Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drudgereport.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda's and a Kia.... looking for Wrangler
Occupation
Telecommunications
I'm new but have read a ton so I'm even more torn about what I should expect to pay for a JL. This came up while browsing today so asking for thoughts from you all. I can't seem to find any thing showing what you guys are paying "out the door" which is much clearer to me than saying 5-7% under invoice.

Anyway, thoughts from you pros on this one below? My budget is 30k but if it makes sense I might go slightly higher.

https://www.carmax.com/car/17025980

PS what's the difference in the 2018 vs 2019 JL?
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I just built a basic sport and with the auto transmission it came out to 35k. Have you looked around at any new ones with a full warranty?

Brett

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Here's the original window sticker on that jeep:
https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4HJXDG9JW151529

$34,440 original sticker and Carmax is asking $32,998?!?! No way - you can do better on a brand new one than that. 5%-7% under invoice is about 10%-12% off sticker, meaning this could have sold for as low as $30,307 brand new from a great dealer. Heck, this is only 4.2% down from the sticker price, and if you're financing that will be made up by the extra interest you pay on a used vehicle.

OP
OP
Fonedoc

Fonedoc

First Name
Fonedoc
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drudgereport.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Telecommunications

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I have looked new but hate the thought of spending hours at the dealership.
Thanks for the help.
No problem - here's how you avoid that: find the jeep you like and e-mail the dealership. If you have a trade give them all of the info on it including VIN. Ask them what the out the door price is. Then wait, you should get a call within a few hours. Work out a "hand shake" deal over the phone, then go in. I did that when trading my Element in on a brand new Silverado - went to a local dealer that screwed me around my not honoring their price on their website and giving me only $4K for my Element. Went to a Ford dealer and they were giving me $7K for the Element, but didn't have any F150s I liked. So then found a dealer an hour away that had 3 identical Silverados I liked for a great price. E-mailed them, told them I was looking for $30K OTD - they came back with $29K and change. Drove down there, they checked out the Element, did paperwork, and drove home in the Silverado. I can't imagine Carmax would be any quicker.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Unless you are paying cash, keep in mind used car interest rates are typically higher than new. So that is another reason to go new.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I'm new but have read a ton so I'm even more torn about what I should expect to pay for a JL. This came up while browsing today so asking for thoughts from you all. I can't seem to find any thing showing what you guys are paying "out the door" which is much clearer to me than saying 5-7% under invoice.

Anyway, thoughts from you pros on this one below? My budget is 30k but if it makes sense I might go slightly higher.

https://www.carmax.com/car/17025980

PS what's the difference in the 2018 vs 2019 JL?
No difference between an '18 Sport and '19, except the '19 is a model year newer, and so worth more. The fact that you can get a brand new, 0 miles '19 at almost $3000 less than that '18 with 12k miles makes this a terrible deal. Spending hours at the dealership is avoidable if you order your Jeep, or find one of the many dealers that does 5-7% below invoice on in stock units as well (there are a few in MD/VA, well worth the drive). Maybe the NC dealers listed will as well.

It's harder to get many "out-the-door" prices from other forum members because taxes and doc fees vary so much, but simply figure your state's taxes (no matter where you buy, you'll pay your local rate) and add in the posted fees ($299 in MD, $699 in VA, ? in NC). There might be a few other little fees, but they shouldn't amount to more than $100 bucks.

If you can wait for a factory order, Steve White in Newton NC, and TriCity in Eden NC are both reported to be at 6% below invoice. Find contact info here: https://sites.google.com/view/wranglerdeals/home Order via email, go to the dealer only to pick it up, spend an hour doing a walk-through, smiling the whole time, drive home happy knowing you have an extra $2500-3000 in your pocket.

So your OTD price at these 2 dealers should be 6% below invoice, your state taxes and the posted fees. Any other garbage tacked on should be avoided at all costs. The dealers listed on this forum don't play games with phony fees/mark-ups, and the factory orders don't require any extra time at the dealership. That being said, if you have to spend 4 hours at a dealer to save $3000, then you're essentially earning $750 an hour. If you can leave that money on the table, then you make a whole lot more than I do.

OP
OP
Fonedoc

Fonedoc

First Name
Fonedoc
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drudgereport.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Telecommunications
Unless you are paying cash, keep in mind used car interest rates are typically higher than new. So that is another reason to go new.
Yeah I'm paying cash. Thanks

Sponsored

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
Yeah I'm paying cash. Thanks
Just don’t buy it from Carmax...a used one with 12k Miles for that price is crazy. Buy brand new, you have no idea how beat this Jeep is. More than likely it was a rental car.

I guarantee you will be happy buying new from a selected dealers on this forum. Email them your list of wants, and you can get essentially 10% off MSRP. It’s easy.
Your taxes are your taxes. Simple math! plates and registration is a set fee from your state . And the a doc fee from dealer. Generally $300

MSRP ...10% off
+ State Tax
+ Doc fee $300
+ Plates

Done.

Save thousands and own a brand new Jeep in the exact color and options you want and it’s a 2019. Will save more if you buy one that’s already on there lot. And you can do this all over the phone or email. These dealers in our group don’t mess around. We are easy sales for them

OP
OP
Fonedoc

Fonedoc

First Name
Fonedoc
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drudgereport.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Telecommunications
No difference between an '18 Sport and '19, except the '19 is a model year newer, and so worth more. The fact that you can get a brand new, 0 miles '19 at almost $3000 less than that '18 with 12k miles makes this a terrible deal. Spending hours at the dealership is avoidable if you order your Jeep, or find one of the many dealers that does 5-7% below invoice on in stock units as well (there are a few in MD/VA, well worth the drive). Maybe the NC dealers listed will as well.

It's harder to get many "out-the-door" prices from other forum members because taxes and doc fees vary so much, but simply figure your state's taxes (no matter where you buy, you'll pay your local rate) and add in the posted fees ($299 in MD, $699 in VA, ? in NC). There might be a few other little fees, but they shouldn't amount to more than $100 bucks.

If you can wait for a factory order, Steve White in Newton NC, and TriCity in Eden NC are both reported to be at 6% below invoice. Find contact info here: https://sites.google.com/view/wranglerdeals/home Order via email, go to the dealer only to pick it up, spend an hour doing a walk-through, smiling the whole time, drive home happy knowing you have an extra $2500-3000 in your pocket.

So your OTD price at these 2 dealers should be 6% below invoice, your state taxes and the posted fees. Any other garbage tacked on should be avoided at all costs. The dealers listed on this forum don't play games with phony fees/mark-ups, and the factory orders don't require any extra time at the dealership. That being said, if you have to spend 4 hours at a dealer to save $3000, then you're essentially earning $750 an hour. If you can leave that money on the table, then you make a whole lot more than I do.
Many thanks sir... I'll check out Steve White.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Excellent point. There might be a few exceptions but not in OP's case since he was buying from a retailer (CarMax) verses private party. There might be sales tax savings buying used in some States. In IL someone might be able to save quite a bit on sales tax IF they purchase from a private party. For cars less then $15K IL calculates sales tax by year not by transaction price. It's a flat rate of $390 for State sales tax for a one year old car as long as the vehicle cost less then $15K and purchased from a private party. The sales tax for the exact same vehicle would cost 7%-9% if bought at a retail dealer in most of IL. For vehicles costing $30K or more it's a flat $1500 sales tax if bought from a private party. That's a savings of at least half the sales tax.

Last edited:

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Thanks for the help.
Some of the dealers will do the deal without you even entering the premises. At Koons (in VA), the deal was done over email. I just went in on the day of delivery to inspect the Wrangler and to fill out the paperwork. No haggling.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Thanks for the help.
There is a lot of good advice here. You can also check out Costco, TruCar, join Tread Lightly if you don't have the stomach for dealers. The discounts will not be as good but less work then walking into a dealership. To be honest some of the dealers listed on the forum make it as painless as possible with the exception of the back end dealings in the business office. Your paying cash so that should not be much of an issue either. Personally I'd call a few of the dealers listed on the forum and get 6%-8% under invoice on a ordered JL. A few even offer 5%-6% under invoice on JLs on the lot if you can't wait and need a vehicle sooner then later.
Sponsored