Caught in the rain

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I was caught in a downpour over the weekend without doors or windows. I did raise the top before the rain started and covered the front dash with towels. I had to pull the plugs and take the carpet out so it could dry out. I plan on making some sort of weather resistant dash cover for the times when I'm out and it isn't supposed to rain but does, like this downpour. I was amazed at how easy the carpets came out and how quickly they dried. I think it was dry in 3 hours or so?
Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,

I was curious if anyone knows exactly how water resistant the interiors of our JL’s are? I’m running my soft top in the summer with no front doors. I got caught in a few rain storms and the carpet got wet, but it dried pretty quickly. Yesterday I got caught in a monsoon. It was great! I was soaked from head to toe on the left side of my body on the way home from work. Between the water falling out of the sky at a tremendous rate and the wheels from the Jeep and other cars water was definitely getting into the interior. Much more than normal. So it got me thinking, how rain/water resistant are our jeeps?

I’m curious if anyone knows, how the electrical is protected? Steering wheel? Dash switches and elements, speakers? If the carpet is truly mold/mildew resistant? Is there anything I need to worry about if the interior gets wet?

I do know if you’re fording water and it gets on the inside of the Jeep you can pull the carpets and use the drain plugs, but for a random rain shower I’m not planning to go through that much work. What do you guys think?
First week I had my JLR I removed all of the carpeting and I run it doorless and windowless but leave the premium soft top up in safari mode primarily for sun protection. Got caught a few times in some hellish downpours (sideways rain) and filled foot wells with a few inches of water.

With no carpet it dries out real quick pulling the drain plugs and parking outside on a sunny day.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I thought about getting the emergency top thats like $99 and it's for if you get caught out in the rain but then you have to keep it somewhere as far as storing it and I have my top and doors off. so where do you store something like that how you carry it with you and not have someone steal it.l I don't have a big cover in the back the box in the tailgate area likesome people do. I don't know where I can put it where someone won't see it

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
First week I had my JLR I removed all of the carpeting and I run it doorless and windowless but leave the premium soft top up in safari mode primarily for sun protection. Got caught a few times in some hellish downpours (sideways rain) and filled foot wells with a few inches of water.

With no carpet it dries out real quick pulling the drain plugs and parking outside on a sunny day.
Do you have cloth or leather? How do the seats do?

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have cloth or leather? How do the seats do?
Leather, dry them off with a towel when I get back to garage and (so far) holding up well

Sponsored

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Day 1. Pull the plugs and forget about them. I keep a big garbage bag under my seat to sit on when the seats get wet. Keep some microfiber towels in there as well to wipe the inside of the widow while driving in the rain. It dries pretty fast in the sun with plugs and top off. Even here in Costa Rica.

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
I got caught in a monsoon with top down for 15min. 3” of water in my rubber mats. Ended up pulling out the carpet to drain and decided to keep it out till fall. My 8.4” infotainment center went dark but you could tell it was still beeping. Tried to use some functions since I knew where they were on the screen, but couldn’t get anything to function properly. After it set in the garage overnight it finally came back on. I can not seem to get Car play to work though. Still have to figure out how that disappeared. Tried new cord, new phone, restarting both. When I plug the phone it it charges and I can play music through USB but no car play. I also noticed if you leave the plugs out of the floor, tremendous heat comes up through the holes. Bummer I wanted to leave them out so future rain would drain out.

silver

First Name
Jeannie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver JLUR
Just be reasonable. If it gets wet, and is going to stay wet, obviously it will mold.
Correct! It will definitely mold. Had it happen. Went through ozone treatments to get the smell and germs out...then we had to get rid of the ozone smell. We got it detailed as a last step and it still smelled like ozone for months. It's a foul scent.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Probably the biggest issue is if you have leather seats, leather does not fair well with water especially if you sit on those leather seats as it will likely stretch and then wrinkle.

Sponsored

estankie

First Name
Eddie S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Occupation
Community Health RN
cracking up here folks...relieved to know there are many of us who got (get) caught in the rain! i’m 59 and it’s happened to me a few times. the sideways storms are the best. i giggle like a schoolboy at the expressions of ppl driving by buttoned up in their bmw’s and audi’s. we. are. living.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I purchased the vinyl top from Mopar. I like the fitment, but the zipper (header) made me scratch my head with water protection. Well, got caught in first rain yesterday...came to a stop, and the water poured through the zipper like a waterfall, over the sun visors, on my lap, down through the dash and windshield, and made it to my feet. I think the only think it kept from getting wet was my face. Very disappointed that not one bikini top is available yet. Had one on my CJ, and TJU that were designed much better. Anyone find one for a JLU yet?
I had purchased the Mopar Sun Bonnet which it sounds like what you have, I realized it would not stop a drop so I returned it. All they had to do was extend over the doors and swap out the sipper in the front ... such a shame.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I've had my bdoors off for more than a couple of months now. We get pretty regular rain in NY state. I bought some heavy duty rubber floor mats that tie into the floor drains and thats it. I check the weather daily and if its gonna rain at night I throw a contractor bag on top of each front seat and buckel the seat belts to keep it there. Nothing else.

Driving in most rain you dont get wet, except maybe your lower left leg. Driving in heavy rain - you get wet. I have all of my back windows out for the season too BTW. On the highway the rain actually blows in from behind you. Its weird. Gets you, the windshield and dash real wet. Havent had any issues. I've also left my top down a few times overnight and woke up to OMG!!!!!!! But its fine. 30 seconds wiping the up the big stuff and I hop i and go. Jeep says the interior is waterproof, I'm gonna test them on that.
Sponsored