Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

JDMcQ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubicon
While attempting to install a set of sliders, I was removing the passenger, front (behind front wheel) body mount bolt. Using a 3/8 drive, regular length ratchet, with a moderate pull, the bolt turned about a half rotation and snapped off. During the install, this was the 6th and last bolt needed to be removed.

I took it to my local Jeep dealership. After looking at it, they responded with a "not covered under warranty". They claimed that the bolt was cross threaded when I reinstalled it. Fine, except, I never removed the bolt. If it was cross threaded, they did it at the factory. I had them call Jeep. Jeep said I never should have removed that bolt. It was then suggested that I call Jeep myself. Maybe I would have better luck.

My first step was to reach out here to @JeepCares , after no response, I called the 800 number. My rep said he would look in to it. The response was that as I was installing aftermarket parts, Jeep was not responsible. I never mentioned the brand of the part I was installing. They said that they would try and take care of me once they found out how much it would cost to cut open the body, replace the body nut and weld it all back up. Eventually they offered to cover most of the repair, with me being responsible to about 20%.

The bolt:

1525304485420.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
JDMcQ

JDMcQ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubicon
Had you been a little more devious you would have undoubtedly gotten the repair done under factory warranty. Of course, you would have had to remove the slider's and then go back tp dealer saying "Oh my, I was under my JL and I noticed this bolt missing". Dealer would be clueless as to how it found itself broken off.

A forum member had your same issue just a few weeks ago and this "devious" method got him the repair under warranty. A shame to have to do this.. to be devious, seeing the factory cross threaded the bolt. Oh, under forum member's JL had to subbed to a body shop, to have body shop remove JL's body, so they could affect the repair.
The thought crossed my mind, but it was the 6th of 6 bolt to be removed. and the others had signs of having a wrench on them.

Mine is also at an outsourced body shop for repair. N word on when it will be back. I did ask for photos of every stage of repair. We will see if I get them.

My disappointment lies in the dealerships and Jeeps response that I should not have removed a bolt or tried to install aftermarket parts. The last I checked these vehicles were designed for modification. My independent mechanic said that it looked like the bolt was cracked at install. This is clearly a manufacturing defect.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
I hear ya .... but ... I would have pulled the sliders, dirtied up the other bolt heads and said to dealer if asked.. No, not my wrench... Deniability is your friend...

Yes, a shame to have to be devious, but again it happened when factory cross threaded it.
Good point!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Not really. One you touch it you’re on your own. It’s only a broken bolt right?
You are talking a very pricey repair. The body has to be pulled/lifted off by a body shop and more. You are talking hundreds of $.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JDMcQ

JDMcQ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubicon
Dealership called this morning. My Jeeps is ready for pick up.

They also warned me about removing the body mount bolts. Said that the body would shift and need realignment. I call BS.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)

They also warned me about removing the body mount bolts. Said that the body would shift and need realignment. I call BS.
BS. The rusty welds keep the body from shifting.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

John, At this point are your sliders on and held in place with the 6 body bolts. Yes, dealership is blowing smoke up you ass when they say such crapola. You are best not to remove all body bolts at one time. Do one side and then the other..

OP
OP
JDMcQ

JDMcQ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubicon
IMAG1317.jpg
John, At this point are your sliders on and held in place with the 6 body bolts. Yes, dealership is blowing smoke up you ass when they say such crapola. You are best not to remove all body bolts at one time. Do one side and then the other..
I removed the one slider I had installed before taking it to the dealership. I figured if they needed to move the body around, I would rather not have them messing with my add-ons.

I know they are full of crap and I did only do one side at a time. Even if I hadn't, the vehicle never moved, the chances of the body shifting are slim.

Attached is a picture of the work order. They called the repair a "One time goodwill repair". Generous considering that the issue was caused by a factory defect. They also said that Mopar side steps do not require body bolt removal. Steps, no, but the Mopar premium rock sliders (not the rails), I believe, do.

Regardless, the Jeep is back with me. None the worse for wear. The sliders go back on this weekend.

IMAG1317.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JDMcQ

Ok, $800 Goodwill $. Did the $800 cover the repair?

Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I had the same thing happen to me today. Snapped 1 body bolt. Dealer said drill out on monday. I'm hoping that is the case bc send out to body shop seems like that would take awhile. How long did it take for you to get yours fixed?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same thing happen to me today. Snapped 1 body bolt. Dealer said drill out on monday. I'm hoping that is the case bc send out to body shop seems like that would take awhile. How long did it take for you to get yours fixed?
Be prepared... Can tell you that I seriously doubt the dealer will be able to "drill out". A shame that you had not stumbled across this thread before you went to the dealer. This repair can be pricey unfortunately. Hopefully for you they will be able to easily drill it out. Again, don't count in it.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I know I'm kinda sick to my stomach over it. Why 1 turn of a bolt (the proper direction) would snap it?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jeepmarkjl

I know I'm kinda sick to my stomach over it. Why 1 turn of a bolt (the proper direction) would snap it?
Yeah...sucks. At this stage of the game you will have to just suck it up and eat it.... or do some fast talking.... again, wish you had read that thread earlier.

Most likely the body bolt was over-tightened.. bolt over stressed at the factory. You happened to be the first one unloosening and the bolt just chitt the bed during the un-tightening. That is why in that thread I said to be devious.. Reality is the bolt was over-tightened, broke and should not have broke (should be covered under warranty) when you were trying to loosen. Dealer will not want to warranty because of the slider involvement.

See what they say..... BUT.. BEFORE, before you have dealer fix, do call Jeep Customer Service and ask them to get involved. They will often do/give a courtesy fix or at least pay for the fix partially.

You need to talk to them before the repair. This way you pay discounted price to dealer. If you talk to Jeep Customer Service after, you will/may get a $ break but you will have to wait week(s) before you see a check... if you see the check.

Again, say while at your Jeep Dealer Service Desk or just before get Jeep Customer Service on the phone. Tell them all you did was go to unloosen the bolt. It should have unloosened and not broken.. Be calm, respectful, polite.. but question why it broke and it should be a warranty repair. There is a good chance they will do a goodwill free repair or pay partially for the repair. The repair could be hundreds of $.
Sponsored

Last edited: