Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure there's a reason, but wouldn't it be possible to have the Rock Slider mount slotted, so the Body bolt would only have to be loosened instead of completely removed. Maybe something like this...

Slider2a.jpg

View attachment 122321

When combined with a pinch seam mount, it could probably be made just as strong.
I know it may not totally eliminate the potential for broken bolts, but I'm sure it would help.
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Has anyone just asked the service department at a dealership to remove the front two bolts for you so you don't risk breaking it? I want to install ACE sliders but after reading through these horror stories I am super afraid, but I still want to install those sliders... I don't know if a dealership would be kosher with removing a body mount bolt for you so you can install some aftermarket part... but maybe some would?

clobato

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 392
Well add me to the list of broken bolts. I attempted to install my Ace sliders on Christmas Day. I started with the passenger side front bolt. I heated it for about a minute or so with a torch and then started backing it out with a ratchet. I got maybe a quarter turn and then snap! I was pissed and gave up on the install.

Fast forward to today, I took the Jeep into All Seasons 4x4 in Denver (I highly recommend them). They got the broken bolt out in about an hour and had the sliders installed in about another 1.5 hours. As far as getting the bolt out, they told me they removed all the body mounts on the passenger side to allow the body to drop farther down on the frame and to give better access to the bolt. They drilled out the bolt and got an extractor in it. They said with a little heat from a torch and the extractor, the broken bolt came right out.

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Add me to the list as well. Driver’s side loosened up, passenger’s side snapped.
upload_2018-12-28_10-4-58.jpeg

Sponsored

clobato

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 392
Add me to the list as well. Driver’s side loosened up, passenger’s side snapped.
upload_2018-12-28_10-4-58.jpeg
I know your frustration all too well. Based on what the shop told me, the removal of the broken bolt is pretty straight forward with the right tools.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
wonder if this is a bad batch of bolts used in the mfr process?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
wonder if this is a bad batch of bolts used in the mfr process?
Too much red locktite in most the cases I have seen in the threads, I could not have blamed air impact because it couldn’t turn it. Luckily mine just cried and moaned, and it came out a quarter turn at a time with a 20” breaker until it hit the ground.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Too much red locktite in most the cases I have seen in the threads, I could not have blamed air impact because it couldn’t turn it. Luckily mine just cried and moaned, and it came out a quarter turn at a time with a 20” breaker until it hit the ground.
My snapped bolt had blue loctite. Took a turn and half and snapped.

IMG_8151.JPG

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
what's funny is nice, even, steady pressure allowed me to turn the driver's side bolt - I didn't remove it fully but I was able to get it turned and tightened again, and then loosened some more, then tightened (to clear the threads). It took more force to do this on the driver's side than it did to break the bolt on the passenger's side. My seat of the pants guess is this bolt was stressed/cracked/something upon install at the factory. I have neither the tools nor knowledge to get the bolt out so I'll end up having to pay someone to help

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
My snapped bolt had blue loctite. Took a turn and half and snapped.

IMG_8151.JPG
Wow with blue, that’s nuts. They must have over torqued it or something, the business end of the threads look in the pic. Or as you said bad bolts

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Wow with blue, that’s nuts. They must have over torqued it or something, the business end of the threads look in the pic. Or as you said bad bolts
The tip of the bolt was marred during the extraction process. Mechanic had to go in from the top to get it out.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
ugh. Sorry. This was Field Jeep in Glenview??? They didnt bother going in from bottom on mine. Simply took out driver seat, drilled in from top, extracted it, patched hole, put new bolt back in. Wonder why they chose not to learn from when they did mine.
So they could charge more to Jeep and stick it to the man!

rcpeters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2019
Just to give future projects hope. I was successful. 2019 Sport. No heat. Front passager bolt was harder. I lossened all the bolts one turn before proceeding with removing any others further.

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Has anyone just asked the service department at a dealership to remove the front two bolts for you so you don't risk breaking it? I want to install ACE sliders but after reading through these horror stories I am super afraid, but I still want to install those sliders... I don't know if a dealership would be kosher with removing a body mount bolt for you so you can install some aftermarket part... but maybe some would?
Anyone? :angel:
Sponsored