Sponsored

CarlinKit 2.0 Reviews?

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
Ordered for my Jl, wondering anyone’s else’s experience or if they found a better dongle sulotion? This unit gets mixed reviews on YouTube and on Amazon. Do we need to unplug this unit if we are going to plug our iPhone in for wired charging and CarPlay?
Sponsored

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
That's the model I have, although most of them are the same device with different branding from different sellers.

It has a USB port on the adapter to allow pass thru charging.

That said, I stopped using mine. I was reliable 95% of the time, which doesn't seem that bad, but after a month it got annoying having to dig into the glovebox and unplug/replug it. The automatic connection could also take 15-30 seconds, which also got annoying over time.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Ordered for my Jl, wondering anyone’s else’s experience or if they found a better dongle sulotion? This unit gets mixed reviews on YouTube and on Amazon. Do we need to unplug this unit if we are going to plug our iPhone in for wired charging and CarPlay?
I was using a Carlinkit adapter with my 7" radio. I had zero issues with it in the year that I've had it. It does not need to be disconnected to charge. There is a passthrough USB port on the device (at least the one I have).

I have since upgraded to the 8" Uconnect radio and no longer use the dongle.

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
That's the model I have, although most of them are the same device with different branding from different sellers.

That said, I stopped using mine. I was reliable 95% of the time, which doesn't seem that bad, but after a month it got annoying having to dig into the glovebox and unplug/replug it. The automatic connection could also take 15-30 seconds, which also got annoying over time.
Exactly the same issue with mine.
Great in principle but annoying after a while.

Sent it back to Amazon in the end!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am running the latest update on IOS and using my Carlinkit 2.0 with my 7” screen Uconnect and have had zero issues and I mean zero.

Upon getting it a month or so back I was tempted to update the firmware before using it but they suggest not to update unless it does not work or is flaky so I did not do any updates.

It currently resides in the little cutout in from of my shifter as I dont have sway bar disconnect or aux sw, as far as charging goes I don’t use the pass thru port on the device I use the USB port on the back side of my center console and use the one on the right side as it charges only and does not interfere with the wireless CarPlay when I plug it in.

Maybe I have been lucky but I simply love being cord free with zero problems but with any electronics time will tell.

It does seem to take 15+ secs to connect but by the time I get in my Jeep and get settled it’s connected before I ever start the engine but on the occasion I jump in and just throw it in reverse it always still connects

Sponsored

TimothyFS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Reached my highes level of incompetence - Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well I bit the bullet, ordered and received my "Carlink 2.0". Installed it this morning on my 2019 Sport w/7" screen, and so far so good. Looking forward to my wireless experience.

Update: 3/15/2021
After a couple of days using my Carlink 2.0, I'm very pleased. The install was really easy. Connecting times are a little sporadic but always connects from 0-30 seconds. The only real lag that I have found so far is when changing songs on Spotify using the steering wheel controls there is a 2 second lag from the time you push the switch till the song changes. I especially like climbing into the Jeep and not having to connect the phone wired, which means I use the carplay functions more frequent on short errands etc.. Now I just use the 12v cigarette (guess that name is old fashioned) lighter as a charging port when needed.

Last edited:

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
I have mine plugged in the usb port inside the center arm rest. I do have to unplug it once in a while, but that is maybe like once every two or three months, so not an issue for me. Sometimes it'll take 2 seconds to connect, but most of the time averages around 10 - 20 seconds, which again such a small deal for the convenience factor. I think it takes longer for me to grab and untangle the cable to plug it in than the 10 - 15 seconds it takes to connect.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

My experience as well: lag in connecting along with an occasional lockup requiring unplug/replug to reboot. Not perfect, but passable, and there isn't anything better out there. In fact, all of the variations found online appear to be slightly differently packaged versions of the same thing. I certainly wouldn't mount it inside the dash or you will be disappointed in its occasional hissy-fits.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I recently moved mine to the center console and still works perfect, so far no lockup’s and sync time is pretty fast 10-15 secs but has taken as long a 20-25 but that’s rare

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm having problems with my Version 4 of this device. It's installed in the console.

Any suggestions? I want to make this work!

I have 2 phones paired.

They were paired before I started. (I must use my hearing aids with my phone for cell calls. That's essential for me; hearing impaired.)

DaveL
Toronto
Sponsored