michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Hi Jason,

Absolutely! Apple requested that Apple CarPlay capabilities were removed from the second row USB ports (3). Our teams took this into consideration and made a design modification to the vehicle that essentially re-routed the armrest USB port (2) directly to the I/P media hub. This results in the armrest USB to support Apple CarPlay/Android Auto features again. As stated before, this modification was made midway 2020. Therefore, some 2020 models will support Apple CarPlay from the armrest USB (2), while other models may not. Future Apple software updates should not have a negative impact on this. I hope this provides some clarification!

@Tellurian -- that's a great point! If you don't mind, I'd like to formally file your suggestion as feedback to our teams so that it can be considered for future development. If you're interested in providing a little bit more information for me, please follow up via private messages.

If anyone has questions specific to their vehicle, please do not hesitate to send us a private message!

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
I love the technical info!

Any info on the rear USB-C support?
Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
It sounds like a change in wiring was made 2020.5. If so, there may be an oem wiring upgrade that could be done.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It sounds like a change in wiring was made 2020.5. If so, there may be an oem wiring upgrade that could be done.
Works on my early build 2021 anyway (9/21). I would think a wiring change would be all you'd need to get data on that port again instead of just charging on the earlier models, but WTF do I know?

Sponsored

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Not trying to discount your frustration but as @XJfanatic mentioned, I’ve never really seen any vehicle have a 100% reliable infotainment system. Mine does funny stuff sometimes but I’ve learned to live with it.

At least they tried harder than Hyundai back in 2011 who refused to make a lightning cable for the car I bought that integrated with the audio system. I got to enjoy seamless iPhone integration for about 3 months before I was relegated to Bluetooth for the next NINE years while they never bothered to offer a cable to the 99.9999% of us who moved up past iPhone 4.
My wife has a 2020 Yukon, and CarPlay works flawlessly in her car. I have a wireless CarPlay radio (aftermarket) in another car, and it too works without any problems at all. On my Jeep, it is a nightmare, constant reboots, random songs start playing, and god help you if you have a second iPhone plugged into another USB port to charge - then all you get is pandemonium!!!!

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Appreciate the input. I've seen several posts here and on the Gladiator forum. Are you all using the USB connection in the center console or the one on the dash?
I've tried and tired with Android Auto. I cannot get it to stay connected via USB for more than a couple of minutes. If you go to the dealer, they'll tell you to use your Samsung OEM USB cable. Which of course fell apart 6 months after buying the phone. Then if you tell them you are using an OEM cable, they'll tell you to upgrade your phone. It's a total run around.

Android auto was one of the main decision makers for me. And to-date it doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
For what it’s worth, I’m using a CarPlay2Air in my 2021, it’s plugged in hidden away in the the center console USB outlet and it works flawlessly. Wireless CarPlay is awesome!

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Mine works only on the dash, not center console (for longer than 5mins before it kicks it out). Dash works 95% of the time.
I found it to be unreliable compared to other cars and just put up with it (2021 model)

Sponsored

Lolo5000

First Name
Lowell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Moab Edition, Jeep Compass
For what it’s wort, I bought one of those dongles that lets you have wireless CarPlay. I think it was called car2play but there are many that do the same thing. Anyway, I plugged that thing into the center console/arm rest USB inside the little box about a year and a half ago and it works really well. Also, with a recent software update it connects much faster to my phone. No wires to deal with and no issues.

CaptainTyler

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I have an IPhone X and I connect to the port in the console, I have almost no problems with the uconnect. Sometimes getting to the Spotify now playing screen won’t work but as soon as I select what I want on the phone works fine.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
My center console in my 2018 works fine for CarPlay, so I don't see how it could be a wiring issue...

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I have a 2018 Rubicon. Never experienced the issue you are referring too. CarPlay flawlessly
Sponsored