Sponsored

Carolina metal masters ball mount knockoff/copy???

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
Does anyone make a threaded ball mount for the grab bar other than carolinametalmasters??
Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
Yeah, I couldn't bring myself to spend $35 plus whatever they charge for shipping for one.

I just received one of these from Amazon today. I'm going to see if I can adapt it to the grab bar screw. The screw it comes with is only m5(ish) while the screw in the grab bar is a weird alternating-diameter m7(ish) course thread screw. This RAM ball I received might need to be drilled out a little.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RHVS8I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
Sprint7

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
I bought one from @carolinametalmasters ($40) and when i got it the threads were not machined correctly. I have called 10x’s over a week at various times of the day and they have never picked up the phone. Throw in 5 unanswered email and i was done. Its a shame too because it was my first order from them and i see a lot of stuff on there site that i would like but you would have a better response calling the county to get a streetlight fixed then any type of response from them.

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have their A-pillar mounts on both sides as well as the grab handle mounts, all in 20mm paired with 67 designs arms. Yeah, it was all staggeringly expensive vs. function, but the design and quality of implementation is flawless. Once I saw the parts and how they were made, I understood and accepted the price. The parts from CMM shipped promptly. I can't speak to their service, since I haven't had to work with it. I also can't envision how there would be a machining problem, but hey, bad things do happen.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I bought one from @carolinametalmasters ($40) and when i got it the threads were not machined correctly. I have called 10x’s over a week at various times of the day and they have never picked up the phone. Throw in 5 unanswered email and i was done. Its a shame too because it was my first order from them and i see a lot of stuff on there site that i would like but you would have a better response calling the county to get a streetlight fixed then any type of response from them.
@Sprint7

You are a rare rare bird lets say.

CMM has a terrific reputation... Known for top notch products and they are good communicators. CMM's, Customer Service is in fact, exceptional. I have called and talked to them in the past and they always answered and fielded my ? and concerns, etc.

I don't usually except excuses from businesses but the Covid thing, sees me being a bit more understanding lets say. I suggest you reach out to them again....

I met the guys from CMM when I was a Jeep Beach in 2018. I looked over their new JL offerings they had displayed and then proceeded to tell them that the stem on their CMM mirror offering was -not- acceptable. The stem needed to be longer. Also they had it mounted high on their JL and I said mount it low would be the best.. THEY listened and listened and did not blow me off. It was real obvious they gave a dam.

It was soon after that (short time frame.. weeks) when they came up with the longer stem that goes out today with their mirrors. They also offered a discount on long stem replacements for those that had already purchased/received the short stems.

Anyway, I wish all small companies selling JL accessories were as good to work with as CMM.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I bought one from @carolinametalmasters ($40) and when i got it the threads were not machined correctly.
Can you share a picture? The threads on the cosmetic hex nut in the grab handle are very odd. I seem to recall my CMM ball having the same.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I thought something was wrong too, but I had to work it and eventually it screwed into the [plastic?] just fine. It’s super solid and well worth it!

OP
OP
Sprint7

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
@Sprint7

You are a rare rare bird lets say.

CMM has a terrific reputation... Known for top notch products and they are good communicators. CMM's, Customer Service is in fact, exceptional. I have called and talked to them in the past and they always answered and fielded my ? and concerns, etc.

I don't usually except excuses from businesses but the Covid thing, sees me being a bit more understanding lets say. I suggest you reach out to them again....

I met the guys from CMM when I was a Jeep Beach in 2018. I looked over their new JL offerings they had displayed and then proceeded to tell them that the stem on their CMM mirror offering was -not- acceptable. The stem needed to be longer. Also they had it mounted high on their JL and I said mount it low would be the best.. THEY listened and listened and did not blow me off. It was real obvious they gave a dam.

It was soon after that (short time frame.. weeks) when they came up with the longer stem that goes out today with their mirrors. They also offered a discount on long stem replacements for those that had already purchased/received the short stems.

Anyway, I wish all small companies selling JL accessories were as good to work with as CMM.
Thats just my luck. I will say that they shipped it quick and i recieved several email during my order (tracking #, acknowledgemen, delivered, etc). Then after that it was radio silence.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sprint7

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
Can you share a picture? The threads on the cosmetic hex nut in the grab handle are very odd. I seem to recall my CMM ball having the same.
I knew that the threads are odd with the different OD’s. Maybe it will jam in but with the weird threads i didn’t want to try, and quit frankly for the price i expected better. Here is the stock bolt i took out and what I received. I’m just trying to find a mount for my tablet before an upcoming trip!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Carolina metal masters ball mount knockoff/copy??? F2C41BF9-7BE1-437A-85E0-F58436DF1EE2
Jeep Wrangler JL Carolina metal masters ball mount knockoff/copy??? C876B15F-42BC-4599-9D11-5C3D39CAAA01

bbuck7777

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon Unlimited Turbo
I knew that the threads are odd with the different OD’s. Maybe it will jam in but with the weird threads i didn’t want to try, and quit frankly for the price i expected better. Here is the stock bolt i took out and what I received. I’m just trying to find a mount for my tablet before an upcoming trip!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Carolina metal masters ball mount knockoff/copy??? C876B15F-42BC-4599-9D11-5C3D39CAAA01
Mike,

I too ordered and my threads look exactly like yours! I'm in the same boat that I don
t want to mess up what threads I have. I'm going to try to reach out to them.

OP
OP
Sprint7

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
I just received an email from them and was told it takes a little force to install and the threads are suppose to be this way. I installed it today and it appears to be holding. They said they are working on a video to eliminate any future confusion.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Mike.
The reason for slightly different threads might be do to what I've had....

I got one a few months back. If you are using it for a tablet try to use short "arm" to attach. "I've had mine loosen up when arm is facing the left AKA un-screwing. I was about to fill up with Loctite to stop it. I think the last time I got a lock washer to stop it so far. The one I installed on freedom panel has been spot on. I thought about doing a Ram-Mount ball hack at first too. Until I pulled one and checked out the threads."

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
My CMM ball mount has been holding my 12” iPad Pro on search and rescue runs just fine for the last year. Never looked at the threads, took out the stock one, screwed this in and called it a day. Works flawlessly. Anodizing is still perfect after 10-11 months...
Sponsored