CarPlay - did FCA give up?

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
So based on the comments, the center console USB works (for CarPlay) for some but not others?
Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Good thought - the complexity of connecting that USB is simply outstripping my mental capacity.
I don't think Kurt0 was saying people can't figure out how to plug in a USB into a socket. Lightning cables have semiconductors in the lightning connector end that among other things "validate" the iPhone connecting to it. If the chips in the lightning connector can't validate the phone (often a problem with cheap knockoffs and grey market counterfeits, and sometimes with older authentic cords) the cord may still deliver an electric current but not deliver Apple functionality, including CarPlay, which can be frustrating. I interpreted the "user error" comment as some users not being fully aware of the complexity inside the cord, as many view them as nothing more than a "dumb" extension cord.

Last edited:

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I don't think Kurt0 was saying people can't figure out how to plug in a USB. But an Apple lightning cable has a semi chip in the lightning connector that among other things "validates" the iPhone connecting to it. If the chip in the lightning end can't validate the phone (a problem with cheap knockoffs and grey market counterfeits) the cord may still charge but produce Apple functionality issues, including CarPlay.
I used an "official" Apple cable (the expensive ones) in the center console and my CarPlay still cuts off after 20 minutes. And the wireless CarPlay adapter doesn't work in it either.

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have another weird issue I don't think has been mentioned. My CarPlay works fine when I have my Apple USB cable plugged into the dash port (above the USB-C port). Works great since I got the Jeep in January- however, when someone else plugs their iPhone into the center console port to simply charge their phone, my iPhone stops communicating with CarPlay. I get a message on the Jeep screen that states another phone is in the mix and asks me if I want to use that phone for connectivity- I always press no (can't remember the exact wording), but the message goes away for a couple of seconds, then reappears. Still all the while my phone being knocked out of the connectivity. This cycle never ends and only when the center console port is disconnected do I get my dash connection back. Any suggestions?

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I used an "official" Apple cable (the expensive ones) in the center console and my CarPlay still cuts off after 20 minutes. And the wireless CarPlay adapter doesn't work in it either.
I can't speak to the wireless adapter, but my guess would be its not an Apple MFI Certified product. Is it? Here is how to check: https://mfi.apple.com/account/authorized-manufacturers

Also, how old/used is the Apple cable?

Sponsored

OP
OP

____nick____

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have another weird issue I don't think has been mentioned. My CarPlay works fine when I have my Apple USB cable plugged into the dash port (above the USB-C port). Works great since I got the Jeep in January- however, when someone else plugs their iPhone into the center console port to simply charge their phone, my iPhone stops communicating with CarPlay. I get a message on the Jeep screen that states another phone is in the mix and asks me if I want to use that phone for connectivity- I always press no (can't remember the exact wording), but the message goes away for a couple of seconds, then reappears. Still all the while my phone being knocked out of the connectivity. This cycle never ends and only when the center console port is disconnected do I get my dash connection back. Any suggestions?
If you go into the settings on uConnect and set your phone as a favorite, I believe it will solve this issue.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
In addition to prior post, PortaPow 3rd Gen USB Data Blocker. https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-3rd-Gen-Data-Blocker/dp/B00QRRZ2QM. (If you are a PortaPow employee, well done ;)).

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
Using CarPlay with an iPhone 8 and an Apple cable plugged into the center console. Playing music from the phone there is occasionally an interruption / static in the playback; a song is playing, and there is a static type of sound that interrupts for a few seconds. The phone is in the console untouched and plays OK for 10 minutes, then static occurs...that's not a hardware issue or operator error, because if it were it would be persistent. There's some software issue or resource contention.

Now I use CarPlay just for the navigation, and play music from a USB drive plugged into the dash. CarPlay doesn't allow scrolling through the music list while in motion anyway, so the USB approach works better for me.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I can't speak to the wireless adapter, but my guess would be its not an Apple MFI Certified product. Is it? Here is how to check: https://mfi.apple.com/account/authorized-manufacturers

Also, how old/used is the Apple cable?
Cable(s) are no older than 2 years. And even if the adapter isn't on the list, why does it work flawlessly in the dash port but not the console port? That tells me there is something going on with connection in that port. Is there a "confirmation" from Jeep that the console port is ONLY for charging?

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
No issues with my '21. I use an Apple cable and plug into USB in the dash and my iPhone 11 works fine with CarPlay. My wife occasionally plugs her iPhone 12 into the same scenario when we are driving while using Google Maps through CarPlay and no issues either.

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Cable(s) are no older than 2 years.
You're probably due for a new one tbh. Vinyl sheathed ones generally are good for a year before they start wearing down - maybe a little longer if you baby it, which most people don't do. I opt for the braided ones, which tend to last longer. I always keep the newest one in my jeep since these are most resilient to iOS updates. Once they start showing functionality issues, I move them to the house and use them as charging cables on the bedside table, office and other random places.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
No issues with my '21. I use an Apple cable and plug into USB in the dash and my iPhone 11 works fine with CarPlay. My wife occasionally plugs her iPhone 12 into the same scenario when we are driving while using Google Maps through CarPlay and no issues either.
Have you had any issues using the console port?

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
Appreciate the input. I've seen several posts here and on the Gladiator forum. Are you all using the USB connection in the center console or the one on the dash?
i play songs from my iPhone over bluetooth, and it works perfectly.

i do not use a tether cable to try and link my phone. only to charge it.

***make sure you test your lightning connector with a toothpick. lint gets in there and you cannot see it even with a high power flashlight. only the toothpick test will find it. another symptom of the lint is charging becomes hit/miss.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Brand new JL here with only 700 miles. My center console USB never has worked for CarPlay. It cuts off after about 20 minutes. One on the dash works flawlessly.
I’ve had 2 JLUs. A 2018 and a 2021. Had a few issues early on with the 2018 and got a patch. But otherwise both have worked consistently.
Sponsored