Carplay2air??? Wireless carplay dongle

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I turn the car off to go into the store. Come back out, now I see a new part to the screen where it says "or once connected, click phone below" or whatever, and see it list my phone.

t via
I get this too when I leave the device plugged in when I shut down my Jeep. It usually gets buggy when I power back up so that’s why I always unplug it then plug it back in after I start the Jeep.
Sponsored

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
so I cleared all Carplay settings, removed Uconnect from my bluetooth settings, and cleared the phone from the Jeep settings, clearing the Smartphone mirror too.

with that said, I made sure to have wifi turned off, and started the CP2Air process again... plugged it in while in the grocery parking lot, and nothing shows up on discoverable bluetooth.... my Apple watch is connected to Bluetooth, thought maybe that was causing an issue, but IDK. CP2Air boots up on the Jeep screen, solid red light (shouldn't it be flashing for setup?) and you can tap home, search, etc. still nothing discoverable on iphone.

I then plug my phone into the CP2Air via a charger plugged into the dongle... wait a few minutes, and Jeep shows up as bluetooth discoverable... I click it, nothing... keep clicking it and with about 11 unsuccessful attempts, it FINALLY pairs.... I disconnect the charger, see that CarPlay is still on the screen, I open a few apps on the Jeep screen..... working! BUT NOW.....

I turn the car off to go into the store. Come back out, now I see a new part to the screen where it says "or once connected, click phone below" or whatever, and see it list my phone.

phone will not connect via bluetooth to the dongle. I literally counted 50 unsuccessful attempts, Apple Watch still connected to phone though. I did notice that WIFI showed up as Jeep something something, but wondering if that was my UConnect trying to chime in. Is there supposed to be a car WIFI connected for the dongle to connect via bluetooth to phone?
You can’t turn WiFi off entirely as CarPlay uses WiFi and Bluetooth simultaneously. Once you have cleared out the settings, make sure you have both WiFi and Bluetooth turned on in settings for your phone. At that point, pair the phone to the dongle via Bluetooth. The dongle will have a name like “JEEP W-XXXX” where xxxx is a four digit number - assuming you have it connected to a Jeep Wrangler - other vehicles will have their own names. At the point at which the phone connects to the dongle via Bluetooth the phone will prompt you to enable CarPlay.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I get this too when I leave the device plugged in when I shut down my Jeep. It usually gets buggy when I power back up so that’s why I always unplug it then plug it back in after I start the Jeep.
It takes about 15 seconds to connect sometimes. If I just leave it plugged in, it works.

pcprice

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GC Limited
You can’t turn WiFi off entirely as CarPlay uses WiFi and Bluetooth simultaneously. Once you have cleared out the settings, make sure you have both WiFi and Bluetooth turned on in settings for your phone. At that point, pair the phone to the dongle via Bluetooth. The dongle will have a name like “JEEP W-XXXX” where xxxx is a four digit number - assuming you have it connected to a Jeep Wrangler - other vehicles will have their own names. At the point at which the phone connects to the dongle via Bluetooth the phone will prompt you to enable CarPlay.

Is there a way to factory reset he dongle completely? When you first get the device and plug it in, is it supposed to flash red until paired properly? if so.... mine has always been a solid red.

I can only get the bluetooth to show up to pair if I plug my phone in via charger into the dongle. I still get pop ups of "Allow Auto Box to access contacts" or "Allow Auto Box to control without unlocking phone"...... as soon as the bluetooth is discovered, I click on it, while still plugged in, and it pairs, connect, does a little flash on the screen, and then I unplug and it stays on wirelessly....

until I turn off the car or unplug the dongle... when the dongle is back on... i see my phone's name on the screen, but when I try to reconnect the bluetooth (with and without being plugged in) it is always an unsuccessful message.

I fear that the device is stuck in some mode, or wasn't new and something is wrong with it. If I could just start all the way over, maybe it could work. :(

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I just received and installed my Carlinkit 2.0 adapter. Everything appears to be working without issue. My question is, what happens if the vehicle is remote started and my phone is not in range? Will my phone connect once I'm close enough to the vehicle?

Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that’s pretty much how I thought it may play out. I’m not really expecting much, just in it for the sport at this point. :)
Holy &$@! PayPal decided in my favor. Full refund.

ABE02443-A698-409D-87F5-EA4422CAD673.jpeg

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Holy &$@! PayPal decided in my favor. Full refund.

ABE02443-A698-409D-87F5-EA4422CAD673.jpeg
Well. More details. No restocking fee, but I do have to ship it back at my cost. And check this out, now they have an address in Lithuania also.

Looks like about $38 is the cheapest way to get it there, but PayPal offers up to $30 refund for return shipping costs. I need to look into that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Carplay2air??? Wireless carplay dongle 5027A41A-FBE6-4E10-99B2-961AE80A144B

Last edited:

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Well. More details. No restocking fee, but I do have to ship it back at my cost. And check this out, now they have an address in Lithuania also.

Looks like about $38 is the cheapest way to get it there, but PayPal offers up to $30 refund for return shipping costs. I need to look into that.

5027A41A-FBE6-4E10-99B2-961AE80A144B.png
If it is defective, I would expect them to pay for return shipping...no way I would pay that for a faulty product. I would make PayPal aware that nowhere on their website do they mention the buyer is responsible for return shipping in the event of a defective item.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
If it is defective, I would expect them to pay for return shipping...no way I would pay that for a faulty product. I would make PayPal aware that nowhere on their website do they mention the buyer is responsible for return shipping in the event of a defective item.
Yep. Nor do they mention LITHUANIA. :) Waiting to hear back.

pcprice

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GC Limited
after 13 total emails and 4 in the last 36 hours for troubleshooting, finally got Carplay2Air to respond and diagnose my item as defective.

"The shipment for returns and exchange will be on you since we already shouldered the shipping." In order to get a replacement, I have to ship the defect item back on my dime, back to China, and they instructed me to basically lie, and call it a "$10 USB cable" so it doesn't get held at Customs...

I have to wait until they receive the defective dongle and test it, and only then will they send me a "new" one. I am going to push back on them to see if they can at least meet me in the middle and ship the new unit when I supply them the tracking number for the return.

I'll see how much the shipping is. At least they aren't trying to charge a re-stocking fee. I just want a working dongle, because I feel like it can be useful if it does work!

Sponsored

pcprice

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GC Limited
they actually sent me a link to their "policies" and it does mention any type of return shipping is on the buyer.

https://carplay2air.com/pages/shipping-and-returns

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
they actually sent me a link to their "policies" and it does mention any type of return shipping is on the buyer.

https://carplay2air.com/pages/shipping-and-returns
Right, but their policies don’t really matter. It is more about making the case to PayPal and/or your credit card company. I caa a my beliebe you (or anybody for that matter) are willing to even use them at this point. It is clearly hit or miss and not worth the headache IMO. If not having to plug in a single wire is worth jumping through hoops at least buy the device from the US seller. You may pay more but these horror stories seem to be increasing.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
...they instructed me to basically lie, and call it a "$10 USB cable" so it doesn't get held at Customs...
This is interesting. If I was forced to send it back, I would mark it for its actual value and let them pay the customs fees. From a PayPal and Credit Card dispute standpoint, you only need to be able to demonstrate that you returned the item. A tracking number should be sufficient, not them being willing to pay the customs fees.

BanditXXX

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon 2.0
installed mine last week - plug'n play. works without any problems - every single time i start the jeep. very nice and comfortable addition.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
So an update. My complaint about the CarPlay2air was that everytime I left it plugged into my Jeep, when I shut it down and started It back up again the dongle would freeze and was really buggy so I had to unplug and re plug it back in. But after renting two different Jeep Cherokees from the dealer while my Jeep was in the shop the carplay worked flawless in both cars. Leaving it plugged in was never a problem. So obviously the problem is my jeep, not the device.
Sponsored