Sponsored

Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
So, I took off my spare tire and added a 5-gal jerrycan...
Many years ago, during the first US gas crisis, one of the solutions was to close gas stations on Sundays. I was in a situation where I had to make 600 mile round trips some weekends, driving my old sports car with 15mpg and 16 gallon tank. It had full size spare under the rear. My dad has a tank fabricated shaped like a tuna can and we mounted it where the spare tire went. It held 24 gallons! Most of the time I just put the spare in my apartment, when I needed to travel I strapped it on my luggage rack. For what a person would need to spend on a bunch or rotopax and expensive mounts, you could probably have a tank fabricated that could fit somewhere under the Jeep. (I haven't looked to see if there are any good sized open spaces under there.)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Many years ago, during the first US gas crisis, one of the solutions was to close gas stations on Sundays. I was in a situation where I had to make 600 mile round trips some weekends, driving my old sports car with 15mpg and 16 gallon tank. It had full size spare under the rear. My dad has a tank fabricated shaped like a tuna can and we mounted it where the spare tire went. It held 24 gallons! Most of the time I just put the spare in my apartment, when I needed to travel I strapped it on my luggage rack. For what a person would need to spend on a bunch or rotopax and expensive mounts, you could probably have a tank fabricated that could fit somewhere under the Jeep. (I haven't looked to see if there are any good sized open spaces under there.)
I have daydreams of the dealership installed (LOL), warranty approved aux tank but it's reviews don't really support the cost from what I've read, so back to one of the previous thoughts...The Rotopax system that goes over the hard top windows (braced vertically)...Was wondering if anyone has seen a horizontal version of that system that could work mounted off the roll bar if your hardtop's off...

Reactions: J0E

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The Rotopax system that goes over the hard top windows (braced vertically)...

Was wondering if anyone has seen a horizontal version of that system that could work mounted off the roll bar if your hardtop's off...
Consider the vendor's liability exposure if, or when, a fuel container mounted in that manner leaks or gets punctured, thus introducing flammable liquid into the passenger compartment.

Their apparent unwillingness to risk a potential Superfund site in our Jeeps is probably the correct approach.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Consider the vendor's liability exposure if, or when, a fuel container mounted in that manner leaks or gets punctured, thus introducing flammable liquid into the passenger compartment.
I was contemplating carrying cans and had thought about some of these things. Apparently it is not uncommon to carry a good quality can inside the vehicle. I figured a steel Jerry can, so surrounded by camping gear that it couldn't move, would not be much of a risk. However being surrounded by camping gear didn't contain the smell.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I was contemplating carrying cans and had thought about some of these things. Apparently it is not uncommon to carry a good quality can inside the vehicle. I figured a steel Jerry can, so surrounded by camping gear that it couldn't move, would not be much of a risk. However being surrounded by camping gear didn't contain the smell.
So, over the spare like a pack horse or the rotopax in front of spare seems like best remaining choices ...who's got a quarter?

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The one thing I hate about the Rotopax gas cans is they are not self venting. They expand and contract like crazy as the weather changes. Sure you can buy self venting cap, but they are extra. Like really, you're charging about $80 to $100 for a gas can that would cost $5 dollars at Walmart and you can't even make them self venting, I have to go back and crack the cap even if there is not fuel in the can. I know it is a simple task, but so is a self venting cap.

baskiboat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Sting Gray
I have daydreams of the dealership installed (LOL), warranty approved aux tank but it's reviews don't really support the cost from what I've read, so back to one of the previous thoughts...The Rotopax system that goes over the hard top windows (braced vertically)...Was wondering if anyone has seen a horizontal version of that system that could work mounted off the roll bar if your hardtop's off...
I have not purchased one, but I like the looks of this one by hi-lift. Not sure if it is soft top compatible. I have the SOT top with the Pak Rax system. I think the trail trak option would replace the Pak Rax if I removed the rear quarter windows. I also contemplated using it instead of the Pak Rax because I think a tank might fit between my roll bar and window. I may still investigate this option more.

Screenshot_20211119-023330_Chrome.jpg

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I have not purchased one, but I like the looks of this one by hi-lift. Not sure if it is soft top compatible. I have the SOT top with the Pak Rax system. I think the trail trak option would replace the Pak Rax if I removed the rear quarter windows. I also contemplated using it instead of the Pak Rax because I think a tank might fit between my roll bar and window. I may still investigate this option more.

Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank? Screenshot_20211119-023330_Chrome
3rd picture in that set shows the soft top in safari mode with the hilift mounted and in the product video on that page he states it is compatible with both tops. It does look like you'll have to remove the jack to push the top all the way back.

Sponsored

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
If you want to carry a 5er in side the Jeep I would suggest getting a NATO can. They will not vent becasue of the cam operated seal. Not availble to ship in certain states like CA.
Use them for many years never a smell. They pour better than the old military version, but I always used a funnel. Now days a small portable battery powered pump is the best solution.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want to carry a 5er in side the Jeep I would suggest getting a NATO can. They will not vent becasue of the cam operated seal. Not availble to ship in certain states like CA.
Use them for many years never a smell. They pour better than the old military version, but I always used a funnel. Now days a small portable battery powered pump is the best solution.
I bought the Harbor Freight version of the NATO can, with a less than perfect gasket. I've found that a simple rubber gasket that would be used for drain lines under your sink will fix it. I'll try that and see how it works but as of now I don't have any upcoming trips that would require carrying the can.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I have carried fuel in the vehicle for longer trips, and while it works, definitely don't recommend. If you do have to carry in your vehicle, I highly recommend the Scepter cans. You can only buy them surplus in the US, but I've been putting a set of Scepter fuel cans (MFC) and water cans (MWC) through over a decade of trail and camp abuse and they have held up wonderfully.

As @wibornz highlights with the Rotopax, the Scepter cans are also non-venting, but that also means no smells if carried inside.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
You could always just use large trash cans if you need to move a lot of fuel...

Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank? Gas Crisis

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
The real NATO can gaskets are availble off the web and theuy work very good.
Sponsored