dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So an update. My complaint about the CarPlay2air was that everytime I left it plugged into my Jeep, when I shut it down and started It back up again the dongle would freeze and was really buggy so I had to unplug and re plug it back in. But after renting two different Jeep Cherokees from the dealer while my Jeep was in the shop the carplay worked flawless in both cars. Leaving it plugged in was never a problem. So obviously the problem is my jeep, not the device.
I have the same issue where it freezes half the time and must be unplugged. It's been living in a box for months and written off as a waste of money. I did see an email today where they have an update. Claims to include more vehicles so possibly it "might" have some bug fixes. I might update the device and try again sometime this next week.
Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I have the same issue where it freezes half the time and must be unplugged. It's been living in a box for months and written off as a waste of money. I did see an email today where they have an update. Claims to include more vehicles so possibly it "might" have some bug fixes. I might update the device and try again sometime this next week.
I got the same email

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Just spent 30 minutes doing updates. 1st update hung at 90% and after rebooting it stated another version needed to be applied first. That version in Chinese hung at 5%. Rebooted and it applied. Back to the 1st version which hung at 90% and after a reboot applied. When it would hang I'd wait 5 minutes before rebooting.

It's all connected and up-to-date and I know at least one update stated it had fixes for connectivity issues. We'll see since the updates are so quirky else it's back to the drawer with old Rokus, misc cables and the free Alexa Auto Amazon gave me.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Sold mine, crap
I have heard this a lot and for the $$ you would expect better so for now I will just stick with my plug in cable

Last edited:

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Sold mine, crap
Just because they release software fixes doesn't mean it actually fixes them all. First thing this morning it did not recognize the device until I unplugged and plugged it back in. Subsequent starts worked okay. I suspect the issues aren't fixed and if I'm going to have to open the console and replug the darn thing then I might as well just use a cable on my iphone. We'll see how it performs over the next few weeks but it may go back into the box.

If you sold yours and recovered some portion of the cost then you may have made the correct choice.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Just because they release software fixes doesn't mean it actually fixes them all. First thing this morning it did not recognize the device until I unplugged and plugged it back in. Subsequent starts worked okay. I suspect the issues aren't fixed and if I'm going to have to open the console and replug the darn thing then I might as well just use a cable on my iphone. We'll see how it performs over the next few weeks but it may go back into the box.

If you sold yours and recovered some portion of the cost then you may have made the correct choice.
I have just gotten into the habit of plugging mine in all the time, I have a cord coming from side the console and out thru the slotted side on the driver side. I would love to have a wireless option but not at the expense of it working some of the time

hazylogic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2021 JLUR on order
Hm. Just got mine in today, had no issues linking or updating FW with a 2021 8.4”. Cycled/re-connected a few times and seems to work without issue. Will give it time and see if I run into any of the problems others are reporting with it freezing. :fingerscrossed:

spolo85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Is there something I'm missing here??? I got mine yesterday and the directions outline how to set this device up with an Android based head unit. None of the Jeep's head units are Android based. I can't download an APK and install it on my head unit like you can on an Android based head unit because Jeeps use UConnect. How are you guys connecting your Jeeps to this thing?

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Is there something I'm missing here??? I got mine yesterday and the directions outline how to set this device up with an Android based head unit. None of the Jeep's head units are Android based. I can't download an APK and install it on my head unit like you can on an Android based head unit because Jeeps use UConnect. How are you guys connecting your Jeeps to this thing?
Are you talking about the same Carplay2air unit from this thread? Theres nothing to download or install in the Jeep, just plug it into the USB and pair your phone to it

Sponsored

spolo85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Are you talking about the same Carplay2air unit from this thread? Theres nothing to download or install in the Jeep, just plug it into the USB and pair your phone to it
I went to look back at my order and it says "CPlay2Air" which I can't tell now if it's just another company or the same...However I just re-read the description of this device and it's showing " CPLAY2air wireless adapter for Android based systems + Android Auto" which is extremely annoying because on their site it listed 2020 Jeep's as compatible...

I don't get it, is there multiple companies, multiple versions, mulitple whatever...

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I went to look back at my order and it says "CPlay2Air" which I can't tell now if it's just another company or the same...However I just re-read the description of this device and it's showing " CPLAY2air wireless adapter for Android based systems + Android Auto" which is extremely annoying because on their site it listed 2020 Jeep's as compatible...

I don't get it, is there multiple companies, multiple versions, mulitple whatever...
Yep, pretty much. It looks like there are several companies reselling the same device. The headunit operating system shouldn't matter as this should be universal. Have you tried connecting the dongle to USB and then connecting to it with your iPhone?

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR

this is where I purchased, directly from their website: https://cplay2air.com/products/cpla...y-android-auto-module-and-mirror-link-feature

spolo85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Yep, pretty much. It looks like there are several companies reselling the same device. The headunit operating system shouldn't matter as this should be universal. Have you tried connecting the dongle to USB and then connecting to it with your iPhone?
tried that but it doesn't work. The Jeep does not see any carplay device connected. The directions that came with it specifically says that their APK needs to be installed on the head unit for the device to recognize the phone. However UConnect head units are not Android Based
Sponsored