Sponsored

Catastrophic JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel Engine Failure...3yr, 37K miles, no abuse, 100% dealer serviced

degmd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I'm reaching out to see if anybody has experienced a similar issue. I took delivery of my 2020 eco-diesel as a new car exactly 3 years ago.

My problems with my Jeep started within 2800 miles, initially with a faulty EGR valve. I was then informed that there was also a leaking EGR coolant system and then told that there was also a leaking high-pressure injector fuel return line. The first 2 parts were shipped to the dealership and replaced on my car. The third part had to come from the diesel factory assembly line in Italy. It took over 6 weeks to finish the repairs and return the car to me.

I have had no subsequent issues with the car until a few weeks ago, when I began experiencing a low oil pressure indicator. The crankcase was full and I took it to the dealer where they replaced the filter, changed the oil and did a software update. That did not solve the problem and I began to hear knocking sounds in the engine. I took it back to the dealer and it has been in the shop for nearly two weeks. They just informed me they found metal shards in the engine and condemned the engine and have ordered a new one. There is no ETA on receipt of parts or for completion of the repair.

I was very disappointed when I had multiple engine-related failures in a new car, but I was able to obtain a high level of support from FCA itself. I am now dealing with a three year old car that needs a new diesel engine. Given that the Cummins engine is a workhorse, I am mystified as to what could have happened. I knew there was a high-pressure fuel pump recall, but those parts have not been available so the repair was not made.

I would appreciate any insight or advice about how to move forward. I was willing to accept the initial set of issues and loss of use of my car for most of the 2020 summer season, but now with a condemned engine so soon, I'm now thinking that this car is actually a L****n...
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
ā˜ Your Jeep is
Jeep Wrangler JL Catastrophic JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel Engine Failure...3yr, 37K miles, no abuse, 100% dealer serviced FE1B8EDA-F687-4A1D-817A-EC6D1905A514
ā€¦..Itā€™s who they were designing it forā€¦..Fully warrantied is the best at this point, if you donā€™t trust it, then sell/trade it, eliminating your worries. šŸ™

Last edited:

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I'm reaching out to see if anybody has experienced a similar issue. I took delivery of my 2020 eco-diesel as a new car exactly 3 years ago.

My problems with my Jeep started within 2800 miles, initially with a faulty EGR valve. I was then informed that there was also a leaking EGR coolant system and then told that there was also a leaking high-pressure injector fuel return line. The first 2 parts were shipped to the dealership and replaced on my car. The third part had to come from the diesel factory assembly line in Italy. It took over 6 weeks to finish the repairs and return the car to me.

I have had no subsequent issues with the car until a few weeks ago, when I began experiencing a low oil pressure indicator. The crankcase was full and I took it to the dealer where they replaced the filter, changed the oil and did a software update. That did not solve the problem and I began to hear knocking sounds in the engine. I took it back to the dealer and it has been in the shop for nearly two weeks. They just informed me they found metal shards in the engine and condemned the engine and have ordered a new one. There is no ETA on receipt of parts or for completion of the repair.

I was very disappointed when I had multiple engine-related failures in a new car, but I was able to obtain a high level of support from FCA itself. I am now dealing with a three year old car that needs a new diesel engine. Given that the Cummins engine is a workhorse, I am mystified as to what could have happened. I knew there was a high-pressure fuel pump recall, but those parts have not been available so the repair was not made.

I would appreciate any insight or advice about how to move forward. I was willing to accept the initial set of issues and loss of use of my car for most of the 2020 summer season, but now with a condemned engine so soon, I'm now thinking that this car is actually a L****n...
Wow man, that sucks. I'm feeling for you! That right there's my biggest fear! On the plus side it definitely sounds like the HPFP and since there's currently a recall on that, everything should be 100% covered. (Thank God for that!)

A lot of other pickup trucks which use the CP4 high pressure fuel pump have a aftermarket part swap to a CP3. I don't honestly know if it will work on a Wrangler, as to it's a very specific engine, needing very specific things. I'm not sure the CP3 would give the engine everything it needs. That being said if you were to keep your eco diesel and just accept the new engine in hopes that this one is better, you can always ask the dealership if a CP3 swap would work.

Also have you been using diesel fuel additives and lubricants? At this moment those seem to be a make it or break it for the 3.0 EcoDiesel. A lot of people here seem to be fans of the Hotshots EDT, and Hotshots LX4. I myself use 2 oz of each every fill up at this point for fear of what happened to you.

Sorry again, that sucks so much.

Sponsored

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Wow man, that sucks. I'm feeling for you! That right there's my biggest fear! On the plus side it definitely sounds like the HPFP and since there's currently a recall on that, everything should be 100% covered. (Thank God for that!)

A lot of other pickup trucks which use the CP4 high pressure fuel pump have a aftermarket part swap to a CP3. I don't honestly know if it will work on a Wrangler, as to it's a very specific engine, needing very specific things. I'm not sure the CP3 would give the engine everything it needs. That being said if you were to keep your eco diesel and just accept the new engine in hopes that this one is better, you can always ask the dealership if a CP3 swap would work.

Also have you been using diesel fuel additives and lubricants? At this moment those seem to be a make it or break it for the 3.0 EcoDiesel. A lot of people here seem to be fans of the Hotshots EDT, and Hotshots LX4. I myself use 2 oz of each every fill up at this point for fear of what happened to you.

Metal in the crankcase is not a symptom of a bad fuel pump. When the fuel pump goes is spreads shavings throughout the fuel system.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Metal in the crankcase is not a symptom of a bad fuel pump. When the fuel pump goes is spreads shavings throughout the fuel system.
Oh really? I did not know that. I'm really only just recently starting to bother learning about the engines themselves. I've always been focused on everything outside the engine. I honestly just read his post as the engine, I had to look back just now to see if it even said crankcase. šŸ˜

I know on the truck forums, when the CP4 fails, they said it spreads to everything that connects to the fuel system including the cylinders. Where exactly is the crankcase? Is that part of the transmission or the drive line, or is that where the cylinder heads move up and down?

OP
OP

degmd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Cummins are workhorses but you donā€™t have a Cummins. You have a motor made by VM Motari which is wholly owned by Stellantis.
Thanks for the clarification. That explains why the part came from Italy on the first repair.

OP
OP

degmd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
ā˜ Your Jeep is
Jeep Wrangler JL Catastrophic JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel Engine Failure...3yr, 37K miles, no abuse, 100% dealer serviced FE1B8EDA-F687-4A1D-817A-EC6D1905A514
ā€¦..Itā€™s who they were designing it forā€¦..Fully warrantied is the best at this point, if you donā€™t trust it, then sell/trade it, eliminating your worries. šŸ™
It has been aggravating...I have also started paying attention to overland car commercials again!

Sponsored

Robertyoke

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler jlu rubicon
Clubs

Cummins are workhorses but you donā€™t have a Cummins. You have a motor made by VM Motari which is wholly owned by Stellantis.
And it started its life designed hand in hand with Cadillac/gm.
So far from the b series Cummins

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer

Sorry to hear. What has happened it that Jeep is not making it own diesel. Diesels have been in Jeeps going back to the TJs at least, but there were only found OCONUS but not in the US???

I was going to buy a diesel unti I found out there made by FCA.

I have owned 6 diesels for a total of around 250k miles and never had a problem. All my diesel sat in the engine bay of a F350/450 truck. My F 450 has 475 HP, not much by todays standards, however it has 1050 lbs of torque and my max tow 45,300 lbs. So my engine has to be built to some rather high standards. Diesel in a Jeep, not so much, IIRC I think the Jeep diesel is 470 lbs of torque, an not sure what the tow rating is but NOT much. Structurally your diesel is a weak sister.

Robertyoke

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler jlu rubicon
Clubs

Only ford is left beating that horse. The dmax/isuzu went to nippendenso said good by bosch for its fuel system. Ram/Cummins lasted one model year (19's and really early 20's) then went back to the cp3 . that cp4 pump is junk.

When they fail they send shrapnel throughout the fuel system, the rails and injectors, even the return lines. Before that some just send a wee bit of metal to an injector or several causing the tip to hang open then over fueling that cylinder causing failure. Can also fill that cylinder and leak past rings filling crankcase and then catastrophic failure, as what probably happened to the o.p.