Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
As I know it, all impacts "hammer". My battery vs air, the battery has a heavier anvil than the pneumatic. I think the battery just needs the heavier weight, as the air supply is endless power. A battery will lose it's power at 50% and needs the heavy weight to keep up.
This is all just off the top of my head. No facts.

On the air, it only hammers when the air power is not enough to bust it loose.
Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
As I know it, all impacts "hammer". My battery vs air, the battery has a heavier anvil than the pneumatic. I think the battery just needs the heavier weight, as the air supply is endless power. A battery will lose it's power at 50% and needs the heavy weight to keep up.
This is all just off the top of my head. No facts.

On the air, it only hammers when the air power is not enough to bust it loose.
I was thinking the same thing along the lines of pneumatic power vs battery. Iā€™ve always used the impact with at least 100 psi; probably more. So this makes a lot of sense why my impact wasnā€™t hammering. Maybe all the other people who had good results, didnā€™t snap a bolt, were using high psi or very high end high torque impacts with fully charged batteries creating a linear torqued rotation only.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Such a shame people are still breaking body bolts. Anymore I dont ever work on anything without consulting forums and you tube. So much GREAT info why wouldnt I look there first. Many times opinions differ and then I look for patterns and then come to a conclusion on my own.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There are impacts and there are hammer impacts; correct me if I'm wrong. I used a pneumatic, non-hammer, impact. Mine just rotates without any shock value with a high torque capacity. Mine is labeled "Impact" on its case, but I've never experienced a hammering effect from it. Yes, there are impacts that will revert to a hammering state when the torque requirement gets high enough.
Iā€™m not aware of a non-impacting impact. Thatā€™s just what they are.

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Earlier in this thread a process was outlined that worked for me. Really pretty straightforward and didn't have to cut into the body at all. Cliff notes are as follows:
-Lift the body off the frame enough to get the mount out.
-Drill into the broken bolt to use an extractor bit
-Heat up the bolt with a torch - really needs to get hot, a heat gun didnt work for me.
-Insert extractor bit and it comes out easily when hot enough to loosen the loctite.

Happy to have a phone call if you would like. Two different dealers shut me down. DM me if you want more details.
I found a local mechanic who Jack's up the side, removes the body mount and then welds another nut on to the exposed threads and wrenches it out.

He's working on it currently and should be done soon .

I appreciate the info and support! These forums rock!

Sponsored

bull1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Hello, I am sure this is somewhere in this thread. I have a Sahara and plan on removing the plastic running boards and replace with rubicon rails. Will The body mount bolts come in to play here?

TIA

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hello, I am sure this is somewhere in this thread. I have a Sahara and plan on removing the plastic running boards and replace with rubicon rails. Will The body mount bolts come in to play here?

TIA
@bull1055

NO, you will not be touching the notorius, JL, body bolts.

You will be dealing with different bolts... bolts that are very very easy to deal with. Easy to remove and easy to put back in place.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase

TIA
No I do not think so. I have a Rubi with rails and they did not interfere with my installation of Sliders.

Taber18jlu

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 4dr
Installing Rock Slide steps on 2018 Sahara. Passenger side went fine, drivers side front snapped almost instantly. Using a half inch drive by hand, no breaker bar. Broke about 4-5 threads up on bolt.
Fixed by pulling all drivers side bolts and front nut, lifted body up enough to pull out body mount. Used channel locks and couldn't get it to budge. Heated bolt with a small camping propane torch for about a minute or so, applied channel locks again and started moving back and forth. Applied external extractor and used air impact gun and it zipped right out.
My dealer charged $8+ per bolt and they came in a package of 2.
Side note, friends new Rubicon. He used his pneumatic impact gun on all his bolts and they zipped right out. No problems. ā€ā™‚

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Reading posts like these make me sooo glad I had the dealer install my Ace Rock Sliders when they did my Mopar 2" lift and Fox steering stabilizer! My mechanic there did say how much of a bitch the front drivers bolt was and that they put in two new ones.

Azaky01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Is it ok to drive with one of these broken?? Headed to the dealer tomorrow am and now freaking out that the body is gonna shift etc... anyone?

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is it ok to drive with one of these broken?? Headed to the dealer tomorrow am and now freaking out that the body is gonna shift etc... anyone?
I drove without my front passenger for a good month until I got it fixed.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Just got finished installing my Rockhard sliders, and I got extremely lucky that none of my bolts snapped.

However, I will say it was a serious PITA to remove the front passenger side bolt. I thought for sure it would snap a couple of times. Lots of creaking, slipping, popping. I did make sure to reverse direction any time it would really bind up though.

Also, at least 3 of the bolts were clearly cross threaded from the factory. The threads were totally jacked after I got them out. So in my mind, this is definitely a factory defect with assembly.

These bolts are being cross threaded and over torqued by either a robot, or a drunk guy on the assembly line.

Also broke the inner tack weld on 4 of the body mounts, in spite of heating them all up first. This made it not so fun putting the new bolts in. Would have been impossible without an impact gun.
Sponsored