Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does that too when she connects to a cable for charging but so does the stock connectivity on her Mazda when we are both in the vehicle with our phones.
I wonder if one could say buy a USB adapter to plug into the 12v port if CarPlay would see that phone ?
Sponsored

spolo85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'm about a week in using the Carlinklink 2.0 adapter and I've experienced the following.

With the unit wired in the USB port within the center console where it can be hidden, it would freeze up and restart at least once a trip. Sometimes it actually caused my head unit to restart as well which is extremely worrisome. As someone who is in IT, this usually indicates that there is poor RAM management on the adapter's firmware. So I decided to rollback the firmware and see if there was a difference. Unfortunatley rolling back the firmware resulted in the same.

I then decided to plug in the adapter on the front UBS port, right below the head unit. I've been using it there for a few days now and I haven't had a single issue. I'm not sure how there can be a difference between these two ports but it's really annoying to have it in the front and open where I can't hide the adapter. At some point next week, I'm going to place back in the center console just to make sure that it wasn't a coincidence and that for some reason, that port just doesn't work with this device.

Stay tuned

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I'm about a week in using the Carlinklink 2.0 adapter and I've experienced the following.

With the unit wired in the USB port within the center console where it can be hidden, it would freeze up and restart at least once a trip. Sometimes it actually caused my head unit to restart as well which is extremely worrisome. As someone who is in IT, this usually indicates that there is poor RAM management on the adapter's firmware. So I decided to rollback the firmware and see if there was a difference. Unfortunatley rolling back the firmware resulted in the same.

I then decided to plug in the adapter on the front UBS port, right below the head unit. I've been using it there for a few days now and I haven't had a single issue. I'm not sure how there can be a difference between these two ports but it's really annoying to have it in the front and open where I can't hide the adapter. At some point next week, I'm going to place back in the center console just to make sure that it wasn't a coincidence and that for some reason, that port just doesn't work with this device.

Stay tuned
It may be the Jeep, not the adapter. Our USB ports starting flaking out with wired Carplay, gradually getting worse and worse. The dealer ended up having to replace the USB's in the console and the dash, I believe it is one unit. Carplay has worked great since then, and now wireless also.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

Stay tuned
For me having it right below the head unit would be ok as I don’t have the aux switches so there’s a little cutout cubby that for the most part useless to put anything in and the usb plug is right there, but you are correct having it buried in the console out of the way would be better

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I have the Carplay2 Air adapter installed behind the dash as shown in another thread but i'm thinking of de-installiing it and moving it. Anyone else having issues when it's really cold (below 20 degrees)? I've been having this issue lately.

Stay tuned
Interesting. This sounds exactly like my issue wiith USB 2 for wired Carplay.

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I wonder if one could say buy a USB adapter to plug into the 12v port if CarPlay would see that phone ?

From the Carlinkit CarPlay website:

Tips:
  1. 1.If your car does not have CarPlay, this dongle may not be suitable for your vehicle. At the same time, your vehicle must have a female USB-A port (not a USB port converted from a cigarette lighter). If your car supports wired CarPlay and with a standard USB port, then you can use it to upgrade your vehicle to wireless CarPlay.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Have not plugged it in yet but it got decent reviews and if it does not work out Amazon has a good return policy

Jeep Wrangler JL Carplay2air??? Wireless carplay dongle 2EEF9256-F687-485E-8017-D26C5FEEFB33

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Have been using my wireless CarPlay as my above post for the past few weeks and so far it’s been 100% solid and working great, the only hiccup it has is when I plug my phone into another USB port it gets alittle confused so I thought i could plug my phone into the bottom of the CarPlay dongle but like how it’s tucked away so I just got one of those cheapie 12v USB things that plug into the 12v plug and now Carplay never sees it during charging.

My next test will be to move it into my center console to see if he reception is affected and if not I will just plug my charging cable into the back of the dongle and have the cord come out along the side to use for charging when needed.

I know it’s only been a few weeks but I simply love having wireless CarPlay 👍🏻

Jeepr

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 2dr Rubicon

Stay tuned
Have you tested the other port again yet?

spolo85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Have you tested the other port again yet?
I have. It works perfectly on the main USB port but keeps dropping randomly on the secondary USB port which is extremely annoying since I want to hide the device in my center console.

I believe someone on here stated that the secondary USB port is known to be buggy which is extremely odd if that's true. I'll have to contact my local jeep dealer and see if they can swap it out, especially since I upgraded my coverage for electronics

Sponsored

masksav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS
I have the Carlinkit 2.0plus in my 2021 JLUS. It’s in the center console and works flawlessly. But I am concern about battery drain. Anybody have any issues?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Carlinkit 2.0plus in my 2021 JLUS. It’s in the center console and works flawlessly. But I am concern about battery drain. Anybody have any issues?
If you leave it plugged in it’s not going to be an issue as the USB ports power down after 60 mins or at least the one near the radio does, I was concerned about this early on as I saw the LED ring around the USB port lit after shut down and I brought it to the dealers attention when my Jeep was under warranty and they said it powers down after approx an hour and my OCD forced me to check this so one rainy after noon I started the Jeep and then shut it down and started a timer and about 60 mins later it powered down and I checked it twice but in all honestly the device is so small even if it did not power down i don’t think it would be an issue as I’m sure the parasitic draw in minimal But if they did not power down and the Jeep was going to be parked for say a week or so I would most likely unplug it or put the Jeep on a battery tender

Jeep Wrangler JL Carplay2air??? Wireless carplay dongle D9E8B5B8-C570-4A18-A55D-11F24D390D6E

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have. It works perfectly on the main USB port but keeps dropping randomly on the secondary USB port which is extremely annoying since I want to hide the device in my center console.

I believe someone on here stated that the secondary USB port is known to be buggy which is extremely odd if that's true. I'll have to contact my local jeep dealer and see if they can swap it out, especially since I upgraded my coverage for electronics
I had the same issue so left it in that little cutout in front of my shifter as I don’t have the aux switches or sway bar disconnect so it’s a pretty useless space so I use it to tuck in the Carplay adapter and small micro fiber cloth to clean my screen

masksav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS
If you leave it plugged in it’s not going to be an issue as the USB ports power down after 60 mins or at least the one near the radio does, I was concerned about this early on as I saw the LED ring around the USB port lit after shut down and I brought it to the dealers attention when my Jeep was under warranty and they said it powers down after approx an hour and my OCD forced me to check this so one rainy after noon I started the Jeep and then shut it down and started a timer and about 60 mins later it powered down and I checked it twice but in all honestly the device is so small even if it did not power down i don’t think it would be an issue as I’m sure the parasitic draw in minimal But if they did not power down and the Jeep was going to be parked for say a week or so I would most likely unplug it or put the Jeep on a battery tender

Jeep Wrangler JL Carplay2air??? Wireless carplay dongle D9E8B5B8-C570-4A18-A55D-11F24D390D6E