Sponsored

Catastrophic Failure at 31,000 Miles (2021 2.0L Turbo)

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL, 2013 Dodge Charger R/T
Clubs

Earlier this month, I was driving home, just like any other normal day. Suddenly, my temp gauge shot up to the red and I had to pull my Jeep off the road and shut the engine off. I looked under the Jeep and it was spewing coolant everywhere.

I had to get a tow to my house, then a tow to the dealership, as the original tow driver wouldn't take it all the way to my dealership. First tow was free through GEICO, second tow I had to partially pay for through Chrysler, but they are reimbursing me.

Turns out the hose that blew was the heater core return hose, it has a massive split in it, kind of in the shape of an eye. This hose is up high so it spewed over everything on the undercarriage of my Jeep.

The techs were unsure what hose part it was exactly that blew, so they ordered two. Neither of them fit. Then they got with the factory, and determined that they didn't have all the diagrams they needed to identify all the parts. So they finally got the right part in and replaced it, no issues since.

I was without my Jeep for 8 days. All because of a blown heater core return hose. Financially this was fine, as it was covered under warranty.

But this failure happened 3 days before I was supposed to go on an awesome road trip down to central California, to see one of my favorite bands and also visit with some family. I considered taking a different vehicle, but parts of the trip were centered around the Jeep. It wouldn't have been the same. So having my trip derailed, really ****ing sucked. I still get mad about it when I think about it too long.

Anyway, moral is, not being able to go get a part and fix something yourself sucks. Also, when this happened I researched constantly to see if this had happened to anyone. Nothing on 2.0 coolant leaks other than the slow leak at the water pump due to do the loose bolts, which was fixed on my vehicle under recall a long while ago. My service manager that I deal with is a veteran and had never seen this happen on a 2.0, he was very surprised. Makes me want to check all my hoses, as I just don't know why this one failed to the degree that it did with a large 4 inch split.

At least she's fixed now, and I got some new Rubicon X fender flare takeoffs. Also have a plethora of new Motobilt parts on the way, thank you Black Friday sale.

I hope you guys with 2.0s fare better with your cooling hoses.

APC_0002.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
TorturedMargot

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL, 2013 Dodge Charger R/T
Clubs

You call a blown hose, a catastrophic failure?
When the dealership is unable to identify what the part is, and I can’t get it locally and fix it myself in time to go on my trip I planned months ahead of time, definitely.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
You call a blown hose, a catastrophic failure?
I was thinking the same thing when I clicked on this. Disappointing no doubt but I was thinking I was going to read about a total engine failure.

I consider this a catastrophic failure on the dealers part, which is also disappointing, but very normal these days unfortunately.

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Gotta be honest, I was expecting some carnage of some kind in here. A split heater core hose definitely sucks, especially if it ruined your plans, but I don't know if catastrophic is the word I'd choose. Perhaps "obnoxious" or "aggravating"?

Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
Sorry, we're going to have to do some chit to yer jeep. Lessee, catastrophic.. ?

:LOL:

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
I had a catastrophic failure once ... blew a wiper fuse in the rain and I didn't have one. Had to substitute my blower motor fuse, but then my windows fogged up. ?

Jeep Wrangler JL Catastrophic Failure at 31,000 Miles (2021 2.0L Turbo) catastrophe-what-a-catastrophe

Midwestjeepguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Had a similar scenario happen. Instead of a heater core hose failing though it was the heater core itself. Coolant spewed from the weep hole due to the heater core gunking up. Occurred 2 days before an out of state family trip, I live in MO and we were driving to MI where I grew up. It was a summer trip to see friends/family and hit the dunes off Lake Michigan (Silver Lake Sand Dunes are amazing if you haven't been). My kids were excited, my buddies and their kids were excited (especially those who never had a Wrangler top down summer drive experience). One of my buddy's kids is obsessed with Jeeps and has never been in one.

We ended up having to drive a different vehicle for the trip because the heater core would not be replaced in time. I was pissed and felt bad for all the kids, but the silver lining was that it happened when I was by myself heading home from work and not when the Jeep was packed with my young kids, wife, and all of our vacation crap in the middle of Illinois or Indiana. It's an excuse to plan another summer trip in 2024. Kids will have a blast and it will have only been delayed a year. In the moment it sucks though, I feel for ya.

Last edited:

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
I think sudden and rapid disassembly of the hose constitutes "catastrophic failure" of the hose, since it disabled the vehicle and put the OP in a situation which also caused loss of use. SO I tend to agree with him.

I also agree that's not normal....I've actually never had a hose just GO like that. There are usually warning signs, leaks, etc.

Sponsored

258_T18A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 392, 1979 CJ7
With the older cars, the heater hoses always had a lot of slack in them, so if they failed towards the end you could slice off the bad part with a razor blade and then just reattach it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
With the older cars, the heater hoses always had a lot of slack in them, so if they failed towards the end you could slice off the bad part with a razor blade and then just reattach it.
I did exactly that, many moons ago, as a stopgap measure until I was able to source a new replacement hose. That dates back to a time when you could see the ground when looking down into the engine bay, and by extension, had room to move your hands more than 2 inches at a time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Catastrophic Failure at 31,000 Miles (2021 2.0L Turbo) 1701297218584

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I think sudden and rapid disassembly of the hose constitutes "catastrophic failure" of the hose, since it disabled the vehicle and put the OP in a situation which also caused loss of use. SO I tend to agree with him.
If I run out of gas, it suddenly stops the engine and puts me in a situation where I can't use my car until "fixed" (i.e. I put more gas in it). So does that count as a catastrophic engine failure?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
When the dealership is unable to identify what the part is, and I can’t get it locally and fix it myself in time to go on my trip I planned months ahead of time, definitely.
You set your expectation of the dealership way too high. Two words JEEP DEALERSHIP, your experience is probably "par for the course". I do realize some members get a birdie but a lot of folks get bogey, double bogey, and some even hit the stroke limit for the hole.
Sponsored