Catalytic Converter Theft- what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
So in your immaculate Gated community that you seem to live in, if your Catalytic Converter was stolen from one of your vehicles, you would move out of your house??? I'd be more worried about my neighbors giving me crab (grass) than a stranger drug addict coming into my Gated Community once in a while and stealing my Cat converter.
Look, I'm just kidding, but it seems a little extreme to suggest moving over something like this. Just my 2 cents.
The crab grass neighbor and I went round and round this year...lol

OP
OP
timn1984

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
The crab grass neighbor and I went round and round this year...lol
I need to find the one who put the moles in my yard..... I had them gone a couple of years back, and not they are back with a vengeance!!!

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I wish thats how it was, but unfortunately thats a good way to get arrested and sent to prison. Most states don’t allow the use of any force to protect property.
Actually, many states DO have some sort of provision. Including preventing felonies, carjackings, etc. And in many states the standard is whether YOU felt afraid for your life. Well, dude cutting a CAT can cut use that tool to cut you, had to shoot him to protect yourself because he was making his way towards you, etc. Possibilities for the defense argument are numerous, in theory. And, his statement was on the 2A, not necessarily using deadly force. You can have it to protect yourself if the thief gets violent after being caught and seeing you call the cops.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Actually, many states DO have some sort of provision. Including preventing felonies, carjackings, etc. And in many states the standard is whether YOU felt afraid for your life. Well, dude cutting a CAT can cut use that tool to cut you, had to shoot him to protect yourself because he was making his way towards you, etc. Possibilities for the defense argument are numerous, in theory. And, his statement was on the 2A, not necessarily using deadly force. You can have it to protect yourself if the thief gets violent after being caught and seeing you call the cops.
Uhg. No, they don't. Being in your car, getting car jacked is completely different from a dude under your car thats parked in the street. You can't use castle doctrine to advance into the threat. The standard isnt whether or not YOU felt afraid. Its whether a REASONABLE PERSON would feel afraid in those circumstances. You'll be lucky in most states/jurisdictions to get even one person who has a CCW on the jury, and the prosecution or civil litigator will absolutely screen for that in the jury selection pool, and it will be spun that you went and tried to be a vigilante taking the law into your own hand and created the altercation.

Listen, I get what everyone wants it to be. And I get state's vary greatly. What I'm trying to tell you is be fucking careful, because I've been involved in shootings, I've been in court rooms watching people go to jail for shit they thought they could do, and I've seen "the good guy" get it worse than "the bad guy" more times than I can count because they weren't clear on what they could and couldn't legally do. If you don't have stand your ground laws and castle doctrine laws and use of force to protect property laws -and you don't do all those things exactly the way you're supposed to- you *COULD* end up going to jail, especially when many courts are going to view your altercation as one you initiated by confronting the thief in the first place. If you dont live in a state that gives you civil liability protection for legal action, you'll get sued after even a good shooting. What I'm asking is, is all that shit worth it over an insured fucking catalytic converter???

By all means call the cops. By all means "hey! get the fuck away from my car!!" by all means defend yourself if you get legitimately attacked. But walking out into the middle of the public road with your vehicle parked on it and holding someone at gun point telling them you'll kill them if they move is something that could very likely get you jammed up in most places of the US. All I am saying is: be. fucking. careful. You're telling me what you think and what you want. I'm telling you what I've seen first hand.

Last edited:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The standard isnt whether or not YOU felt afraid. Its whether a REASONABLE PERSON would feel afraid in those circumstances.
The standard in SOME states is as you have it. The standard in others is as I have it.

What I'm trying to tell you is be fucking careful, because I've been involved in shootings, I've been in court rooms watching people go to jail for shit they thought they could do, and I've seen "the good guy" get it worse than "the bad guy" more times than I can count because they weren't clear on what they could and couldn't legally do. If you don't have stand your ground laws and castle doctrine laws and use of force to protect property laws -and you don't do all those things exactly the way you're supposed to- you *COULD* end up going to jail. What I'm asking is, is all that shit worth it over a fucking catalytic converter???
I'll PM you on the stuff in bold. The other stuff is fair advice. Like anything, it's all a matter of what you're willing to risk and what you hope to accomplish. For some, having a CAT stolen incapacitates their ability to go to work, earn a living, feed their family, and feel safe in their home. That may be worth shooting someone, to some people.

Last edited:

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
The standard in SOME states is as you have it. The standard in others is as I have it.
Which is the crux of point I've made over and over and over. Know the laws of your state and your jurisdiction. We have people in this thread from California and New Jersey and Indiana and New York and all kinds of other places, and it would be a mistake for them to take on gospel what the guys from rural Kentucky and Texas are telling them.

I'm just trying to encourage people to use caution and sound judgement, because involving a weapon in an altercation is a good way to end up in a bad way. For me, an insured property item probably isn't worth it. ymmv.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Which is the crux of point I've made over and over and over. Know the laws of your state and your jurisdiction. We have people in this thread from California and New Jersey and Indiana and New York and all kinds of other places, and it would be a mistake for them to take on gospel what the guys from rural Kentucky and Texas are telling them.
That's decent advice in any situation. And in general, don't believe what you read on the internet, there's a reason attorneys exist and charge by the hour lol.

Back to the original OP: converters are being stolen all across the country. If I recall the JL's CAT is fairly easy to reach/see but not so easy to cut out. Now on vehicles like Subarus and Honda Elements/CRVs, yah, slide under and cut it out.

fczabala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; X5
Clubs

I'm just trying to encourage people to use caution and sound judgement, because involving a weapon in an altercation is a good way to end up in a bad way. For me, an insured property item probably isn't worth it. ymmv.
you have people even from NY! talking out of their ass without even knowing the law
NY's castle doctrine has a little something added to it called "duty to retreat"
so yeah go out on your lawn/driveway and shoot someone stealing your cat! lol SMH!
I support/defend the 2A but goddamn people, know the freaking law on your own state!
and please don't go on a public forum spreading misinformation
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.