Sponsored

Catastrophic Failure at 31,000 Miles (2021 2.0L Turbo)

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
With the older cars, the heater hoses always had a lot of slack in them, so if they failed towards the end you could slice off the bad part with a razor blade and then just reattach it.
I did that with my 2002 Civic Power Steering return hose to the reservoir probably 150K mi ago, still works fine.
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear of the troubles.

My $0.015 worth:

Hope they changed your oil while your Jeep was in the shop.
If you lost coolant and the motor got hot, that means the oil got really hot too.

Cheap insurance to have it changed now.

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
If I run out of gas, it suddenly stops the engine and puts me in a situation where I can't use my car until "fixed" (i.e. I put more gas in it). So does that count as a catastrophic engine failure?
No. You're not reading.

OP’s thread title is just “catastrophic failure”. Not "catastrophic engine failure."

Running out of gas is also a catastrophe -- and a failure to plan. But your engine is ultimately, fine.

?

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
No. You're not reading.

OP’s thread title is just “catastrophic failure”. Not "catastrophic engine failure."

Running out of gas is also a catastrophe -- and a failure to plan. But your engine is ultimately, fine.

?
Fair enough, I added the word "engine", but I think we have very different definitions of the word "catastrophic". I personally do not think it is a synonym for "sudden" or "unfortunate".

Last edited:

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Fair enough, I added the word "engine", but I think we have very different definitions of the word "catastrophic". I personally do not think it is a synonym for "sudden" or "unfortunate".
Catastrophic: (adj) involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering

"great" damage or suffering.

OP
OP
TorturedMargot

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL, 2013 Dodge Charger R/T
Clubs

Had a similar scenario happen. Instead of a heater core hose failing though it was the heater core itself. Coolant spewed from the weep hole due to the heater core gunking up and my engine over heated. Occurred 2 days before an out of state family trip, I live in MO and we were driving to MI where I grew up. It was a summer trip to see friends/family and hit the dunes off Lake Michigan (Silver Lake Sand Dunes are amazing if you haven't been). My kids were excited, my buddies and their kids were excited (especially those who never had a Wrangler top down summer drive experience). One of my buddy's kids is obsessed with Jeeps and has never been in one.

We ended up having to drive a different vehicle for the trip because the heater core would not be replaced in time. I was pissed and felt bad for all the kids, but the silver lining was that it happened when I was by myself heading home from work and not when the Jeep was packed with my young kids, wife, and all of our vacation crap in the middle of Illinois or Indiana. It's an excuse to plan another summer trip in 2024. Kids will have a blast and it will have only been delayed a year. In the moment it sucks though, I feel for ya.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck as well. And I appreciate you having a genuine response, most people on here are bitching about my use of catastrophic.

Derailing something that was incredibly important to me and left me Jeep-less is a catastrophe in my book. “Great suffering” indeed ?

did this happen on your JL?

OP
OP
TorturedMargot

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

No kidding. These forums are filled with clickbait garbage lately.
Lately? It’s always been clickbait garbage. It’s honestly no better than the Facebook groups. Really disappointing… but here you will find the occasional write up from a member who did something extraordinary.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Lately? It’s always been clickbait garbage. It’s honestly no better than the Facebook groups. Really disappointing… but here you will find the occasional write up from a member who did something extraordinary.
I'm just disappointed that it didn't blow a head gasket or throw a rod. Nothing against you, of course, just for the story's sake.

OP
OP
TorturedMargot

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I'm just disappointed that it didn't blow a head gasket or throw a rod. Nothing against you, of course, just for the story's sake.
Maybe your Jeep will blow a head gasket tomorrow, then you’ll have your catastrophe story.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I'm not sure the response you're looking for. You had an incident, the incident inconvenienced you, and now it is resolved.

I've been in two cars that had similar catastrophes. The first was a 78 El Camino where the core itself cracked; it was summer in Texas, so I just bypassed the heater core until I could replace it. The hoses were long enough to do that. The second was a 2000-something Mountaineer; like a couple others people replying, I was able to cut off the split/crack, reattach it, top off the coolant, and continue on.

Your experience was definitely more dramatic, and it sucks it ruined your trip plans. I do lament that hoses tend to be too short to do things like this now, but hey, as long as it saves half a penny per car, it's worth it to Jeep.

I am glad your Jeep did not have something like a thrown rod, clutch explosion (I know, wrong engine), or something more serious.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Bad luck, bad timing, but fixed readily easily and covered under the warranty. So while inconvenient, not catastrophic by any stretch of the imagination.

It's a Jeep...get used to it and if that is the worst thing that happens during your ownership, count yourself extremely lucky.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Maybe your Jeep will blow a head gasket tomorrow, then you’ll have your catastrophe story.
Meh, I see it every day at work. My jeep just sits in my driveway anyway, it could already be blown and I wouldn't know for weeks...
Sponsored