Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
In expedient conditions, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a filled 20L NATO can in the interior of a vehicle, at least for the short term. I've half a dozen of those containers in my shed; they serve as seasonal fuel storage/supply for ethanol-free gasoline.

To be honest, that's what I have to do now (when refilling them), since I've sold the truck that preceded the Jeep. They seal quite well and are as robust as they need to be. The original 1930s-era German design continues to impress.
Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I think I'm pretty edge-case, but I'll put it here anyway. My JLUD gets 25+mpg and has around a 400 mile range. Living in southeast Louisiana, I don't do any offroading. But, I do tow a boat often. And, we occasionally get hurricanes which disrupt fuel options.

So, I took off my spare tire and added a 5-gal jerrycan. This allows me to carry an extra ~125 miles of diesel on board if needed. Or, I can easily give my boat enough fuel to get it to a fuel dock after draining it for storage.

This wasn't a "bolt-on" solution. I took those gate reinforcement hinges and a jerrycan holder, then welded the holder to the hinges. Actually, there are 2 bolts (where I had enough room behind the hinges for bolt heads) and welded the other 2 sides. Also the spare-tire delete, license relocation thingy.

Added benefit is that it is legal, because the license plate is unobstructed when viewed from the rear. But . . . you can't see the whole plate if you are a traffic control camera mounted on the side of the road.

20211116_080425[1].jpg

20211116_080413[1].jpg
I want to do this too, except I don't want to relocate the license plate. What I would like to do is delete the spare and install a Moly plate instead. That way I can attach the OEM third light to the top of the Moly plate, and attach anything else I want to the back as well. I was thinking even going as far as adding a 12 gallon gas tank, or maybe a small 2 layer rack system in place of the spare.

Does anyone know of a decent Moly plate I can buy? Preferably one which is under $100 and ideally has slots or holes already cut into it.
Worst case scenario I'll just buy a piece of steel and make it myself I guess.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
All these suggestions for fuel cans strapped on the outside, the inside...what could possibly go wrong ? Rear ending is not uncommon, nor are accidents caused by idiots.
A safer solution, remove the factory muffler, as per " Muffler Delete", using an exhaust pipe extension and install a fuel tank under there. A lot safer than something plastered on the back, or inside. Plumb in a transfer pump to the main tank, no separate fill needed. A bare sketch,just meant to get the ball rolling.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I have found there are no places in the lower 48 US where spare fuel is needed on a vehicle with a 200 mile range. Main thing is to stop for fuel whenever you see a station if are in an unfamiliar area.

Some long stretches on side roads through Central Texas and the desert are rare examples to fuel even if you are at 3/4 full. If you must have a spare tank, get a fuel sack. They roll up and store compact.

Now in Mexico or Australia absolutely carry not only spare fuel but stop at every single place to top off even if you go one mile!!

Carrying spare gas is like these Overlanders that are carrying spare everything "just in case". When traveling think like a backpacker.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave trail alone is 150 miles, no problem for most.
Do some side excursions, problem.
Just include fuel in your side excursion. Peel off in the Preserve and take your pick of trails or sand washes to one of the many gas stations. Mountain Pass, Rasor Rd, Searchlight, Baker, Newberry Springs, Needles. just to name a few.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hurricane Ida. 2 weeks on gasoline generator power. gas was so scarce at the end of week 1 we were down to 1 Honda Accord and had drained the tanks on the tractor, lawnmower, trucks and Jeep.
I went into the storm with every vehicle and 20 gallons extra. My burn rate was low compared to most at 7.5 gallons per day.
for reference, my 36 kw unit at work burned 100 gallons propane every 2.5 days at 60% load.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 gallon aux tank makes no fuel trips. On four mojave road runs so far.
Good lord Thane!! That's a lot of spare fuel and tank mass. Almost 45 gallons total and 200 lbs extra of unnecessary weight. To each his own. If it works for you then good on ya'.

I cannot imagine anywhere I need 600+ miles worth of fuel.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Good lord Thane!! That's a lot of spare fuel and tank mass. Almost 45 gallons total and 200 lbs extra of unnecessary weight. To each his own. If it works for you then good on ya'.

Imagine post #84, Wagzdad ; this is not an unlikely scenario at all. We are one headline, one weather event away from such a scenario. The old adage, better to have it and not need it is especially apt here.
Don't knock what you can't " imagine"

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imagine post #84, Wagzdad ; this is not an unlikely scenario at all. We are one headline, one weather event away from such a scenario. The old adage, better to have it and not need it is especially apt here.
Don't knock what you can't " imagine"
I don't live my life in fear and over preparing for a disaster. Carrying around a whole bunch of extra fuel because there might be a fuel outage? Not me.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Just a note, but you don't need to carry it all the time. The point is to have the spare capacity IF you see an upcoming situation where that extra capacity is needed.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser

It is a lot of weight, good weight, low and rearward. This lowers the center of gravity and cycles the rear suspension better for my use.

... and as pointed out, I don't have to fill it at all.

Considering how common carrying fuel cans is on the trail, the factory capacity is obviously deficient to those who trail.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering how common carrying fuel cans is on the trail, the factory capacity is obviously deficient to those who trail.
The only time I carry spare cans if for my dirt bikes. it's all good though. It's your rig and you are comfortable with it.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like getting off pavement in D.V.N.P. . It has nearly 1,000 miles of dirt and paved roads, more than any other National Park. The two gas stations in the park sell reg. for $6+. Seldom do I get out of the park without taking on some fuel. I carry two-2 gallon RotoPaks because its easier than walking the 64 miles they represent.
Saline Valley D.V. Ca. (1).jpeg
Yes DV would be an exception. That is one place I would really enjoy to have a nice 2 door like yourself. I have ridden almost every single paved and dirt road in that park over the years on my motorcycles.

For general info there are more than just 2 stations around the vicinity of DV. Right off major washes and travel trails there is Panamint Springs, Olancha, Lone Pine, Beatty, and Shoshone (just to name a few).
Sponsored