donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Even though it can be a bit flaky once in a while, having wireless CarPlay is a godsend. No more dicking around with the cable every time I get in the car, or forgetting the phone when I leave. Just toss phone in the console or on the seat, or leave it in my coat pocket when it's colder and it just works.

If I were on a longish trip I'd plug it in anyway because it does suck battery using it, but for my commute to work that's only 15 minutes each way it's a non-issue.
I got my 2021 JLUR a couple weeks ago. I normally keep my iPhone in the keyfob slot so it is oriented vertically, and plugged into the USB2 port on the dash.

I'm on a 30 day vacation, grabbing BOH badges, and along the way I tested plugging into the center console port. Works fine, never a problem.
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I got my 2021 JLUR a couple weeks ago. I normally keep my iPhone in the keyfob slot so it is oriented vertically, and plugged into the USB2 port on the dash.

I'm on a 30 day vacation, grabbing BOH badges, and along the way I tested plugging into the center console port. Works fine, never a problem.
Yeah mine works fine in center console port too, as long as it's connected to the iPhone. If I try the wireless CarPlay USB adapter in center console, it reboots too frequently to be useful.

If there's power glitches I suspect the battery in the iPhone covers that up, whereas the CarPlay adapter has no power backup so it just reboots instead.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah mine works fine in center console port too, as long as it's connected to the iPhone. If I try the wireless CarPlay USB adapter in center console, it reboots too frequently to be useful.

If there's power glitches I suspect the battery in the iPhone covers that up, whereas the CarPlay adapter has no power backup so it just reboots instead.
I wouldnā€™t trust unapproved (by Apple) wireless CarPlay adapters. There is no obligation from Apple for it to work.

rogerutley

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™m using a CarPlay2Air in my 2021, itā€™s plugged in hidden away in the the center console USB outlet and it works flawlessly. Wireless CarPlay is awesome!
THANKSā€¦THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED, I DID NOT KNOW THERE WAS SUCH A THING! ANY TIPS BEFORE I BUY AND INSTALL? ROGER

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I wouldnā€™t trust unapproved (by Apple) wireless CarPlay adapters. There is no obligation from Apple for it to work.
The wireless CarPlay adapter works 100% fine in the front panel USB port. This isn't a third party hardware issue or Carplay issue, it's an issue with the center console USB port.

Sponsored

JMGT25

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Ever since I got my iphone 13 pro, the center console USB has been giving me problems with Carplay. The odd thing is that the phone continues to charge, but Carplay won't engage.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
The absolute only thing that is wrong with my 4xe is the Android Auto connection. It's hit or miss (more miss). I just kind of given up on it and use Bluetooth.

Reactions: gek

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
The absolute only thing that is wrong with my 4xe is the Android Auto connection. It's hit or miss (more miss). I just kind of given up on it and use Bluetooth.
What connection are you talking about? Center console or dashboard?

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
The front console, under the little flip door.
I believe it is your cable.

I plug my Android phone into my desktop to copy and paste photos back and forth. One cable works fine and 3 cables are not recognised.

In my Jeep, the good cable works fine, the bad cables do not work.

I don't know the technical differences between the cables.

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a 2021 JLUR with about 7k miles and CarPlay has only failed twice. One ā€˜falseā€™ fail was when Amazon music didnā€™t work - I later found out our subscription didnā€™t allow two streams at once.

The first true time was yesterday after picking up my Jeep after some work was done. I forgot I had placed my ā€œgoodā€ iPhone USB cord in the passenger console, tried to use two older cords that didnā€™t work. Got home, remembered the good cordā€™s location and it worked.

Once my Jeep sat in the garage for a week, turned it on and all of the speakers were distorted, across all inputs.

Next day I hopped in to take it to the dealership and everything worked. Not a CarPlay issue per se, but it did really irk me for a car with < 6k miles on it.

Use the last known working cable in USB port 1 in the dash, run an update on your iPhone, delete the phone from your Uconnect, then restart the Jeep and reconnect your phone.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
2020 JLUR 8" screen, carplay has worked pretty consistently for me.

However my Uconnect freezes and reboots intermittently so I guess there's no free lunch.

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
For those of you without issues, which iPhone are you using?

I just picked up a 2021. weā€™re using a 12 pro max and an 11 and CarPlay fails constantly with both of them in either port. I can maybe get 5mins, 10 if Iā€™m lucky before it locks. If I unplug the phone, wait a moment and then plug again all is well ā€¦ for another 5mins or so

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
For those of you without issues, which iPhone are you using?

I just picked up a 2021. weā€™re using a 12 pro max and an 11 and CarPlay fails constantly with both of them in either port. I can maybe get 5mins, 10 if Iā€™m lucky before it locks. If I unplug the phone, wait a moment and then plug again all is well ā€¦ for another 5mins or so
Center console or dashboard?
Sponsored