CarPlay - did FCA give up?

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
For the ones who have 2021 models and say there center console port works with Apple CarPlay, are you all letting it play for at least 30 minutes? Cause for some, it cuts off/freezes after around 20 minutes.
Sponsored

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Haven’t taken delivery of my JLUR yet but I have CarPlay in my current Hyundai. It’s good about 95% of the time. Sometimes it doesnt connect, sometimes it has digital noise, it’s pretty reliable. Seems similar to what I’m reading.
my edge with the my touch sucks… no CarPlay but the usb in the console always cuts out even charging sucks.

it seems like something that’s just gonna suck until they full integrate data reception and we can have Apple Music or Spotify built into the head units

albbreinholt

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
2018 here. I have 2 issues that I regularly (once a week or so) experience with CarPlay.
1. CarPlay launches with dots that say it is loading. It never loads when this happens. If I unplug the phone and plug it back in it always loads fine the second time.
2. CarPlay doesn't launch. Unplugging and plugging back in does nothing. If I wait 5 minutes with the phone plugged in the head unit reboots and CarPlay launches like normal.
These two behaviors occur on both dash and console USB ports with apple cables. Never had it stop after 20 min.

Brandonjjon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE (Granite)
Use the lightning port in the dash. Has way more throughput and I’ve never had a disconnect since.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Apple has had a bad rep of doing stuff like this. Phasing stuff out. Kind of sucks they're phasing out cars.

From an Apple standpoint, my friend needed her MAC repaired. Apple refused to fix it and BestBuy fixed it for free temporarily. While she gathered her data. BestBuy employee also admitted that once Apple drops support for something. It is completely phased out and onto the next sale.

It's really what's kept me from Apple / some Microsoft products.

I've noticed Android does "in addition to" updates. So from a certain point onward. But it won't drop support unless it's a hardware limitation. If they switch from USB A to C or wireless. Etc...

Android Auto had a rough start. But I think from the last year. I've received updates and been much better. My phone is running on the two year old mark. So I think mine will soon be phased out from updates.

One Plus 7 Pro Owner.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I'm not familiar with any widespread issues with Uconnect and CarPlay, and luckily have not experienced any issues in either of our Jeeps.

One thing to consider was when was last time you cleaned out the charging port of your iPhone? Not saying this will solve it but quite often, phones in pockets/purses build up lint and that lint can prohibit a strong connecting point. I try to clean out the lightning port a few times a year by sticking a toothpick in it and pulling out any debris that caught in it.

In fact, I'll go do that now that I'm thinking about it...
My wife can hook her iPhone 12 up to the same cable and her phone buzzes as Car Play connects and loses connection. I use the exact same cable in the same USB2 port and it works without fail. I think it is on the iPhone end. Have you tried the same cable in different ports and a different cable in the USB2 port?

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Apple has had a bad rep of doing stuff like this. Phasing stuff out. Kind of sucks they're phasing out cars.

From an Apple standpoint, my friend needed her MAC repaired. Apple refused to fix it and BestBuy fixed it for free temporarily. While she gathered her data. BestBuy employee also admitted that once Apple drops support for something. It is completely phased out and onto the next sale.

It's really what's kept me from Apple / some Microsoft products.
Also sucks for people like myself/family who are so heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem (& Amazon/Alexa to a point). But Apple has a good "success" rate with us we don't complain too much.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Also sucks for people like myself/family who are so heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem (& Amazon/Alexa to a point). But Apple has a good "success" rate with us we don't complain too much.
Yeah, they have good rep while they support their product. While it is still sold in stores. Soon after, is when you start having issues. I like their "In Store" support. They can fix things from hardware to software. It can be great if you stay up to date with it.

I give myself a 2 year timeline on this kind of stuff. Technology advances super quick. I have smart lights, speakers, etc. At home. It is starting to slowly become obsolete very quickly with the new stuff coming out. Apple doesn't screw around when they want you to move on from that old stuff. lol

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
For the ones who have 2021 models and say there center console port works with Apple CarPlay, are you all letting it play for at least 30 minutes? Cause for some, it cuts off/freezes after around 20 minutes.
I got mine in January and haven’t had any issues far. Traffic has me sitting in the jeep with car play for over an hour most days.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Not sure what you meant by this, but I doubt Apple is phasing out cars. In fact, they are investing heavily in cars and are rumored to be entering the auto market in the next five years. Project Titan, an on-again-off-again car side project for many years, is back on. Apple's goal is to have as many value-creating users spend as much time as possible using iOS. If iOS can power a good user experience in a car, a user will spend an extra 1-2 hrs a day on commutes, and even longer on road trips, in the iOS ecosystem - and not Google's or an OEM's. More hours spent on iOS further entrenches a user in the Apple ecosystem and makes them more likely to buy macs, ipads, watches, airpods, airtags, etc. Eventually, ApplePay could be used for tolls, as it already works on subways and busses. They may even sell you the car itself one day. With respect to phasing stuff out, it is hardware that eventually gets categorized as "vintage" and "obsolete" and loses support after 3-7 years, depending on what it is, but this is industrywide and is generally part of the innovation process. Besides, CarPlay is really just a projection of your phone onto a second screen...its not cutting edge tech...it is the non-Apple hardware/software where the problems generally reside.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Courtney,

Can I get clarification on this? I have a 2021 and my center console works perfectly. Are you stating that the next time I get an update that will go away?
How do you get that from their post? She said mid production they changed the console port to accept CarPlay data. You're good.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Not sure what you meant by this, but I doubt Apple is phasng out cars. In fact, they are investing heavily in cars and are rumored to be entering the auto market in the next five years. Project Titan, which has been an on-again-off-again car side project for many years, is back on. Apple's goal is to have as many value-creating users spend as much time as possible using iOS. If iOS can power a good user experience in your car, you will spend an extra 1-2 hrs a day on commutes, and even longer on road trips, in the iOS ecosystem, and not Google's or an OEM's. More hours spent on iOS further entrenches a user in the Apple ecosystem and makest them more likely to buy a mac, ipad, watch, airpod, airtag, etc. Eventually, they may take over mobile tolling via Apple Pay and even sell you the car itself. With respect to phasing stuff out, its hardware that eventually gets categorized as "vintage" and "obsolete" and loses support, but this is industrywide and is generally part of the innovation process. Beside, CarPlay is really just a projection of your phone onto a second screen...its not cutting edge tech...its the non-Apple hardware where the problems generally reside.
Apple is known to drop support for anything Non Apple. It wouldn't surprise me if they went completely proprietary on their car only works with an iPhone and drops support for carplay altogether for others. Time will tell.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Apple is known to drop support for anything Non Apple. It wouldn't surprise me if they went completely proprietary on their car only works with an iPhone and drops support for carplay altogether for others. Time will tell.
Think CarPlay:Cars just as Apple TV:TVs. There is no benefit to Apple from conceding a huge opportunity to Google. In fact, it increases the use cases for Music, Maps, and Messages.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Think CarPlay:Cars just as Apple TV:TVs. There is no benefit to Apple from conceding a huge opportunity to Google. In fact, it increases the use cases for Music, Maps, and Messages.
I don't disagree, but I don't think any of us are interested in buying iCars. I would be very surprised. Most Jeep owners like the freedom to do what we want.

I still don't think it's an issue with the Jeeps. I think it's a software issue with iPhones and UConnect. If Apple doesn't want to support UConnect. There's really nothing Jeep can do until Apple does something about it. Jeep cares mentioned to let Apple know because it's a mirroring issue.

But it's just my opinion.

OP
OP

____nick____

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hello everyone,

We came across this thread and I wanted to assure you that your concerns are heard. Due to a specification from Apple, CarPlay is no longer able to be used from the center console or rear USB ports. This change was made from software application level IR22.5 and is applied to any higher software levels.

For the JL/JT vehicle lines, a modification was made to allow the center console USB port to use CarPlay, beginning midway through the 2020 model year. Some 2020 owners may be able to use the middle console port (2), while others may not. Although we do not have control over this configuration, you are more than welcome to submit feedback on Apple's website.

If you have any questions or concern, please feel free to follow-up privately.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Mine is a 2021 mode
I don't disagree, but I don't think any of us are interested in buying iCars. I would be very surprised. Most Jeep owners like the freedom to do what we want.

I still don't think it's an issue with the Jeeps. I think it's a software issue with iPhones and UConnect. If Apple doesn't want to support UConnect. There's really nothing Jeep can do until Apple does something about it. Jeep cares mentioned to let Apple know because it's a mirroring issue.

But it's just my opinion.
I’m sure the CarPlay API requirements are quite clear. Apple can’t support each OEM differently - it’s up to the manufacturers to build their systems in accordance with the specs provided or simply don’t claim it as a feature. The issue also seems to be port specific, which indicates a hardware issue.
Sponsored