Cart for storing hard top on its side

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Here is how I'm storing my hard top. Cart specs are after the images.
I like the sideways orientation for tight garages, especially front to back. Advantages are that you can pull up into it no matter how wide of a car is on that side of the garage and that you can put a little bit of light storage on top of it, like I'm doing with my freedom panels.
IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg
IMG_2046.jpg
IMG_2048.jpg

Cart specs/instructions:

Materials:
  • One 1x4 x 8'
  • One 2x4 at least 40" long, scrap is fine.
  • Four casters of your preference (at least two swiveling)
  • Four 2.5" or 3" wood screws
  • Eight 1.5" wood screws
  • Sixteen 7/8" wood screws for the casters (make sure the heads aren't too small for the caster holes ... I went with round head)
  • 8" x 12' of cheap utility carpet. (I was able to get HD (or Lowe's, don't remember) to pull just 8" through their carpet slicing machine. I think I paid for a foot.)
Instructions:
  • (Have the store?) Cut two 28.25" pieces from the 1x4x8'. That should leave the remaining piece at 39.25", assuming 1/8" blade.
  • Cut the 2x4 length to match that third piece.
  • Attach the shorter pieces of 1x4 to each end of the longer piece at right angles. I used four 1.5" screws at each corner. The ends of each piece should be flush with the edge of the piece they're attaching to.
  • Screw the 2x4 to the other ends of the short pieces, short face down. In other words the 2" side should be against the 1x4 and the 4" side should be sticking up at a right angle from it. (Yes, I know they're really 1.75" and 3.5".) I used two 3" wood screws at each corner. The ends of the 1x4s should be flush with the edge of the 2x4.
  • Attach the casters with the 7/8" wood screws.
  • Wrap the wood with carpet and staple gun it in.
If you've done it right, you'll have 23" between the inside edges of the 2x4 and the longer 1x4. That's enough for the weight of the top to be just "higher" then the drip edge on the top when it's in position.

To those who worry about weight being on that unsupported side corner of the hard top for months on end, forget it. I stored my JK top that way for 6 months each year for 10 years and it never budged a fraction.
Sponsored

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
I suppose this should be moved into the DIY Write-ups forum. I didn’t think that far.