Sponsored

Cascadia Solar wiring. Excess Positive/negative, safe to coil/stack?

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
High School science was a long time ago.

Finally a nice, warm day here, so finished installing the panel. Was wondering if the feed lines going to the battery are safe to place this way on top of each other:

Jeep Wrangler JL Cascadia Solar wiring. 
Excess Positive/negative, safe to coil/stack? 20210518_160637

They are coils made from looping the excess wire from the middle. The ties around them have them metal inside, and they are both next to the main 12V battery.

The wiring coming from the panel will be on top as well:
Excess Positive/negative, safe to coil/stack? 20210518_163042

They don't turn into induction coils or something stacked like this, do they? Even if something jiggled loose and into the coil of another?

Or will they cook an engine block hot dog and wirelessly charge my phone? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Never mind. Old electrical buddy said it's alright like this.

Short answer, yes, induction coil, but only once when I plug it in.

But since those battery cables are so freaky-long, I might put the brain inside the cabin instead, so I can see the blinkenlights.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
I'm still thinking about relocating mine and having second battery (house) mounted in back of my JT. I need to go see if I've got that much extra wire too. 👍🏻
But I'll try to not have your radio interface problem too.😉
I've had mine for over a year now.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I'm still thinking about relocating mine and having second battery (house) mounted in back of my JT. I need to go see if I've got that much extra wire too. 👍🏻
But I'll try to not have your radio interface problem too.😉
I've had mine for over a year now.

Not enough spare wire to make to the bed of a JT, just way too much to make sense if mounted the way they suggest.

To be fair, I've a bunch of possibly cheap/sloppy wiring around the Cascadia wireing, so that could be adding to the interference. Adding more ferrites and rerouting a bit seems to have helped.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not enough spare wire to make to the bed of a JT, just way too much to make sense if mounted the way they suggest.

To be fair, I've a bunch of possibly cheap/sloppy wiring around the Cascadia wireing, so that could be adding to the interference. Adding more ferrites and rerouting a bit seems to have helped.
I've already got wiring running to back of bed, connected to the accessory off the Cascade MPPT control box.👍🏻 That I can swap over to the battery output wires. I'm running a Fridge freezer in bed full time already.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I've already got wiring running to back of bed, connected to the accessory off the Cascade MPPT control box.👍🏻 That I can swap over to the battery output wires. I'm running a Fridge freezer in bed full time already.

Still second-guessing not getting a JT. Thinking of wiring my little Engel fridge/freezer to the brain-box as well, since the controller has an automatic low-voltage cut-off.

The coiled intestines of the Cascadia controller, if not the actual guts, are all over the passenger-side footwell right now, so I should probably clean things up a bit before before trying to involve the fridge.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to turn it up a little due to freezing everything in it. 😉 Not a top name model but Amazon prime about $350.00 a year ago.

1622771478752764526512087367818.jpg

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I had to turn it up a little due to freezing everything in it. 😉 Not a top name model but Amazon prime about $350.00 a year ago.

Excess Positive/negative, safe to coil/stack? 1622771478752764526512087367818
Agh, you got a cool bed cab with side access.

But no, after spending way to much time thinking about it, and then flipping a quarter at the end, I decided a four-door was better for me.

Only a mite jealous here.
Sponsored