Carplay2air??? Wireless carplay dongle

AnalogSanity

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I bought the same unit from Car2play.com... totally didn’t work. Just says connecting and then dies. Don’t buy this product... I left a negative review on their site, it never showed up. This is a total scam.
Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I’m dying for a wireless way to use Apple car play. Thanks for reviewing this product!

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
don’t buy. I bought one totally doesn’t work... trying to return it
It starting to work a lot better for my car. I realized now after more testing when I start the car touch NOTHING on the screen and CarPlay loads after about 20 seconds with no issues. This includes NOT touching the Accept button on the warning splash screen.

What car do you have? And what sound system?

And also are you using mode 3? Mode 1 and 2 for my vehicle simply do not work.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
What’s the point of something like this? Now, instead of a cable from your phone to the USB port you have a clumsy dongle. Either way you’re plugging in a wire, but with the dongle you lose audio quality, introduce battery drain, and experience instability. Nope, nope, and nope.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
What’s the point of something like this? Now, instead of a cable from your phone to the USB port you have a clumsy dongle. Either way you’re plugging in a wire, but with the dongle you lose audio quality, introduce battery drain, and experience instability. Nope, nope, and nope.
convenience and declutter.

You plug in the wire/dongle once. You can put it in usb 1 and I use a command strip to attach it to the Jeep which makes it look better than just hanging or you can hide it in the console usb 2.

I don’t lose audio quality, I have a wireless battery charger that keeps the phone charging https://getspiegel.com/products/the-spiegel-wireless-charger

and for instability once CarPlay is active I’ve had no issues with drops or anything else.

now I can’t speak for others that use this unit. It solves 95% of my issues and I’ll deal with the 5% annoyance than using the wire.

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
All, wanted to report back in more info on what I am learning.

I'm sensing different cars have something to do with the inconsistency of working, reading on the web, various people having different issues. Not sure what you have for a vehicle, I have a Wrangler.

The first time I did it, I had issues pairing, etc...after a car shut off fully, waited about 5 min to start the car again, and rebooted my phone, everything just started to work. I re-paired, and there was CarPlay working wirelessly. Over the course of the next few hours playing with it, I started digging into things I was doing to cause it to work inconsistently. The main thing I learned is, do NOT touch the screen or controls at all for the car. After the car turns on, just let it sit for a solid 20/45 seconds. Then, CarPlay will automatically appear.

I also learned Mode 1 and 2 do not work for me, so I have to use MODE 3 on the dongle.

I also learned, in my Wrangler, even putting the vehicle in reverse before CarPlay officially starts on it's own, starts, but the screen stays black and says "connecting..." at that point, I simply unplug the dingle, and replug it in, and CarPlay starts up in about 20 seconds or so. Reverse camera must on the screen must cause this weird behavior.

The key here for me at least is, let CarPlay fully load. Even though you may see the CarPlay icon on the screen, DO NOT click it, just wait, and let CarPlay open up by itself.

This dangle (Carplay2air) is working 100% of the time so long as I wait for it to autolaunch on its own.

The dongle version I have is 2019.11.11. keep in mind there are multiple wires CarPlay units on the web that claim to do this, I am using Carplay2air.

One last thing, I did contact the seller, he responded with this:

"Thank you for purchasing our CPLAY2air adapter! As you may already know, we are working tirelessly on our new update which will be a huge improvement from the last one. It took us a little longer than we expected, but we want to make sure that you will receive it when it is fully tested. To keep you excited here is what to expect from the new update:

• Improved connection speed
  • Improved music sound quality
  • Fixes an issue that could cause the adapter to disconnect
  • Fixes an issue that could cause track info and album artworks not appear on the screen
  • Better compatibility, it now also works with more systems, makes an models
  • All-new visual interface
  • Software translation in 12 languages

The new system will be released on 22-29th of November, so we are sure that you will be satisfied with its performance."

Again, this may vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I just want one because I have a brand new iPhone 11 Pro Max and I understand leaving it charging while it’s already at 100% weakens the battery in the long run. I love my Apple car play, this feature excited me most when I bought my Wrangle, strange to most people I’m sure. My two previous cars didn’t come with it so the technology package was a must for me since I am always on Apple Car play. Unless there is an option to plug in USB without charging that I’m not aware of I will need a wireless option. Thanks for the detailed updates!

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I just want one because I have a brand new iPhone 11 Pro Max and I understand leaving it charging while it’s already at 100% weakens the battery in the long run. I love my Apple car play, this feature excited me most when I bought my Wrangle, strange to most people I’m sure. My two previous cars didn’t come with it so the technology package was a must for me since I am always on Apple Car play. Unless there is an option to plug in USB without charging that I’m not aware of I will need a wireless option. Thanks for the detailed updates!
https://getspiegel.com/products/the-spiegel-wireless-charger

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Do you plug in your carplay2air in the usb port in the arm rest box? Does it still work...

Also do you download the new version release when it comes out in a week or so.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Do you plug in your carplay2air in the usb port in the arm rest box? Does it still work...

Also do you download the new version release when it comes out in a week or so.
Yes. I moved it to #2 in the arm console

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I moved it to #2 in the arm console
Trust it worked just as well? How do they do the update of firmware for your older unit... I saw on web site they offer new releases of software...

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Trust it worked just as well? How do they do the update of firmware for your older unit... I saw on web site they offer new releases of software...
Not sure yet. Apparently they just email you updated files. Mine has the latest version then a new one is coming next week or week after that apparently fixes a ton of stuff. We shall see. But right now my unit is working almost flawlessly.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Sounds a little sketchy at this point. Looking forward to hearing if the latest firmware helps.

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
To be honest the thing has now been 100% reliable now that I know when i start the vehicle not to touch the screen for 20 seconds and CarPlay opens every single time.

Sounds a little sketchy at this point. Looking forward to hearing if the latest firmware helps.
Sponsored