Casey 250 drops his Diesel

JLJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I don't care who switches to whatever engine for click bait or because the kewl kids have money burning holes in their pockets and want the latest hyped up sex machine to keep up with there buddies.

What I do know is the 2.0T I went with in my new Willys Xtreme Recon is one pretty impressive engine so far. It's not even broke in yet and I'm averaging 20.6 mpgs with only 572 miles on it and that's driving up and down a mountain every day and around town on 35 inch tires. I'm sure I'll average more when I get a couple thousand miles on it.

I can't wait until the engine is broke in after it's first oil change so I can really give it the beans and feel it's full power range. But right now light footing it it pulls the Jeep up my mountain with ease. Plenty of power and I didn't have to pay $80k+. And I have a lighter front end which is a major advantage off roading and in general.

I think a lot of people need to try out the 2.0T for themselves. Especially with the 4.56 gears in the XR. You might be pleasantly surprised. I know I am. 🤟

20220620_131109.jpg
Damn, you should be a salesman at the Jeep dealership with that rhetoric. The 2.0 is known to have many issues. But hey...you do you 🤷‍♂️

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

That wasn't a dig towards him. I like his videos alot. He wouldn't do that. I was actually joking about Lite Bright doing that. I should note I like there videos too. So it was just a friendly dig. And I personally wouldn't do that to a 392 Jeep. But that's just me.
Yeah I don't understand starting with a 392 to go bigger. Someone needs to explain that logic? Axles? Suspension? Help me understand

I do like Litebrite and Casey. Learned a lot.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Youtuber looking to refresh channel and gain more clicks changes platform, tale as old as time...well social media time anyhow.
Sure but a learning experience for him and others that don't have the means. No issues here.

Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Damn, you should be a salesman at the Jeep dealership with that rhetoric. The 2.0 is known to have many issues. But hey...you do you 🤷‍♂️
Evey engine known to man has had some kind of issue or another. Most of the time it's owner error when it comes to turbos. I can guarantee most of the 2.0T owners that had an issue fill it up with 87 octain fuel to save money and they probably change there oil once every 10k miles and not use the proper oil. If you know turbos and direct injection that's not really a good idea. (But the owners manual said i can🤥)But I guess that's just rhetoric. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
I get it.

I have friends who live in places like Toronto and Mississauga. I have heard about the cold. Still, they say it is not as cold as the places way up north.

A friend of mine lives 3 hours north of Toronto. She told me about a black bear she saw in her back yard one day.
Well I am from Truckee CA and we have bears all the time. BC on the coast is pretty warm but in the mountains not so much. Casey mentioned the same derate issue Brad at Trail Recon did

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
They need to have a plate style radiator in these Jeeps

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
i don't where people get this "$4K additional purchase cost" thing.
What is it that you don't get?

The JLU 3.0D is exactly $4,010 more than the 2.0T and $3,510 more than the 3.6L ESS.

In addition the cheapest JLU with the diesel requires the automatic, while the cheapest JLU with a 3.6 does not - so you need to add the Ëś1,500 (net) of the auto in case you want the lowest cost option.

It's all there on Jeep's web site. If you just click on diesel as the only option you see the numbers go up by approx $5K to $6K. Depending on the model.

Jeep Wrangler JL Casey 250 drops his Diesel 1656533425325

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
your claim to a $4K difference is not based on comparing apples to apples.

if you compare 2 vehicles with the auto transmission and change only the motor, the difference is much less.

What is it that you don't get?

The JLU 3.0D is exactly $4,010 more than the 2.0T and $3,510 more than the 3.6L ESS.

In addition the cheapest JLU with the diesel requires the automatic, while the cheapest JLU with a 3.6 does not - so you need to add the Ëś1,500 (net) of the auto in case you want the lowest cost option.

It's all there on Jeep's web site. If you just click on diesel as the only option you see the numbers go up by approx $5K to $6K. Depending on the model.

1656533425325.png

Last edited:

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You also get the extra insulation firewall and hard top, upgraded axles, suspension, heavy duty brakes, and a couple other things I’m forgetting.

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Top quote is diesel it come standard with 100k warranty, upgraded axles, suspension and a few other things. Bottom is a gas you can see the price difference isn’t much.
Jeep Wrangler JL Casey 250 drops his Diesel 5501EC3D-446E-4642-BA0A-FF9A4EC5C37D

Jeep Wrangler JL Casey 250 drops his Diesel DD94580A-9F36-4879-9FAF-337D814E6AD4

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Please direct me to this shop where I can get this done! I really want to do just what you suggested and I have the financial means to do so, provided it's a reasonable cost. I have spent a considerable amount of time researching this issue and have yet to find a solution.
From what I've learned, engine derates occur in the 250-260 degree range. Once oil temperatures rise to 240 degrees, incremental increases happen quite quickly . . . literally seconds to go from 245 to 250 degrees when at speed limits on sustained grades. I watch my oil temperatures like a hawk when on the steep highway sections I know quite well.

I do not see oil temperatures above 240 degrees ANYWHERE except on steep highway grades. I consider the 210-230 degree range to be "typical" when cruising on the highway.
I recently was in a conversation with a viewer over a Casey 250 video. He suggested the red line product Water Wetter. He suggested contacting the company to see if it is applicable to for the EcoDiesel in the Wrangler. I called and spoke to an engineer over at Red Line and sure enough he found the Eco diesel and it is approved for use of their Water Wetter product. Mine arrived today will be adding it to the coolant, Will keep you posted. It's been a hot summer so far here in the California desert so it will be a good test for the remainder of the summer. Hope to get back into the higher California elevations at the end of summer. Never had an issue before but I don't run skid plates or rooftop tents. Just 37's M/T 3.5" Game Changer lift, rear mounted spare, front steel OEM bumper with the Warn winch. Full camp gear. payload is approximately 600 pounds. + wife and dog. I never lack power or the need to go over half throttle when climbing grades through the High Sierra's. I'm hoping the cooler coolant temps will aid in cooler oil temps. My belief is the tight engine bay and minimal clearance with the Wrangler hood causes the excessive heat build-up.
I might be wrong here but I don't believe the Ram truck EcoDiesel guys have the heat temps that we experience in our EcoDiesel Wranglers.
Sponsored