So what we do from here is:

-slowly close gate/carrier fully and allow it to latch. Being as the tailgate is loose on the carrier it can float around into position
-use shims/spudgers and whatever else you want to move the tailgate around so it is where you want it in its closed position.
-once everything is lined up, body gaps and stuff are where you want them go around and snug up all of the bolts holding the tailgate to the tire carrier by hand

At this point your pretty much done. I opened my tailgate and took the tire off so I had more room to work at this point, but you just need to go through and tightened the rest of the bolts and verify alignment one more time when your done. Easy peasy!

Jeep Wrangler JL CavFab JL / JLU Elite Series HD Tire Carrier 7DD6010E-5F76-41DE-A8C2-A45CACD03087

Jeep Wrangler JL CavFab JL / JLU Elite Series HD Tire Carrier 7DD6010E-5F76-41DE-A8C2-A45CACD03087
Thanks for the review. Jeep looks great!

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Sorry I didn't get those yesterday, I wasn't around the JL and couldn't get a photo, but will today.
I can personally guarantee you this will be the last carrier you ever buy. There is a TON of adjustability as it pertains to pulling the tire in or pushing away from the gate, to give you an idea...these are 24x14" American Forces (I know I know) that one of our customers are running on our carrier :P

What bracket are those holding the Rotopax? I can't find them on your site if it is something you all make.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CavFab_mfg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
What bracket are those holding the Rotopax? I can't find them on your site if it is something you all make.
Not sure whose those are. Potentially Rebel?

OP
OP
CavFab_mfg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
We were recently invited to be on the JeepBeef podcast to talk about HD Tire Carriers.

Check it out here:

OP
OP
CavFab_mfg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
We have been cranking these things out like hot cakes! The Elite Series tire carrier has been a popular option for 3 years now.

Let us know if we can help!

OP
OP
CavFab_mfg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
We just dropped our Black Friday sale! This is the largest sale we have ever had (and most likely will ever have).

21% off all parts we manufacture. This includes carriers, bumpers, and more! If youve been on the fence about ordering, now is your chance to save some cash.

CODE: BLACKOUT21

JLBlackoutSaleTest.png

OP
OP
CavFab_mfg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
These are $515 with our current BLACKOUT21 code. You are not going to find a better carrier at this price, period. Made 100% in the USA, laser cut, press formed American Steel. Self lubricating bushings, tons of vertical and horizontal adjustment, included plate and camera mount, and no drilling into your tailgate.

CavFab.com
Code: BLACKOUT21
Sponsored