Sponsored

CarPlay not allowing access to contacts, or even the PHONE DIALER!!!

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Purchased a 19' rubicon, noticed the last couple of days, when I go over about 3/5 MPH, main CarPlay features become disabled, like the PHONE DIALER!!!! which means, in order to dial someone using CarPlay, I need to use Sir or my phone??? What gives? Why is JEEP limiting CarPlay functionality when apple designed CarPlay functionality to specifically work while the vehicle is in motion???
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
They don't want you playing with electronics when driving, functioning as designed. Safety first, right?
incorrect, CarPlay was designed with safety in mind. I have two other vehicles with CarPlay and the vehicle I got rid of also had CarPlay and never had this issue. In fact, my wife's Volvo XC90, one of , if not the safest car on the road, does not do this. CarPlay works perfectly with no restriction.

This has something to do with either Uconnect or Jeep

FERGOTTI

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2016 F150
Crapple what do u expect?

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Crapple what do u expect?
Not sure this is apple, as I mentioned up above, both my other vehicles work perfectly without restriction, this is 100% on Jeep or the UConnect system

FERGOTTI

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2016 F150
Not sure this is apple, as I mentioned up above, both my other vehicles work perfectly without restriction, this is 100% on Jeep or the UConnect system
I agree however apple doesnt play nice with others. I switched to android and android auto is much better . Plus it doesnt shrink the screen size. My wife has an iPhone and I haven't seen any of the issues you mentioned. Best of luck!

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. I find limits to what I can do in the Jeep / Carplay compared to our other vehicles. When looking at playlists and and such it only allows for something like 2 screens... then says to use voice (or some other lame thing). I get the ideology behind it but when you're going 2 mph in traffic I can probably afford a 1 second glance at the screen and not kill myself.

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Agreed. I find limits to what I can do in the Jeep / Carplay compared to our other vehicles. When looking at playlists and and such it only allows for something like 2 screens... then says to use voice (or some other lame thing). I get the ideology behind it but when you're going 2 mph in traffic I can probably afford a 1 second glance at the screen and not kill myself.
So...is this a jeep thing?? And has anyone found a way around this? absolutely 100% crap...as an example, when I place a phone call, it is now even more UNSAFE, that I need to grab my phone and look at my phone and press dial keys (say on the phone with customer service) than it is pressing the GIANT buttons apple built right on the dash...this makes absolutely 100% no sense

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So...is this a jeep thing?? And has anyone found a way around this? absolutely 100% crap...as an example, when I place a phone call, it is now even more UNSAFE, that I need to grab my phone and look at my phone and press dial keys (say on the phone with customer service) than it is pressing the GIANT buttons apple built right on the dash...this makes absolutely 100% no sense
I don't have that problem. I just press the talk button for Siri and tell her who I want to call. Unless I'm calling a number not in my contacts in which case I should be stopped to be hand dialing anyway.

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I don't have that problem. I just press the talk button for Siri and tell her who I want to call. Unless I'm calling a number not in my contacts in which case I should be stopped to be hand dialing anyway.
I think the people defending this are missing the argument, apple specifically built CarPlay to be safe in the car, which means, everything works with no restrictions. Otherwise, it was pointless to make it.

I just tested on another car and no restriction. So, I am confirming, this is 100% on Jeep or Uconnect. This has zero to do with safety as I've mentioned, even Apple (and android auto) market their product by doing exactly what I am calling out. Giant buttons and visuals such to not distract the drive.

The second argument is, using Bluetooth in the Jeep Uconnect system DOES NOT disable anything while driving. Which now makes even worse sense. This appears to only be happening for CarPlay

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
So you're saying Apple made specific changes to their software because FCA asked them to? I highly doubt that. Android, maybe. Apple? No.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
So you're saying Apple made specific changes to their software because FCA asked them to? I highly doubt that. Android, maybe. Apple? No.
nope, I'm saying, jeep somehow, or uconnect, is restricting the use of those screens using a "speed limit" trick on the vehicle. I literally can only find like 5 articles on this on google, dating back to 2016. This is not wide spread.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the people defending this are missing the argument, apple specifically built CarPlay to be safe in the car, which means, everything works with no restrictions. Otherwise, it was pointless to make it.
The way I see it FCA is free to make whatever design choices they want... it's their asses on the line. I know my Jeep does all sorts of weird things other cars don't (especially if you get out of the drivers seat while in gear) due in large part due to accidents and lawsuits. Does my 7" screen on car play cut down the screen size? Sure... but I can work with it. Does it limit what I can do while driving? Yep... again... I learn to live with it. I don't think any of this will get them to change something they consider a safety feature. While some of it doesn't make sense... it's not anything I'd choose to kick against the goads over.

Go N 4LO

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ
Holy hell talk about a bunch of dim responses. You pay 55k for a vehicle expect to have all features work. To OP mine did this today as I was driving to Colorado, I pulled fuse 19 and I forget the other one wait 90 seconds plug it back in. It really sucked driving with no tunes (the radio didn’t even work.) Hopefully this helps.

OP
OP
Mikejd1

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Holy hell talk about a bunch of dim responses. You pay 55k for a vehicle expect to have all features work. To OP mine did this today as I was driving to Colorado, I pulled fuse 19 and I forget the other one wait 90 seconds plug it back in. It really sucked driving with no tunes (the radio didn’t even work.) Hopefully this helps.
Thank you. So are you saying pulling that fuse and putting it back in fixes this?
Sponsored