CarPlay - did FCA give up?

Chaosmtb

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ 00 XJ 19 jlur
buddy just came home with a 2021 mohave yesterday... his #2 PORT kicks him off after a few mins, random, my 2019 has been ''flawless'' WHY??? sure on really long road trips sometimes #2 gets kicked off, but 0 power, no charging and the light that illuminates the port goes out, i took it as a relay (diode) getting hot charging the iphone for 5+6 hours strait on a road trip, it starts working again a few days later.{magic} i run a micro 128 usb on the dash and the cover almost closes, but id be annoyed to run a cable there and probably take a punch and knock it into the dash and run an extension cable to the consol haha. only thing that im not a fan of w the uconnect is the gimmik long and lat in the off road pages. its always dashes --- -- ---- for a app they hyped up to make it have missing info thats clearly visible in the gps info is baffling, i still like ORP becasue it puts all my temps and guages up on the display, i can monitor the tranny if im towing or driving up steep elevations on my long road trips... it be nice if jeep has a tsb after looking into all the glitchy #2 ports. he hasnt tried a fresh cable its day 2 and the cable looks new... but im thinking the wiring harness or software is not stable enough to be reliable.
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
buddy just came home with a 2021 mohave yesterday... his #2 PORT kicks him off after a few mins, random, my 2019 has been ''flawless'' WHY???
I have a new CarlinkIt wireless CarPlay adapter. It does the same thing in the center console port, runs for 2-5 minutes, reboots, runs for 2-5 minutes, reboots, etc. However, my iPhone plugged directly in that same port worked fine for 7 months, maybe the battery in the phone covers up any weird power glitches?

The Carlinkit works fine from the front plugs, both A and C (I've tried them all). I've tried multiple cables for the Carlinkit in the center console and the pattern is the same. 2-5 minutes, reboot, repeat over and over.

So while I'd much rather have the Carlinkit in the center console, the convenience of it is worth keeping it plugged in up front for now.

mla575

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4xe, 16 Toyota Sienna, 06 Gallardo SE
Occupation
Self Employed
How come? Doesn't work because of a change in Design or because it fails? By Design it works with carplay.
That is a good question. Per jeepcares (in the 4xe section) , it should work so that would leave that it is failing because of design ?🤷‍♂️

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I love the technical info!

Any info on the rear USB-C support?
I believe the rear USB-C port is a charge-only port, but this is dependent on the model that you have. You can find more information on this in your Owner's Manual that can be found on https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/vehicle-information.html?redirect=om. If you'd like me to specifically look into your vehicle's specs for you, just send us a DM with your VIN!

no its not. You can use carplay with it.
Correct. Midway 2020 models and above should have the ability to use CarPlay/AA.

If anyone has a vehicle model that is a mid 2020 build or higher and is experiencing concerns with their USB port functionalities, please do not hesitate to send us a private message so I can look into this further for you and provide some clarification!

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I have a new CarlinkIt wireless CarPlay adapter. It does the same thing in the center console port, runs for 2-5 minutes, reboots, runs for 2-5 minutes, reboots, etc. However, my iPhone plugged directly in that same port worked fine for 7 months, maybe the battery in the phone covers up any weird power glitches?

The Carlinkit works fine from the front plugs, both A and C (I've tried them all). I've tried multiple cables for the Carlinkit in the center console and the pattern is the same. 2-5 minutes, reboot, repeat over and over.

So while I'd much rather have the Carlinkit in the center console, the convenience of it is worth keeping it plugged in up front for now.
Is it possible it could be a heat issue being in the console? I'm getting an AA versions and was wondering if it might get hot in the console.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Is it possible it could be a heat issue being in the console? I'm getting an AA versions and was wondering if it might get hot in the console.
No, it did it when it was in the 40s here in the center console. It's very reproducible in the center console, within 2-5 minutes of starting up it will reboot, and then anywhere from 2-7 minutes maybe it will reboot again, over and over.

Up front it has never rebooted. I keep reading about a rear USB-C, I've never looked in the rear seat area. If there's a C back there maybe I'll try that too and see if maybe the power delivery is better, I have both USB-A and USB-C cables to try.

It is fine up front, but I am OCD and would prefer that media door not be hanging half open if I can plug it in elsewhere :)

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Same here, it also gets tight with the shifter.

USB C in the back is charging only. Although the manual seems to indicate all these priority type scenarios about all the ports.

My AA works okay in the console. I haven't been using it as much to know for sure since I don't like the way it gets cropped on the 8.4 inch screen.

I get the AA WiFi adapter in June. It's crowd funded developed, so I have to wait for my batch to ship. The nice part of it being crowd funded is the firmware and fixes seem to come fast. I'll report back on how that works.

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
I get the AA WiFi adapter in June. It's crowd funded developed, so I have to wait for my batch to ship. The nice part of it being crowd funded is the firmware and fixes seem to come fast. I'll report back on how that works.
Mind sharing which project? Didn't find anything similar on kickstarter.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Mind sharing which project? Didn't find anything similar on kickstarter.
It's on indiegogo.com and called AAWireless. I tried linking to it but got blocked. I guess we can't hyperlink.

My shipments is delayed until August.

I'm also trying out an app called ODB2AA that allows for the Android Auto DPI to be changed, removes the tap limitation, and can display PIDs from ODB2. The DPI change alone is amazing. I think there is a developer relation between that app and the AAWireless device they are making.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The nice thing about it being crowd funded is the developer seems very responsive to issues and providing firmware updates for head unit issues. Which makes me feel better than getting something off Amazon.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
The nice thing about it being crowd funded is the developer seems very responsive to issues and providing firmware updates for head unit issues. Which makes me feel better than getting something off Amazon.
A lot of crowd funded projects take forever to come on the market though! I have been waiting on some wi-fi enabled window blinds for going on 2 years now!

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
A lot of crowd funded projects take forever to come on the market though! I have been waiting on some wi-fi enabled window blinds for going on 2 years now!
They are shipping at least. Seems customs and getting parts are the factor. I'm excited to try it out.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
They are shipping at least. Seems customs and getting parts are the factor. I'm excited to try it out.
Even though it can be a bit flaky once in a while, having wireless CarPlay is a godsend. No more dicking around with the cable every time I get in the car, or forgetting the phone when I leave. Just toss phone in the console or on the seat, or leave it in my coat pocket when it's colder and it just works.

If I were on a longish trip I'd plug it in anyway because it does suck battery using it, but for my commute to work that's only 15 minutes each way it's a non-issue.
Sponsored