First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
Aftermarket Jeep Product Manufacturer
15% off NOW through the end of the year!

Code: EOY15

black_jeep_jl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
@CavFab_mfg and for those of you who have the brake light/camera/license plate relocation— how hard is it to disconnect everything when it comes time to take off the spare tire? I’ve heard it’s a pain to do and I know there are more convenient options out there… I have the carrier which came with the relocation kit but want to know if I should seek out other more convenient options.

Javwohl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 vw gti, 2001 dodge ram, 2023 jlr punk'n
Occupation
engineer
@CavFab_mfg and for those of you who have the brake light/camera/license plate relocation— how hard is it to disconnect everything when it comes time to take off the spare tire? I’ve heard it’s a pain to do and I know there are more convenient options out there… I have the carrier which came with the relocation kit but want to know if I should seek out other more convenient options.
Personally I didn’t want to have to worry about removing anything other then the tire when needing to take it off, so I got the lod camera relocation and used that.

black_jeep_jl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally I didn’t want to have to worry about removing anything other then the tire when needing to take it off, so I got the lod camera relocation and used that.
Yep, I already have the teraflex camera and brake light relocation (that came with the Alpha HD tire carrier) and I’ve read that some people just attached that to the CavFab carrier. For that you just have to disconnect the brake light for removal, which isn’t bad. The CavFab one seems much more complex than that, with a lot more stuff to worry about disconnecting.

As far as license plate relocation, what did you use? I was thinking about the CURT tow hitch relocation but haven’t found many JL owners with it. Also need to find a good license plate light.

Sponsored

Javwohl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
As far as license plate relocation, what did you use? I was thinking about the CURT tow hitch relocation but haven’t found many JL owners with it. Also need to find a good license plate light.
Since i have the stock steel rear bumper I didn’t relocate the license plate one of the reasons I haven’t changed my rear bumper yet. I haven’t really found away to relocate the plate without adding it to the spare tire area and just not a fan.

black_jeep_jl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since i have the stock steel rear bumper I didn’t relocate the license plate one of the reasons I haven’t changed my rear bumper yet. I haven’t really found away to relocate the plate without adding it to the spare tire area and just not a fan.
I get it. I have the OEM steel bumper too, but it was damaged when someone rear-ended me, so I decided to go aftermarket. If not for that, I would’ve kept the OEM one and wouldn’t have to worry about any of this.

Javwohl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
I get it. I have the OEM steel bumper too, but it was damaged when someone rear-ended me, so I decided to go aftermarket. If not for that, I would’ve kept the OEM one and wouldn’t have to worry about any of this.
Oh I get that also, if it want for insurance replacing mine at the moment I might start looking seriously into getting something else.

I will say this for the cavfab tire carrier, my jeep was backed into by a semi and pushed back into a set of concrete steps hard enough that the tailgate cracked but the tire carrier looked undamaged.

Now there might have been unseen damage that the body shop found and had it replaced but nothing could see with the naked eye.

OP
OP
CavFab_mfg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
Aftermarket Jeep Product Manufacturer
When you are shopping for a new carrier, be sure to give us a look! We have offered our elite series carrier for 3+ years now...and have had nothing but great feedback from all of our customers!

*Capable of holding a 42" tire + Beadlock
*Simple NO DRILL install (dont have to turn your tailgate into swiss cheese)
*NO Maintenance Bushings (Self lubricating, squeak / rattle free)
*Made in the USA

Over the years we have made incremental improvements to this carrier in what we believe is the best JL carrier on the market, priced extremely competitively for similar kits.

As always take 10% off our JL parts lineup with code: JLFORUM
Sponsored