Sponsored

Caster correction after lift (Rusty’s control Arms)

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t really see many options for the arms that you can adjust without removing. Really I should not have to ever really adjust the caster much. But it would make it easier for sure!
If you are not one to change lift kits/springs etc those arms are perfect. It truly is set it and forget it. I personally like on vehicle adjustable components, but I'm constantly changing/testing different setups where they would make my life easier.
Sponsored

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If you are not one to change lift kits/springs etc those arms are perfect. It truly is set it and forget it. I personally like on vehicle adjustable components, but I'm constantly changing/testing different setups where they would make my life easier.
A Crowfoot and battery impact and the difference in time is minimal. In fact, some of the on vehicle adjustables like Synergy are known to freeze up and require significant effort to make the adjustments. But that's the great part about what makes the world go around... We can have preferences and buy what we like.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've read that the JL is set at low caster from the factory. Mine doesn't seem to be anywhere near 4.5° but I haven't had it on an alignment rack yet, only measured it at home with an angle tool. If I do a 2.5" RC lift, are you saying that lower control arms are going to be mandatory?

OP
OP
Craigb

Craigb

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I've read that the JL is set at low caster from the factory. Mine doesn't seem to be anywhere near 4.5° but I haven't had it on an alignment rack yet, only measured it at home with an angle tool. If I do a 2.5" RC lift, are you saying that lower control arms are going to be mandatory?
What kind of reading did you come up with? Yours should be within factory specs. If not something is wrong.

I definitely would not want to keep driving mine after a 2 inch lift without caster correction. The steering wheel did not want to return to center And the directional stability was definitely affected.

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't seen enough stock JL's on the rack to say they are coming out low. But I can say there is a lot of chatter about people thinking they drive a little "loose". Definitely an indicator... It seems that with any amount of lift, caster correction is going to be helpful.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Craigb

Craigb

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The spec is between 4.4 and 6.4. When I do my oil change I’m going to increase mine closer to 6.4 if the pinion angle still looks good.

ATX_SAHARA

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
*following* After my lift and tires, and alignment I felt the ride was like you mentioned...directionally affected. It goes forward but is difficult to keep on a straight line with an easy grip on the wheel. I was a big knee drive and eat lunch guy due to work....not in the JLU

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
They are not mandatory. I can't tell a difference between stock or with my RC lift. I would say with anything over 2.5 you might look into a trackbar or maybe some lower control arms but not at this little of lift.

OP
OP
Craigb

Craigb

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
They are not mandatory. I can't tell a difference between stock or with my RC lift. I would say with anything over 2.5 you might look into a trackbar or maybe some lower control arms but not at this little of lift.
Mine was supposed to be a 1 to 1.5 inch but ended up with a 2 inch lift and my caster was off. The mopar kit comes with longer arms also. Did you have your alignment checked after the RC lift?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Mine is about a degree off give or take. Nothing to be concerned with. I do my own alignments.

Sponsored

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Every Jeep is a little different... 2 Jeeps with the exact same lift can have drastically different caster.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is about a degree off give or take. Nothing to be concerned with. I do my own alignments.
I do my own also.
I've always done my own as well. What are you guys using for your caster and toe measurements?
I'm always curious if there is a better/easier way than what I'm doing. :like:

OP
OP
Craigb

Craigb

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I've always done my own as well. What are you guys using for your caster and toe measurements?
I'm always curious if there is a better/easier way than what I'm doing. :like:
I have access to a hunter alignment machine. But you could use a tape measure for to and a hub gauge for camber and caster. I started doing alignments 24 years ago with a tape measure and caster gauge.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I have access to a hunter alignment machine. But you could use a tape measure for to and a hub gauge for camber and caster. I started doing alignments 24 years ago with a tape measure and caster gauge.
Nice, I have a Friend that works at a shop that will do alignments for me after hours on vehicles with "on vehicle" adjustable components but he won't touch them when he has to drop the arms.
I've always used the caster gauge and for toe I have a pipe within a pipe that I use to take measurements. I have been fairly accurate with those two methods over the years, but I would love to have an alignment machine at my disposal.
Sponsored