Sponsored

Caulked the Fender Gaps

Vrrooom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I really like the caulk idea more than the foam strip. I only have 2 concerns of it- 1 is my ability to get it to look as nice as yours (my bathroom caulking looks like a 2 year old did it), and 2 would be what happens if I do damage a fender and need to replace it. Would the caulking end up becoming a huge PITA?
Sponsored

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
The past couple nights I caulked the large gap between the fender and body. Hereā€™s before:

39919F5A-7462-4E0B-B34B-7334712DD0D2.jpeg

9075E693-D5E0-4DAD-8F7D-0B8610077AB7.jpeg

I quite simply used a couple small picks to lightly pry the fender away so the rocks fell into the wheel well (and I thought I heard them fall to the floor).

One night I caulked a small bead and smoothed with my pinky. The next night I did the same and built up the previous bead. I didnā€™t tape it as I didnā€™t care about perfection, but it looks great IMO and NO MORE DANG ROCKS! :like:

AFTER:
D7292C16-32B1-4C17-9456-9FD8CF06718A.jpeg

90EAB281-180C-4A0F-AF23-E1B48064ACDF.jpeg

I didnā€™t realize how deep the front fenders were so I have a caulking tube extension on order and will do the same to the fronts.

Iā€™ve used the same GE Advanced Silicone Caulk on my Yukon with great results as wellā€¦

1633486462964.png

And @Chocolate Thunder was skeptical of this and wanted some pics, so here you are! šŸ˜‰

Man what a nice smooth and even bead. Nice job!!! šŸ‘šŸ‘

I could never get it to look like that. Years ago I cracked open a set of headlights to paint the housings black. When I resealed them with silicone rtv they looked like total crap. Good thing it was hidden under the hood.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
I really like the caulk idea more than the foam strip. I only have 2 concerns of it- 1 is my ability to get it to look as nice as yours (my bathroom caulking looks like a 2 year old did it), and 2 would be what happens if I do damage a fender and need to replace it. Would the caulking end up becoming a huge PITA?
I definitely like how the caulk turned out and am glad I did it. You could always tape along the bead prior to application. I cut a smaller than normal piece off the caulk nozzle and I always pull towards me in a continuous and steady motion. My pinky finger barely fit in the groove (I really had to jam it in), so you might want to employ a child to smooth it out if you have large fingers.

It should be pretty easy If you ever need to replace or remove the fender. I thought about this as well and my thoughts are that removing the fender normally should break the bead easily. Reinstalling the same style fender should be a breeze and then simply reapply new caulk. With an aftermarket one, you may have to spend some time removing the left over caulk.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Man what a nice smooth and even bead. Nice job!!! šŸ‘šŸ‘

I could never get it to look like that. Years ago I cracked open a set of headlights to paint the housings black. When I resealed them with silicone rtv they looked like total crap. Good thing it was hidden under the hood.
Thanks! When I stand next to the Jeep I donā€™t even really take note of the caulk since itā€™s kind of hidden inside the groove.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I used the foam tubing but found after six months that it wouldnā€™t stay putā€¦I am guessing it shrinks with time. A few well placed dabs of silicon caulk would fix but Iā€™ve not done any follow up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
you could also do both. install the tubing to take up the space then you'll use less caulk over it.
Sponsored