Carvana Paying Big $$$ for Wranglers

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I saw a Carvana.com ad that said they will buy your car and even come pick it up, additionally they would provide a immediate quote online (not even you email required, how refreshing). So We have a Infinity G37 Hardtop Convertible i plan to sell so I thought I would give it a try. The infinity price not very impressive though.

So I tried my 2018 Sahara, Plugged in the VIN and answered the option questions and the quote popped up at $35,879. I only paid $39,400 (14.5% off MSRP)

https://www.carvana.com/sellyourcar

For those with JLU-JLUS and want to move to a Rubicon this may be an option to minimize loss.

for me though staying with the Sahara as Rubicons are too heavy to tow behind most Gas Motorhomes. Plus I do not Rock Crawl and I really like the LSD read end

I also ran my Tesla Model S to see value and I was pleasantly surprised at the value as well
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vroom is another company with the same business model.

ScubaSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
My estimate came back at $39.7k on a 55k msrp Rubicon w/ 5k miles. Not exactly big $$$.
When I bought my JLU Sport recently, I had the dealer run the residual values on a Sahara and Rubicon as well. The Rubicon actually had the lowest residual value. I forget the actual percentages, but I remember Sport being the highest (maybe 72%?), followed by Sahara (60ish%). The Rubicon was much lower, though I can't really explain why.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
When I bought my JLU Sport recently, I had the dealer run the residual values on a Sahara and Rubicon as well. The Rubicon actually had the lowest residual value. I forget the actual percentages, but I remember Sport being the highest (maybe 72%?), followed by Sahara (60ish%). The Rubicon was much lower, though I can't really explain why.
Because more people want used Sports and Saharas. It seems to me the reason is as simple as that.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
I got a pretty solid offer on my Rubi...4K and change less than I paid for my 2018

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
$39,425 for a fairly optioned up 2018 Rubi with 5,300 miles. I paid 47K, MSRP was 52K.

JP18

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Because more people want used Sports and Saharas. It seems to me the reason is as simple as that.
I have to agree with these guys.

Really I guess it depends on where you live.

In Florida (flat/coastal) no one gives a shit what model wrangler it is, they just want a Jeep to take on the beaches.

So owning a ‘Rubicon’ here means nothing to the vast majority. If you own one that’s cool but your residuals will end up being within a gnats ass of mine in a Sport.

See for yourself, go on KBB for example and price a 2010 JKUR with standard equipment and 80k mileage in ‘Very Good’ condition to a 2010 JKU Sport with standard equipment and same mileage in the same condition on zip code 32092 (St. Augustine, FL). They are within about 2k of each other for private party and trade-in..

See below:

2010 JKUR Trade-In:
4FEE3B8F-2017-4126-8F09-0C7CF265DCE2.png

2010 JKU Sport Trade-In:
6050DE58-291C-46F1-91BC-E9697789E9D7.png

2010 JKUR Private Party:
37AE1607-B40B-46E1-A2F0-4CE4B5F2A508.png

2010 JKU Sport Private Party:
007172A7-62BD-4C5F-AC70-A3A99350D3E0.png

*So, the reason for posting this, it’s not to bash anyone for the decisions they made, however, don’t spread false information on this forum.

I’ve seen countless posts on this forum about how Rubicons are way more valuable in the end and things like this to members thinking about trading up ‘You should trade your Sport in for a Rubicon in the end you’ll get a lot more money in residual’

False.

Sport/Sahara owners paid on average 10k + less than Rubicon owners in the beginning and in the end they are almost the same value.

Now, I’ve run the numbers on several different years and it appears that if Rubicon owners want to maintain that 10k value over their Sport brothers, hold your shorts, you’ll need to dump it within 1 yr.. It rapidly decreases each year from that 1st year in comparison. 10k/7k/5k and so on in comparison.

Each year I compared I used the following:

- 10k miles per year (do the math)

- Standard equipment option for the trims (it’s a button so it automatically adds what comes standard in the Rubicon over the Sport)

- Color: Black

- Very Good condition

Try it out. I could be wrong.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Here in the SW Rubicons hold their value, going for at least $5k more than a comparable Sport.

At least for later model, lower mileage JKs; I can't see why the JL will be any different in a few years

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Here in the SW Rubicons hold their value, going for at least $5k more than a comparable Sport.

At least for later model, lower mileage JKs; I can't see why the JL will be any different in a few years
Not going to disagree with you there and as I said it is all about where you live.

My concern is for the folks who have been telling others on here that Rubi's are way more valuable down the line.

At any rate, buy what you want, all Wranglers are nice!

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Not going to disagree with you there and as I said it is all about where you live.

My concern is for the folks who have been telling others on here that Rubi's are way more valuable down the line.

At any rate, buy what you want, all Wranglers are nice!
You are correct in region vs value, I am near Seattle and in this market Wranglers are very popular which likely resulted in my high value and why my infinity hard top convertible value sucked. Seattle be a hi tech city is likely why my Tesla also did well.

Note I ran my Sahara using a Florida zip in Port St Lucie there was a $800 drop, however I then ran it in Miami and it was $100 Higher than my original suggesting it is worth more in Miami that Seattle.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

They should go for $5K more since they cost $10K more to start with

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct in region vs value, I am near Seattle and in this market Wranglers are very popular which likely resulted in my high value and why my infinity hard top convertible value sucked. Seattle be a hi tech city is likely why my Tesla also did well.

Note I ran my Sahara using a Florida zip in Port St Lucie there was a $800 drop, however I then ran it in Miami and it was $100 Higher than my original suggesting it is worth more in Miami that Seattle.
Florida too is a wrangler Mecca lol out of every 10 vehicles you’ll see on the road there will be at least 2 wranglers in the mix.

Kind of cool actually!
Sponsored