Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
It’s kind of funny how when you remove a few bolts you feel like you’ve won the lottery. Lol.

Poor fit on the RockHard isn’t something that I’ve really seen. I have them and one of the things I like best about them (besides being built like a tank) was great fit. Where’s the problem on yours?
I had to ream 8 of the 12 pinch seam holes. The forward most body bolt is misaligned and won’t even go in. All other bolts are seated, but the tab seems about 3/16” too far back.

I bought it brand new third party, otherwise I’d be looking for a discount.

I still love the product, just a crummy fit.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had to ream 8 of the 12 pinch seam holes. The forward most body bolt is misaligned and won’t even go in. All other bolts are seated, but the tab seems about 3/16” too far back.

I bought it brand new third party, otherwise I’d be looking for a discount.

I still love the product, just a crummy fit.
You may not believe me, but I’d wager that the variance is more on your Jeep than on the sliders. Obviously they’re are fabricated in a jig. The jig will have every component in the exact place every single time. The Jeep that’s put together on an assembly line - not so much.

As I recall I had to drill out 2 or 3 of the pinch seam holes too. But I’m glad you got it to work without extra drama of breaking one of the bolts.:clap::beer:

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
You may not believe me, but I’d wager that the variance is more on your Jeep than on the sliders. Obviously they’re are fabricated in a jig. The jig will have every component in the exact place every single time. The Jeep that’s put together on an assembly line - not so much.

As I recall I had to drill out 2 or 3 of the pinch seam holes too. But I’m glad you got it to work without extra drama of breaking one of the bolts.:clap::beer:
No doubt, the variance is in my end… but the jeep wasn’t built for the sliders, the sliders were built for the (and all) jeeps).

I have no body or rocker damage In that area… so it tells me the bolts and holes might need to have some slop more built into them.

Cookie Monster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLURT
Vehicle Showcase
Buying rock hard sliders was on my radar, but the thought of a broken body bolt had me hesitant to pull the trigger. I was brainstorming with a buddy who has these sliders waiting to be installed. So I came up with a new method to remove the body bolts yesterday. Really this is just building on the other methods by adding a torque wrench to keep my strength in check.

The Cookie Monster Method™:
1: Grab a torque wrench and set it at 100 ft lbs
2: Attach a 18mm deep socket
3: Applying upward pressure on the head of the wrench with one hand to keep the wrench level
4: slowly apply level horizontal force using your other hand
5: The secret sauce: If the torque wrench clicks, STOP! This is your warning sign.
6: If it clicks, try reversing the direction and tighten the bolt a half turn, then start again
7: If it clicks again, try applying heat using a torch or induction heater
8: If it clicks again, consider selling your sliders for another brand or having a shop do the install.

My passenger side never even clicked, it was super easy to remove. The driver's side was a different story. However the torque wrench only clicked once as I started the bolt moving. After that it was just slow and steady, taking frequent breaks, reseting and ensuring the wrench was level. I never had to use steps 6, 7, or 8.

Yes, I am that crazy, I removed my front two body bolts as practice.

The Proof

Passenger:
Jeep Wrangler JL Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps 66812367137__8D6D3274-33E3-40B6-B813-C4648CF4A8BD

Driver:
Jeep Wrangler JL Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps IMG_1939

You will notice significantly more locktite on the driver's side which corresponds with my level of effort to remove. Also I am wearing a glove as I am about to use a wire brush to remove the locktite before reinstalling.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Buying rock hard sliders was on my radar, but the thought of a broken body bolt had me hesitant to pull the trigger. I was brainstorming with a buddy who has these sliders waiting to be installed. So I came up with a new method to remove the body bolts yesterday. Really this is just building on the other methods by adding a torque wrench to keep my strength in check.

3: Applying upward pressure on the head of the wrench with one hand to keep the wrench level
5: The secret sauce: If the torque wrench clicks, STOP! This is your warning sign.
6: If it clicks, try reversing the direction and tighten the bolt a half turn, then start again
8: If it clicks again, consider selling your sliders for another brand or having a shop do the install.

My passenger side never even clicked, it was super easy to remove. The driver's side was a different story. However the torque wrench only clicked once as I started the bolt moving. After that it was just slow and steady, taking frequent breaks, reseting and ensuring the wrench was level. I never had to use steps 6, 7, or 8.

The Proof

Passenger:
Jeep Wrangler JL Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps IMG_1939

Driver:

You will notice significantly more locktite on the driver's side which corresponds with my level of effort to remove. Also I am wearing a glove as I am about to use a wire brush to remove the locktite before reinstalling.
Glad you had an easy time of it. Curious, why did you reuse the OEM hardware instead of the new installation hardware that RockHard provides?

Sponsored

Cookie Monster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLURT
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you had an easy time of it. Curious, why did you reuse the OEM hardware instead of the new installation hardware that RockHard provides?
Because I haven’t bought the sliders yet. I removed these as an exercise to see how hard it would be. My plan was to rethink sliders if I couldn’t get the bolts out.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Because I haven’t bought the sliders yet. I removed these as an exercise to see how hard it would be. My plan was to rethink sliders if I couldn’t get the bolts out.
Ahh. You’re way ahead of the game. Well I’ve had the RH since the beginning and they are awesome IMO. I think you’ll love them. Good luck, and thanks for sharing another technique with the community to make this job less perilous.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator

The Proof

Passenger:

Driver:

Good plan you have there. If mine ever shows up, gonna try this method...may even had some heat to start. I have had JCR sliders sitting in my garage since November.

ClubKenny

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Door
Jeep Wrangler JL Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps IMG_7248
Jeep Wrangler JL Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps IMG_7247

I cheated, I had my Ace Engineer rock sliders installed by the dealership. They hit that with an impact, backed out the bolts, slapped the sliders on, put them back on, torqued them up, and I was out the door in about 20 minutes.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR / '21 XR392
Occupation
Engineer
I installed my RSE stepsliders without heat, without issue.

Sponsored

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
My M18 1/2” impact took mine out with only three Ugga Duggas I’m must have gotten lucky.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
No problem here. No heat needed. Torque wrench never even hit 50# setting. Awesome rock hard 4x4 sliders. Bolted right up, everything aligned.

Jeep Wrangler JL Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps 0E8FA6C6-4456-4D93-B1F8-C288CFD1C279

Jeep Wrangler JL Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps 12066F15-FA22-4B8C-BE51-43E20E035942

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just removed the front body bolt on both sides using the @Cookie Monster method posted above.

My results: The passenger side required 100ftlbs to get started. Once it started, I backed the torque wrench down to 80ftlbs and it was slow and steady going until it came out. There were some crackles and pops to keep things interesting. The driver's side was more difficult. It started easier at 80ftlbs, but progressed to a point (with the bolt backed out about 1/2") where 90 ftlbs wouldn't move it in or out. 100ftlbs scared me and I wouldn't let it click. So (too close for missiles, switching to guns), I went for heat. After 30 seconds on/2 minutes off with a propane torch, it wouldn't move in either direction with 90ftlbs. After another round of 30s on/2min off, I tightened 180 degrees at 90ftlbs. I then hit it with a third round of 30s on/2min off, and backed it all the way out at 90ftlbs. You know there's some heat in the system when your socket gets warm.

Jeep Wrangler JL Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps Photo May 14, 14 41 37

Driver's side on left, passenger side on right. There appears to be about 3x the amount of locktite on the driver's side, which would explain the difference.

Glad to be done with it.

edited to add: the middles and rears weren’t much fun either. But none required heat.

r/t

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I had to use heat to remove mine. Clearly the stuff they use on the threads is not meant for disassembly. I used a propane torch. I won't say it was simple, but it did take a lot of time and patience.

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
Today I Broke loose the body bolts with a 1/2" impact wrench and no heat with no problems. I only loosen and retighten 1/4" at a time until I figure they're loose enough to run out.
I have been doing suspension bolts off and on for the last 40 or so years and don't recall breaking one yet using this method. But after reading all these posts about breaking bolts I was worried. In my case anyway they all came out as I expected they should except the right front bolt, it came out with no resistance at all.
Sponsored