Sponsored

Carolina metal masters ball mount knockoff/copy???

bbuck7777

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon Unlimited Turbo
My CMM ball mount has been holding my 12” iPad Pro on search and rescue runs just fine for the last year. Never looked at the threads, took out the stock one, screwed this in and called it a day. Works flawlessly. Anodizing is still perfect after 10-11 months...
Would you mind telling me what other parts you use with the ball mount for your 12" iPad? That is the set up that I need. Thanks
Sponsored

bbuck7777

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon Unlimited Turbo

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yeah, I couldn't bring myself to spend $35 plus whatever they charge for shipping for one.

I just received one of these from Amazon today. I'm going to see if I can adapt it to the grab bar screw. The screw it comes with is only m5(ish) while the screw in the grab bar is a weird alternating-diameter m7(ish) course thread screw. This RAM ball I received might need to be drilled out a little.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RHVS8I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Did you ever get this setup to work?

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
Did you ever get this setup to work?
No, never tried. I returned that one to Amazon. I concluded it wouldn't work. I think I'm going to use one of the Ram Mounts Pod HD but I'm not sure that'll work with the JL seat bolts either.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TylerU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
I bought one from @carolinametalmasters ($40) and when i got it the threads were not machined correctly. I have called 10x’s over a week at various times of the day and they have never picked up the phone. Throw in 5 unanswered email and i was done. Its a shame too because it was my first order from them and i see a lot of stuff on there site that i would like but you would have a better response calling the county to get a streetlight fixed then any type of response from them.
I too had a bad experience. After several emails and calls I had to threaten to dispute my charge with my credit card company to get any response. They make awesome products, I love my doors off mirrors but perhaps they need some help in the front office.

cride1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
That is what I used for my setup. I ditched the bolts that came with it and went to Lowe's to find something that has similar threads knowing they wouldn't have the exact same threads. Ended up buying a screw with a large coarse thread. I took the bolt that I took out of the grab handle with me so I could get a screw that would have approx. the same amount of thread sticking out once put in the ball mount. The only issue I see is that because I am just using a regular screw, you don't have the rich/tall head that the bolts that come with the ball mount has. I think the bolt head helps keeping the shape of the ball mount when tightening the mount to it as I can see some ball deformation on mine. That said, here is my setup and it is pretty solid. You can move it by hand, but I have an iPhone 11 max and it holds it's weight fine going down the highway.

If you wanted the additional bolt head height with the approach I took, you could buy a longer screw and stack some washers below the screw head.

Jeep Wrangler JL Carolina metal masters ball mount knockoff/copy??? Jeep phone mount 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Carolina metal masters ball mount knockoff/copy??? Jeep phone mount 2

I would think something could be figured out with this kit here

https://www.ebay.com/i/201376883370?chn=ps
Sponsored