Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank?

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
So what is the accepted method of increasing travel distances? I see cans attached all over, some obstruct rear camera, also have seen tank size increase, seems like a huge waste of money for the amount of fuel added, anyway...please share how you are adding to your fuel package???
Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I agree with your initial conclusion - unless you're adding a proper extended tank - look into The Road Chose Me instagram page for a recent post on his Gladiator in Australia - extra cans are not worth the effort unless you're a person who likes prepping for things that aren't going to happen just for the heck of it. If so - man - get the fancy rotopax mounts. Those look great in the background of skottle cooking photos ;).

For me - it's all about logic. When I think "extend travel distances," I like to consider it in terms of real numbers. What is your current travel distance capability? Where are you going that requires it to be longer, and then how much gas is going to be needed to do that thing?

When I really looked hard that that (in the process of minimizing my Jeep's weight) I had a reality check with myself and realized the extra fuel simply isn't necessary for the purpose of increasing travel distances in the USA. Note: "travel" being the important word. If rock crawling in 4-low all day is the activity, traveling isn't what you're doing. Reserve gas for spending all day in 4 low at a park, and having enough to get home, is very logical...and makes a lot of sense for those builds.

For traveling - in the USA - I don't bother, even taking the 10% hit to being in 4hi off pavement. There are very, very few places you're going to be traveling in the backcountry where the range of the JL, even in 4hi, isn't going to be sufficient to make it to the next easily accessible gas station. Like you pointed out, the pain in the ass of the gas can, or fancy external mount, just to carry an extra 5 gallons....isn't worth it. Simple reason - engines are better now.

We had a bunch of XJ's and TJ/LJs. The 4.0 was fun, but a bit gutless and loved gas - and a lot of those TJs had the smaller 15 gallon tank as well. In those days I carried an extra 5 gallon gas can and emptied it into the main tank as soon as I could when we were doing offroad camping trips. In parts of the Utah BDR, that 5 gallons legitimately was necessary to make it through multi days in the back country between fueling to keep that thirsty monster topped up. These days, I don't carry one, and it felt weird at first not packing it...but after a few seasons with the JL I just don't need extra fuel even for multi day trips.

Reasons to have the extra gas can:
  1. I want a reserve gas option because bolting stuff to my Jeep is fun and this is America. :rock:
  2. I want a reserve gas option because when I go camping I like seeing it and feeling it's there. (just buy a cheap 2 gallons and see how often you actually NEED to crack it open)
  3. I want a reserve gas option because I am going to one of the few - and I stress few - backcountry routes in the USA where you legitimately cannot get to a fuel source to refuel in the travel range of current jeeps that aren't overloaded with stuff.
  4. I do "overlanding" in a rig that has everything but the garage welder bolted to it, lifted with 37+ tires, and pull a trailer...thus my 10mpg is legit. Honestly...you need an extra tank at this point.
  5. I want a gas reserve gas option because I think I might need to help people out of fuel in the back country. (I've been back country camping or *best south african accent* "overlanding" for over a decade and never has this actually been necessary. If anything, they travel in packs and everyone has 5 gas cans.)
  6. I'm shipping my Jeep to Australia to do the Canning stock route and I'm installing a reserve tank.

Imo - buy a small gas can. Fill it to spec, and bring it with you on trips. Don't use it. See if you really need it, because I agree - the real solution for major extended range is a bigger main tank for which there are great options.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I agree with your initial conclusion - unless you're adding a proper extended tank - look into The Road Chose Me instagram page for a recent post on his Gladiator in Australia - extra cans are not worth the effort unless you're a person who likes prepping for things that aren't going to happen just for the heck of it. If so - man - get the fancy rotopax mounts. Those look great in the background of skottle cooking photos ;).

For me - it's all about logic. When I think "extend travel distances," I like to consider it in terms of real numbers. What is your current travel distance capability? Where are you going that requires it to be longer, and then how much gas is going to be needed to do that thing?

When I really looked hard that that (in the process of minimizing my Jeep's weight) I had a reality check with myself and realized the extra fuel simply isn't necessary for the purpose of increasing travel distances in the USA. Note: "travel" being the important word. If rock crawling in 4-low all day is the activity, traveling isn't what you're doing. Reserve gas for spending all day in 4 low at a park, and having enough to get home, is very logical...and makes a lot of sense for those builds.

For traveling - in the USA - I don't bother, even taking the 10% hit to being in 4hi off pavement. There are very, very few places you're going to be traveling in the backcountry where the range of the JL, even in 4hi, isn't going to be sufficient to make it to the next easily accessible gas station. Like you pointed out, the pain in the ass of the gas can, or fancy external mount, just to carry an extra 5 gallons....isn't worth it. Simple reason - engines are better now.

We had a bunch of XJ's and TJ/LJs. The 4.0 was fun, but a bit gutless and loved gas. In those days I carried an extra 5 gallon gas can and emptied it into the main tank as soon as I could when we were doing offroad camping trips. In parts of the Utah BDR, that 5 gallons legitimately was necessary to make it through multi days in the back country between fueling to keep that thirsty monster topped up. These days, I don't carry one, and it felt weird at first not packing it...but after a few seasons with the JL I just don't need extra fuel even for multi day trips.

Reasons to have the extra gas can:
  1. I want a reserve gas option because bolting stuff to my Jeep is fun and this is America. :rock:
  2. I want a reserve gas option because when I go camping I like seeing it and feeling it's there. (just buy a cheap 2 gallons and see how often you actually NEED to crack it open)
  3. I want a reserve gas option because I am going to one of the few - and I stress few - backcountry routes in the USA where you legitimately cannot get to a fuel source to refuel in the travel range of current jeeps that aren't overloaded with stuff.
  4. I do "overlanding" in a rig that has everything but the garage welder bolted to it, lifted with 37+ tires, and pull a trailer...thus my 10mpg is legit. Honestly...you need an extra tank at this point.
  5. I want a gas reserve gas option because I think I might need to help people out of fuel in the back country. (I've been back country camping or *best south african accent* "overlanding" for over a decade and never has this actually been necessary. If anything, they travel in packs and everyone has 5 gas cans.)
  6. I'm shipping my Jeep to Australia to do the Canning stock route and I'm installing a reserve tank.

Imo - buy a small gas can. Fill it to spec, and bring it with you on trips. Don't use it. See if you really need it, because I agree - the real solution for major extended range is a bigger main tank for which there are great options.
Thank you for taking the time to be thorough....Being new at Jeeping, it's easy to fall in every worm hole I drive by, lol, thanks again.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
So what is the accepted method of increasing travel distances? I see cans attached all over, some obstruct rear camera, also have seen tank size increase, seems like a huge waste of money for the amount of fuel added, anyway...please share how you are adding to your fuel package???
A popular option is Rotopax with the EZ Tire mount kit that wraps around the spare tire.. but!!! You will need to take into account the extra weight if your spare tire is mounted on the tailgate (if you off-road is even worse since the dynamic loads on the tailgate from bouncing around and dropping from a ledge and landing on the rear puts massive loads on the tailgate) ... if you have a bumper carrier then not much of an issue..

I like this system since is very easy to install and remove.. you have easy access to the tanks.. it does not obstruct the rear camera .. it is not a cheap solution.. but a lot cheaper than replacing the stock tank with aftermarket solutions... and safer than carrying Gerry cans inside your rig..

I carry 2 of the 3.5 Gallon Rotopax Fuelpax (Fuelpax is the cheaper tank made by Rotopax... I went with Fuelpax because is the only version that makes the bigger 3.5 gallon tank.. Rotopax is Roto-moldex and thicker walls.. Fuelpax is blowmolded and thinner walls... However I have abused my Fuelpax tanks a lot and they are still in perfect condition) so I am able to carry 7 extra gallons with an easy to install system:

Link to the Rotopax Fuelpax tanks I use:
Amazon.com: RotopaX FX-3.5 FuelpaX 3-1/2 Gallon Gas Can. : Automotive

Link to the EZ Tire Kit:
EZ Tire Kit (rotopax.com)

Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank? 1636652824129

Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank? 1636652829750

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
A popular option is Rotopax with the EZ Tire mount kit that wraps around the spare tire.. but!!! You will need to take into account the extra weight if your spare tire is mounted on the tailgate (if you off-road is even worse since the dynamic loads on the tailgate from bouncing around and dropping from a ledge and landing on the rear puts massive loads on the tailgate) ... if you have a bumper carrier then not much of an issue..

I like this system since is very easy to install and remove.. you have easy access to the tanks.. it does not obstruct the rear camera .. it is not a cheap solution.. but a lot cheaper than replacing the stock tank with aftermarket solutions... and safer than carrying Gerry cans inside your rig..

I carry 2 of the 3.5 Gallon Rotopax Fuelpax (Fuelpax if the cheaper tank made by Rotopax... I went with Fuelpax because is the only version that makes the bigger 3.5 gallon tank.. Rotopax is Roto-moldex and thicker walls.. Fuelpax is blowmolded and thinner walls... However I have abused my Fuelpax tanks a lot and they are still in perfect condition) so I am able to carry 7 extra gallons with an easy to install system:

Link to the Rotopax Fuelpax tanks I use:
Amazon.com: RotopaX FX-3.5 FuelpaX 3-1/2 Gallon Gas Can. : Automotive

Link to the EZ Tire Kit:
EZ Tire Kit (rotopax.com)

Does that method obstruct your antenna/s (GMRS, CB etc) mount/s?

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Does that method obstruct your antenna/s (GMRS, CB etc) mount/s?
It does not.. at least not in my case... my CB antenna is mounted to the bumper... and as the tailgate swings away from the bumper it does not hit the antenna... I cannot picture a situation where the tanks interfere with anything really.. :)

I imagine it will interfere with other bulky things like a rear mounted High Lift Jack....

Reactions: J0E

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Another reason is if you have a 2 door with the smaller tank to work with. And with my 16MPG average when the Jeep is unloaded, I would rather have a few extra gallons.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
It does not.. at least not in my case... my CB antenna is mounted to the bumper... and as the tailgate swings away from the bumper it does not hit the antenna... I cannot picture a situation where the tanks interfere with anything really.. :)

I imagine it will interfere with other bulky things like a rear mounted High Lift Jack....
ok, thanks.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Another reason is if you have a 2 door with the smaller tank to work with. And with my 16MPG average when the Jeep is unloaded, I would rather have a few extra gallons.
Right, that 2dr tank is tiny, so was thinking ABILITY to carry extra and then common sense it like JohnnyJ threw out on when to actually include it, sounds pretty close to right...thanks all

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
So what is the accepted method of increasing travel distances?
Just for the sake of aesthetics, I purchased a carrier plate to secure a 1.75 gal. RotopaX on the Jeep. The former was purchased to supplement the larger Acerbis fuel tank I had installed on my Suzuki, where efforts to increase travel distance make a vital difference.

There's no shortage of forum posts where JL owners mention their less-than-stellar fuel mileage, which usually comes about as a result of heavier tires/wheels, lift kits and the like. This is instructive.

Don't be put off the idea of supplemental fuel-carrying capacity simply because a lengthy argument against doing so is presented in list format. Are such folks standing by to deliver fuel to you wherever and whenever you run low? It's your skin in the game, not anyone else's. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying gas cans and or Bigger Tank? RotopaX

Geography can surprise us. Some years back, my riding partner and I spent the better part of the day making time on the Fleur-de-lis Trail in Cape Breton Island, hoping to reach the Provincial Park (for camping) before sunset. It was a miles-long isolated ride on a rural two lane road, with nothing but conifers for as far as the eye could see. The "Last Gas for xx Kilometers" sign was a welcome one, and I'd have topped off the Jeep's tank with the same enthusiasm that day.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I suppose it depends on where you're going, but having a 2 door with its smaller tank some extra gas cans could be a nice thing. This summer I was up in the bighorns of Wyoming camping with family. I had filled up in Sheridan, and while it's not the only place nearby to get fuel past that you're getting into mountain/touristy towns and the fuel prices to match. From where I filled up in Sheridan to the camp was 52 miles most of that up a mountain. That weekend we did some running around the mountains with my Jeep and did a lot more 4x4 trails than I had expected. My father was having fun comparing my JL Rubicon's capabilities to his lifted Suzuki Vitara (here is an example that isn't his but very similar). I ended up needing to run to the lodge to buy fuel from them at some inflated price and I also was wondering about age/quality of that fuel as I was standing there watching the dials on the pump spin, dinging as every dollar went by. It would have been nice to have a few extra gallons on board. But in the past these situations have been so rare for me that I've never bothered.

If I was to buy a mount to carry a jerry can or two, I would be partial to a side mount, similar to what is offered from morryde. I don't know about this product in particular, but I prefer that location for my use.

https://www.morryde.com/products/jl-side-mount-w-universal-tray-driver-side/

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I typically carry rotopax with at least 4 gallons of extra fuel and plan accordingly. Yes, they're expensive, but not crazy expensive. It's more piece of mind, if anything. I've never actually had to use them.

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Think of the dollars spent on that gas up in the mountains. It could be $15 a gallon X say 10 gallons you would have carried (both numbers exaggerated) and this one time deal when you needed it would be only $150. Oh and subtract the value of what that gas would have cost In Sheridan. How much do 2 Rotopax plus the mountings cost? In reality that gas was probably $2 more expensive than gas in Sheridan X 10 gallons. 20 bucks you spent extra.
The gas resource was there when it was needed and you took advantage of it. Now maybe if you had to make a special 50 mile trip to get it it would not make sense but…

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
I have a 22 gal aux tank on my current trail rig. It provides more than range as it lowers the center of gravity and put more weight in the rear where my suspension needs it. I can also shift the weight forward and aft. Not lifting and holding cans while they drain is luxury, no gas odor hands is priceless.

It is also more than a doubling as you use the entire 22 gal increase, unlike the main tank which I stay out of the last 5 gal making it a 16 gallon operational tank. The pump has a Y diverter and hose so I can share fuel on the trail, because siphoning sucks.

While it is one of my favorite upgrades I am holding off on my 21 JLURXR aux tank since it's current role is pavement princess, but it is coming.

The stink-eye I get from Costco members behind me in line for fuel is worth the cost alone.
Sponsored