Cargo mat install idiot moment - help?

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Hi. While installing the Mopar cargo mat using the Ikea instructions, I stupidly snapped two of the plastic retainer pieces together and gave it a decent tug but it won't come apart. Also tried using a screw driver to see if there was a release tab and didn't find anything. Any idea how to separate? Any idea of a part number in case I break the part? I want to get more aggressive but afraid I'll break the part.

Appreciate any insights (see pic - front snapped together, rear are the two pieces apart)
IMG_20190710_145845.jpg
Sponsored

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
not sure how to get it apart but i would try heating it up somehow to see if it makes the plastic more pliable. hot water or maybe inside the jeep on the dash in the sun for a bit?

77RRAD

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I put my lower set on backwards but was able to pry them apart with a small flat head screw driver. They did feel like they were going ot break but did not. you need to pry from the side and look where the pieces separate.

Ron

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Looks like it's 3 little tabs holding the 2 parts together.

Might need a little dexterity but you'll have to gently push the 3 tabs to help it separate.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
They will come apart. Use something wider like a chisel and work opposite sides at the same time.

OP
OP
BernJLUR

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Ok. Well, I tried a bunch of ideas, got pissed, boiled it, and jammed a flathead screw driver deep in there and pried it off. Not sure how much of it was boiling the plastic softer or just aggressively prying, but the combo worked. All installed
Sponsored