Sponsored

Catastrophic Failure at 31,000 Miles (2021 2.0L Turbo)

OP
OP
TorturedMargot

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL, 2013 Dodge Charger R/T
Clubs

I’ve got one for you. Just put in a new engine. Drove on it for 6 weeks (approx 5,000 miles) before I got a dreaded engine code…turns out. Complete internal engine failure…on my new engine. 3.6L. Currently at dealership and working with them to get everything replaced. Metal fragments throughout entire engine. ?‍♀
That’s really unfortunate, I’m sorry you’re having to deal with that. I’d be curious to know what exactly the main failure point in the engine was.
Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
That’s really unfortunate, I’m sorry you’re having to deal with that. I’d be curious to know what exactly the main failure point in the engine was.
Thanks. Yeah. Well the code I was getting initially was related to the Cam for a slow shifter response. After talking to the shop who did my first one, and then a few others…they’ve seen at least 3-4 others just this year alone for blown engines.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Just put in a new engine.
Drove on it for 6 weeks (approx 5,000 miles) before I got a dreaded engine code...

Complete internal engine failure…on my new engine. 3.6L. Metal fragments throughout entire engine.
Mm. I had a similar experience with the short block in my purchased-new YJ. When the symptoms from engine #1 began to manifest in engine #2, I made an executive decision to sell the vehicle back to Jeep. I then took a 25 year break from the brand before purchasing my JLU in late 2020. Thank Heaven this ownership experience has been comparatively trouble-free, in sharp contrast to the crapshow that was the YJ.

Best of luck with however and wherever you land here, Kristy. ?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Jackass (aka Al) included his name in his profile. It helps convey gender to other people so that they can use the correct words. I would argue "guys" is multi-faceted and isn't exclusively masculine, but "guy's" is definitely masculine and the word he meant to use.
Her name is Margot, seemed pretty obvious from the get go this was a woman.

Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Her name is Margot, seemed pretty obvious from the get go this was a woman.
I’ve seen plenty of usernames—even here—that include real names that in no way line up with them personally. Maybe Margot is the name of a pet? It happens.

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

Ok Margot has been tortured enough

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mm. I had a similar experience with the short block in my purchased-new YJ. When the symptoms from engine #1 began to manifest in engine #2, I made an executive decision to sell the vehicle back to Jeep. I then took a 25 year break from the brand before purchasing my JLU in late 2020. Thank Heaven this ownership experience has been comparatively trouble-free, in sharp contrast to the crapshow that was the YJ.

Best of luck with however and wherever you land here, Kristy. ?
Wow! That sounds like you made a good decision. Glad to hear so far yours is doing great! Thanks. It’s definitely been a month of crazy but finally looking like my warranty will get approved and the dealership will get right on getting everything taken care of. It’s been a whole situation; but, now that we’ve got the parts and service directors involved things are moving.
cheers to your jeep and have a great Christmas!!

OP
OP
TorturedMargot

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I’ve got one for you. Just put in a new engine. Drove on it for 6 weeks (approx 5,000 miles) before I got a dreaded engine code…turns out. Complete internal engine failure…on my new engine. 3.6L. Currently at dealership and working with them to get everything replaced. Metal fragments throughout entire engine. ?‍♀
That’s rough man. Hope it’s since been resolved.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s rough man. Hope it’s since been resolved.
Not yet unfortunately. It’s been a whole situation getting the warranty approved. Finally got the service and parts directors involved and looks like things are now moving forward and my warranty will get approved and the work done. My Christmas miracle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TorturedMargot

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Not yet unfortunately. It’s been a whole situation getting the warranty approved. Finally got the service and parts directors involved and looks like things are now moving forward and my warranty will get approved and the work done. My Christmas miracle.
Have you been buying any new parts in the meantime to make yourself feel better?

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Have you been buying any new parts in the meantime to make yourself feel better?
No. I’m still mentally recovering from the $14k I spent this summer to put in a new engine, replace the clutch, the steering box, painted dash, and a new rpm steering track bar. Lol.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Oh, your a "Girl". It's all falling into place now.
Sponsored