CarPlay - did FCA give up?

____nick____

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just got my new JL and the USB2 port is really souring the experience. I'm getting constant CarPlay interruptions/disconnects. It's not the cable, phone software, head unit firmware, fuse connection or any of the other recommendations I've come across. From the best I can tell, this issue dates back to 2018 and I haven't seen @JeepCares provide any sort of helpful input on the matter. Did anyone ever figure this out? Has anyone attempted to lemon law their car over this? Only sort of joking about the last one - if Jeep wanted this fixed then it'd be fixed by now.
Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Honestly from all the rentals I use and vehicles I have owned the only infotainment that has consistently worked correctly has been the Ford sync3

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not familiar with any widespread issues with Uconnect and CarPlay, and luckily have not experienced any issues in either of our Jeeps.

One thing to consider was when was last time you cleaned out the charging port of your iPhone? Not saying this will solve it but quite often, phones in pockets/purses build up lint and that lint can prohibit a strong connecting point. I try to clean out the lightning port a few times a year by sticking a toothpick in it and pulling out any debris that caught in it.

In fact, I'll go do that now that I'm thinking about it...

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Not trying to discount your frustration but as @XJfanatic mentioned, I’ve never really seen any vehicle have a 100% reliable infotainment system. Mine does funny stuff sometimes but I’ve learned to live with it.

At least they tried harder than Hyundai back in 2011 who refused to make a lightning cable for the car I bought that integrated with the audio system. I got to enjoy seamless iPhone integration for about 3 months before I was relegated to Bluetooth for the next NINE years while they never bothered to offer a cable to the 99.9999% of us who moved up past iPhone 4.

OP
OP

____nick____

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Appreciate the input. I've seen several posts here and on the Gladiator forum. Are you all using the USB connection in the center console or the one on the dash?

Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
To say that FCA gave up is to suggest that they actually tried.

The one in the console is just a charging port.
I always run CarPlay from the console.
And it works consistently.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I run a 10' cable from the center console to my CMM mount on the driver side grab handle. Cut a small hole through the bottom of the console and ran the cable underneath the console to the dashboard and then over to the side and up from there. You can't see the cable at all and I have had zero connectivity problems for the 6 months I have had the Jeep.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have a flash drive in the center console, and use the dash port for android auto/carplay with the wife's phone. No issues yet.

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dash is my primary but I use both for longer trips - console for an iPad and dash for the phone. That said, I have it set up so only my phone activates CarPlay.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
To say that FCA gave up is to suggest that they actually tried.

The one in the console is just a charging port.
Not on mine. I have been using Wired CarPlay from the center console USB port since I've had my 2021 anyway. Never had any issues with it at all.

That being said, I am trying a wireless CarPlay adapter and it seems to reboot fairly often if plugged into the center console, but works better on the dash USB port. Not sure if I've had it long enough to really say that's the case, but it seems a lot more reliable using the dashboard USB port.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I had issues with Android Auto on my 2019 VW Jetta. It was actually the software on the phone. Not the system. It fixed itself with an update on my phone and using a quality cable to handle the transfer speeds.

Basically, all it does is mirror your phone. If you're phone is outdated or you have a crappy phone. It will boot out and freeze. A lot of people have this issue with low end Android Phones.

I think it is probably related to the iPhone / Phone itself.
Sponsored