Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
DE1245E5-552C-4AFD-B05F-6B6AD84C576B.jpeg
Managed to break the last body mount bolt (passenger front) I needed to loosen. On hold now with jeep cares. I can’t believe these bolts are so easy to break. For bolts holding the frame to the body you’d think they would be tough as hell and not snap so easily.

Luckily, I already have an appointment at the dealer on Monday for other work being done. I hope I can give them the heads up on the going in from the top (assuming they haven’t already done this work before) and save them a lot of time.... I am really praying for a similar outcome as the others getting @JeepCares involved...

C6E74E27-1CE6-474D-AD83-7880B6F13C7E.jpeg

6F642101-9DCC-46B2-80B2-8FCD42D780CB.jpeg
Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
DE1245E5-552C-4AFD-B05F-6B6AD84C576B.jpeg
Managed to break the last body mount bolt (passenger front) I needed to loosen. On hold now with jeep cares. I can’t believe these bolts are so easy to break. For bolts holding the frame to the body you’d think they would be tough as hell and not snap so easily.

Luckily, I already have an appointment at the dealer on Monday for other work being done. I hope I can give them the heads up on the going in from the top (assuming they haven’t already done this work before) and save them a lot of time.... I am really praying for a similar outcome as the others getting @JeepCares involved...
What number for Jeep Cares?

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
LYEs
I called ‭1 (877) 426-5337‬
Yeah, I called that number and talked to Amy. She said it was all ok and it was covered, and if the dealer had any questions to just call Jeep Cares and they'll straighten it out. My jeep only has 100 miles on it so she said everything is covered 100%

Cliebo

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sahara Unlimited
Does Nfab 3 tubular nerf steps require removing these body bolts that everyone is snapping?

Sponsored

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the same response. I really hope the dealer will play nice on this one...

LYEs

Yeah, I called that number and talked to Amy. She said it was all ok and it was covered, and if the dealer had any questions to just call Jeep Cares and they'll straighten it out. My jeep only has 100 miles on it so she said everything is covered 100%

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
After some phone calls and pleading, it's covered. A HUGE HUMONGOUS shoutout to my dealer and the service manager. :)

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dropped off the Jeep today. From the impression they gave me, it sounded like it will be covered under warranty and didn’t seem like a big issue. I really hope that is the case.... more to come.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Praying for you!

Captain Obvious

First Name
Captain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2 door
Ordered a 2020 Rubicon 2 door yesterday. Previous Jeep owner and I installed Ace sliders on our 2014 Willy's Unlimited right after we got it. I have a question for those that have broken this bolt. Specifically:

1. I don't believe I've seen many people who broke a bolt on a two door. Anyone?

2. Anyone have a 2020 that broke a bolt?

3. Has anyone broken a bolt on a *new* JL? Wondering if it's partially a corrosion issue when the bolt is pulled after the bolt has been exposed to the elements.

Thanks,
Marc

Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered a 2020 Rubicon 2 door yesterday. Previous Jeep owner and I installed Ace sliders on our 2014 Willy's Unlimited right after we got it. I have a question for those that have broken this bolt. Specifically:

1. I don't believe I've seen many people who broke a bolt on a two door. Anyone?

3. Has anyone broken a bolt on a *new* JL? Wondering if it's partially a corrosion issue when the bolt is pulled after the bolt has been exposed to the elements.

Thanks,
Marc
Marc,
My 2018 has 100 miles on it. It has been in the parking lot for 2 years, so yes, the elements have been around it.

The interesting thing is that some folk get them out easy peasy. Most don't.

However, if you Google the "broken body mount bolt Jeep" you'll be surprised at just how many are out there. I just talked to my service guy today (I can pick her up tomorrow!!!) and he said these bolts are really designed NOT to come out.

In my opinion, the only efficient way, after experiencing my failure, would be an induction heater, and lots of back and forth motion on the bolt. But even then I would give it 50-50.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks,
Marc
PS: I do breathe under the water! :).

olmectech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks,
Marc
I broke a bolt on a 2 door.

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My beat guess with it all based on 5 out of 6 being no problem and the passenger front being the one that’s most problematic is overtorque by the robot installing the bolt. It took less pressure to break mine than it did to get the front driver side completely loose and pulled out. While corrosion could play a role, mine broke in December before and road salt/brine was used in my area. Just a guess/hunch.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
@Captain Obvious , the problem is 100% the front body bolts. Indeed, I can't remember a thread where it was one of the rear bolts.

Anyway, the difference in the 2-door and 4-door is that the 4-door has the red locktite bolts in rhe front, and 2 sets of the blue locktite bolts in the rear. The 2-door still has the same red loctite'd front bolts, but only one set of the bule Loctite bolts in the rear. S

So yeah, problems can still happen on the 2-door.

FYI, I was successful with just a heat gun and a 24 inch breaker bar, just by going back and forth on the front bolts to keep the threads clear. Anytime I felt any extra binding, I hit it with the heat gun for a few minutes, and then right back to the back and forth motion on the breaker bar. I would advise against using an impact gun, because you'll never get the feel when something is binding (though lucky one have done it). Yes my method takes a little more time constantly going back an forth (going just a little looser each time), but as I've said before, its a huge time (as money) savings than if you break a bolt.

Good luck!
Sponsored