Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
has anyone counted the number of broken bolts?
I've counted about 8 people who've broken bolts so far. Who knows how many more there are who are not even on here. Or who had an off-road shop do it, and they broke the bolt. Or a dealer even. It does almost sound like a bad batch of bolts given the blue Loctited bolt snapped on that one guy.

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@IPvFletch whats even more interesting is that I feel like I’ve read about the front passenger side breaking more than others. Just had a guy post on our club page that his front passenger bolt broke in him 2 weeks ago.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top

Sponsored

marv1294

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
Lol happened to me the other day, add me to the list
I thought I was being careful, got the whole driver side on and this happened to the front passenger side bolt

Got an appointment at the dealership on Friday, hopefully figure something out with jeep cares before I go back to school because this is some bull

9C158290-595A-4D95-A569-01ABAB4347C1.jpeg

SHYUperman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392
I installed my Rockhard sliders when I got home from picking up my 2019 JLUR from the dealer this afternoon. Thankfully didn't snap the bolts.. I was fearing the worse... especially reading this thread.

We hit the driver and passenger front bolts with a torch and slowly loosened the bolt with a breaker bar. The heat definitely helped... the remaining blue loctite bolts were really easy to take off with a breaker bar and an impact.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Winter is a bad time to install body mount slider. Torch, heat gun, hair drier, iron, baby bottle warmer, birthday candle, zippo, bring them on!

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Lol happened to me the other day, add me to the list
I thought I was being careful, got the whole driver side on and this happened to the front passenger side bolt

Got an appointment at the dealership on Friday, hopefully figure something out with jeep cares before I go back to school because this is some bull

9C158290-595A-4D95-A569-01ABAB4347C1.jpeg
How'd it go @marv1294?

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I did Ace Rocksliders last Friday. I used my impact wrench (see my other threads on this). The middle and rear bolts came out like nothing. Although I’d convinced myself heating the head of the bolt would not transfer enough heat to the locktite, I heated the front two bolts with a propane torch for 5 minutes for good luck before putting the impact wrench on it. Both sides came right out with no problem.

Sponsored

skieast

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Wish I had seen these posts first. 5 came out fairly easily...then the last broke off after many turns. I had already moved from breaker bar to a fairly small handle socket and can't believe it broke so easily. I had used heat but certainly not enough to bring it to 550. Mine was one of the first delivered so it's almost a year old now. Been at the dealer since start of last week, they told me today they are 'looking at it'. Want to remove body, several hours labor. Talked to Jeep waves but they claim they have a team of 12 people and none of them have dealt with this. Appreciate if anyone can share who they reached at Jeep. Might be more of what whether the dealer will push and in my case, it's zero as they moved it to their collision center.

marv1294

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
Dealership called me back saying that they tried calling Chrysler cares and they just straight up said no even though she tried to reason that others have gotten it covered.

I’m calling Jeep cares now to try to get a case escalated.

Sucks for me as I’m going back to school this week and will probably have to start all over with another dealership once I get there

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Wish I had seen these posts first. 5 came out fairly easily...then the last broke off after many turns. I had already moved from breaker bar to a fairly small handle socket and can't believe it broke so easily. I had used heat but certainly not enough to bring it to 550. Mine was one of the first delivered so it's almost a year old now. Been at the dealer since start of last week, they told me today they are 'looking at it'. Want to remove body, several hours labor. Talked to Jeep waves but they claim they have a team of 12 people and none of them have dealt with this. Appreciate if anyone can share who they reached at Jeep. Might be more of what whether the dealer will push and in my case, it's zero as they moved it to their collision center.
Removing the body seems pretty extreme. Assuming you broke either the driver or passenger side front bolt, my course of action would have been to remove the carpet above the broken bolt and drill into the floor with a bit large enough to see what’s going on. Then try to get a bolt removal tool in there (hardened left handed drill bit and then an easy out. The guy I bought my Ace sliders from broke a bolt and he said it took him a couple of hours to get the old one out.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Question for those that have had experience whether breaking the bolt or not:

Seems like nearly everybody did the easy rear bolts before tackling, and often breaking, the front bolts. I've not tried installing my Rockslide Engineering step sliders yet, so I'm wondering if there would be better outcomes by trying to take of the front bolts first. I'm thinking it might be possible there is some unknown binding or tension that may be contributing to the problem. Should one try the font bolts first to avoid?

Love to hear some opinions on this...
Sponsored