Caster 3.3 after lift. But handles great

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I installed the Dynatrack Endurosport 2.0" lift on my 18 JLUR with stock wheels and General Grabber A/TX 315/70R17 E tires. Jeep handles better than stock. No play in steering wheel, wheel returns to center when I let go of it, No wondering. Had an alignment done and my Caster is 3.3 on both sides. Jeep says Caster spec is 4.8 +/- 1.0 but requires a minimum of 4.0. Since my Jeep handles and steers great is there any reason for me to spend the money on the longer Jeep 24.25" lower control arms or adjustable ones to get it in spec? Alignment tech at Big O Tires test drove it after doing the alignment and said it drives and handles great. He wouldn't change anything.
Sponsored

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
By all means if it handles great why change anything?
I have a 2 inch AEV spacer lift.
It handles like stock.

Your jeep is like your wife you do change anything if she handles well.
(Just adding a bit of humour. Hopefully not too cheesy for my fellow jeepers.)

Jolly’s Jp

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR on 37s
I installed the Dynatrack Endurosport 2.0" lift on my 18 JLUR with stock wheels and General Grabber A/TX 315/70R17 E tires. Jeep handles better than stock. No play in steering wheel, wheel returns to center when I let go of it, No wondering. Had an alignment done and my Caster is 3.3 on both sides. Jeep says Caster spec is 4.8 +/- 1.0 but requires a minimum of 4.0. Since my Jeep handles and steers great is there any reason for me to spend the money on the longer Jeep 24.25" lower control arms or adjustable ones to get it in spec? Alignment tech at Big O Tires test drove it after doing the alignment and said it drives and handles great. He wouldn't change anything.
Greg,

By any chance, do you have any pictures of your JLUR with lift and 315s?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'd say you're driving a rare bird, w/ that low caster but still retaining good hwy manners. If you're happy with it then just keep enjoying the drive. I think I'd still up the caster, but without being behind the wheel who am I to say???

Nice looking ride btw!

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Handling is subjective. If compared to a CJ5 any caster number will feel great. Wondering if OP swapping out for a longer lower control arm and increase caster to 4.2 degrees may be OP will think he’s driving a Duesenberg.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Handling is subjective. If compared to a CJ5 any caster number will feel great. Wondering if OP swapping out for a longer lower control arm and increase caster to 4.2 degrees may be OP will think he’s driving a Duesenberg.
I put a shackle reversion setup on my CJ5, and although I've never driven a Duesenberg it actually drove down the road quite well, better than my CJ7 actually :)

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
There is no way caster at 3.3 will handle great, it will drive like a Walmart shopping cart (which has almost 0 caster). So either:

1. The Big O Tire did not check the alignment number correctly. This is likely the scenario, because I don't think a 2 inch lift will throw your caster to that much lower.

2. Your standard of "handling great" is different. What is the last vehicle your drove?

OP
OP
Greg H

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
There is no way caster at 3.3 will handle great, it will drive like a Walmart shopping cart (which has almost 0 caster). So either:

1. The Big O Tire did not check the alignment number correctly. This is likely the scenario, because I don't think a 2 inch lift will throw your caster to that much lower.

2. Your standard of "handling great" is different. What is the last vehicle your drove?
I've owned 3 Mustang Gt's, a Mustang Cobra, a Camero Z28, 2 Wrangler JK 2 door sports. A 16 Silverado 1500 ZR1. I traded a 16 Challenger RT Shaker in on my 18 JLUR. Our second vehicle is a 19 Ford Ranger FX4. I've attached a copy of the alignment printout. It's possible they read it wrong.
Jeep Wrangler JL Caster 3.3 after lift. But handles great 20210923_073621

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I there weren't any longer LCAs included w/ that lift than that 3.3 is probably just about what it should be after raising 2".
Maybe OPs previous Jeeps were also lifted w/out new LCAs (or UCAs) and is just used to low caster.

But FWIW @Greg H I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND those Mopar lift LCAs at a minimum, but adjustable LCAs FTW! Getting that caster in the 6s I bet you'll be quite happy, those Mopar LCAs will get you to about 4.5 to maybe 5.
Sponsored