rlaracue

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Great thread. I don’t want anything particularly loud. I don’t necessarily like the sound of these engines so I don’t want to amplify it too much. I just don’t like the ugly stock exhaust waiting to be crushed down. I’d like something I can’t see like the tuck ones. Although that Gibson sounds good and the single tip isn’t too bad.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Agreed. Very valuable insight and audio :) being shared.

PS - Once i hear back from Dynomax on the ETA of their catback system I will post here. Until then feel free to post more audio/YT clips.
Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
From all the compiled info (THANK YOU All) I think the Pypes Touring model is probably the most feasible..... Still need to hear sound clips.

OP
OP
rlaracue

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
From all the compiled info (THANK YOU All) I think the Pypes Touring model is probably the most feasible..... Still need to hear sound clips.
It seems that way but I cannot get a good audio clip. I am not sure their video on Youtube is with the Sport muffler.

OP
OP
rlaracue

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had a custom exhaust put on today which gave me the quiet rock crawler I wanted. Recall I had a Magnaflow Catback Rock Crawler system. It was throaty but had too much drone and even made my Jeep feel sluggish.

In any case after looking at just about everything I decided to replace the MF muffler (it really is a resonator) with a Borla ProXS universal muffler. 2.25"/2.25" center/offset muffler. In front of the Borla (which does not drone), I put in a 12" resonator from Vibrant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.borla.com/products/proxs_225_offsetcenter_14x425x788_muffler_part__40658.html

I kept the tailpipe section and some of the connecting pipe.

My exhaust guy tig welded most of the setup but clamped the front bit coming off the y-pipe.

I will post a video over the weekend but I can tell you the early returns are excellent. Decibels are maxing out at 74 but most of the time the Jeep stays in the 60s and gets into the 50s at idle. There is no drone, it's not loud and the car moves a bit easier IMO.

So for what it is worth if you have a capable exhaust shop near you and want a rock crawler for a daily driver this could be an option.

Parts: Borla Muffler $93, Vibrant 12" Resonator $48, Misc parts/weld material $85, Labor $240 What is missing is likely another $75 in making a custom tailpipe with bends. So all in this would be ~$540-570.

I was burned by dropping $385 (Black Friday Sale) on the MF crawler, $150 on dealer install. So $535 all in.

Had I done more research on this forum :) I would have built a system I wanted and saved over $500.

If you wanted something as quiet as stock you can go with the Vibrant quiet resonator.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141...PM8AG278SVS&psc=1&refRID=WQW03A2BYPM8AG278SVS

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I have the AFE RB and love it. Shot some video of it from outside the Jeep.

20181108_151427-X3.jpg

OP
OP
rlaracue

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
After stating this crazy thread and then wrecking my Jeep I finally have a few quick videos on my exhaust setup.

Again I have a Borla XP muffler and before it a Vibrant 1792 resonator. I removed the factory resonator and rear muffler so its a rock crawler.

I may swap in the Vibrant Quiet resonator later this month to contain some of the hot rod sounds. The tone is great and without any drone.

Sponsored