Sponsored

Cautionary tale regarding axle shafts...

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Sooo my rear axle shaft flanges are bent at 20,000 miles...

I’ll preface this by saying the diesel engine/emissions equipment weight is far from the only factor involved. While my AEV Borahs and Pintlers are relatively close to OEM backspacing, they’re strapped with 37” and 35” rubber respectively. I’ve hit thousands of arctic/subarctic frost heaves at speeds well over 60mph. I’ve run over 1000 miles of washboard at similar speeds, and low-speed flexed my axles on dozens of trails in AK. I’ve got 500-600lbs of added sprung weight in mods before adding trip gear. That said, I know many of you also run heavy setups and got the diesel, in-part, to manage the weight better. I wanted to just swap my OEM shafts with RCV but of course their production is backed up 3-6 months. I’m back to some throwaway shafts until they can get me what I need. At any rate, keep free-spinning those wheels folks...if you want to run heavy and hard, you’ll be feeling/hearing that brake bind sooner or later.
Sponsored

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
Holy cow. That concerns me a tad as I know I’m heavy!!!!

BC8B4245-7C23-4081-A8FA-04B97F16E8A4.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLURD

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Are you sure the housing itself isn’t bent as well?
Spoke too soon. Swapped shafts, brake binding went down about 90% temporarily and the low-speed shudder I was having was unchanged. Went on a couple road trips, brake bind worsened beyond prior severity, gear oil started to leak from the flange end of the housing and it turns out the housing was bent too. Awaiting replacement. Seems AK is a good place to find the limits of the D44.
Sponsored