First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
I need better Cargo Lighting. The stock cargo/done light isn't bright enough.Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I could swear I have seen LED replacement bulbs that do not require an additional resistor, but maybe I am insane.

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not sure. I am still looking at options.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Me too, but I’m looking for options to provide lighting under a security deck.

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Have you seen the LED light strips? eBay and Amazon have them. Not sure how bright.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you have to tap into the existing power wire?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have to tap into the existing power wire?
@MikeJLURubi

Well, you could run a power line to it and have a little switch for it... You could use a Aux switch line if you have the Aux switches and turn it on and off with Aux. Or, you could just saddle clamp onto the wires that go to the little led light in the storage compartment and it will come on with that led light.. If you install up on the sound bar you can tap in up there at the overhead led light. To do the wiring is simple and that is simple for most guys/gals.

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok. I would rather tap into the dome light so they would come on with the dome light.
That's how I did my Rigid back up lights, I just clamped onto the back up wire in my hitch wire harness.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok. I would rather tap into the dome light so they would come on with the dome light.
That's how I did my Rigid back up lights, I just clamped onto the back up wire in my hitch wire harness.
Thanks for the suggestion.
@MikeJLURubi

Yup, I did the same with my Rigids. I also have them hooked to Aux switch so I can also turn them on when I am, say hooking up my trailer at night, etc.

2dr JL has a little light in the rear cargo are. Not sure if the JLU does but I believe not. One could hook into that cargo light and it would go on when you open the tail gate.

Tapping into the dome wiring will be no big deal.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
If you have 12VDC back there, the LED strip lights that come in 5 meter lengths are pretty useful. I prefer the waterproof ones, but they are slightly more expensive. It's basically an adhesive tape with LEDs on it and silicone over the top. Even with the silicone though, it's pretty easy to cut them at the specified cut points, strip just a bit of the silicone back, and solder old some new wires in case you want to create multiple custom length light strips. I've also found that a bit of hot melt glue under them works better than relying on the adhesive tape (at least on wood).

Around $7 for 5 meters... Might work for what you need...

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you have 12VDC back there, the LED strip lights that come in 5 meter lengths are pretty useful. I prefer the waterproof ones, but they are slightly more expensive. It's basically an adhesive tape with LEDs on it and silicone over the top. Even with the silicone though, it's pretty easy to cut them at the specified cut points, strip just a bit of the silicone back, and solder old some new wires in case you want to create multiple custom length light strips. I've also found that a bit of hot melt glue under them works better than relying on the adhesive tape (at least on wood).

Around $7 for 5 meters... Might work for what you need...
Thanks. I do have the 12VDC and U will consider those.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I do have the 12VDC and U will consider those.
Just remember, the entire 5 meters is only 24W, so if you need a really bright light in a small area, you're going to have to put a lot of them on the surface going back and forth next to each other. If you are just wanting enough light to see things (vs trying to read a small size font manual), they might work for you. If you need a really bright concentrated light, you might want to look at the 1W, 5W, or 10W COB LEDs, they are usually not current protected and maybe not even expecting 12V, so a current limiting resistor at least will be required.

For example, I recently purchased 10 of these to experiment around with for $2.19 (i.e. $0.22 each). They require 16-17V and 240-260 mA due to the way that the LEDs are wired together inside the chip, but they do provide a light that is bright enough to read by even with my old eyes. I powered them by going between the -5V and +12V leads off a PC power supply. If you try to power it off of just 12V, you get a very dim glow at best. One concern with these though is that you really should mount them to something metal and have some thermal grease between them and the metal surface so as to help dissipate any heat generated to prolong the life of the LED. And, of course, the higher the wattage, the larger the heat sink you need to provide. Just something to consider if you decide to roll your own LED system. You don't have to worry about that with the previous 12V strip lights that I posted since each one is a low enough wattage and they are not so close together that they can dissipate any heat without additional help.

5W LED Bulbs

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just remember, the entire 5 meters is only 24W, so if you need a really bright light in a small area, you're going to have to put a lot of them on the surface going back and forth next to each other. If you are just wanting enough light to see things (vs trying to read a small size font manual), they might work for you. If you need a really bright concentrated light, you might want to look at the 1W, 5W, or 10W COB LEDs, they are usually not current protected and maybe not even expecting 12V, so a current limiting resistor at least will be required.

For example, I recently purchased 10 of these to experiment around with for $2.19 (i.e. $0.22 each). They require 16-17V and 240-260 mA due to the way that the LEDs are wired together inside the chip, but they do provide a light that is bright enough to read by even with my old eyes. I powered them by going between the -5V and +12V leads off a PC power supply. If you try to power it off of just 12V, you get a very dim glow at best. One concern with these though is that you really should mount them to something metal and have some thermal grease between them and the metal surface so as to help dissipate any heat generated to prolong the life of the LED. And, of course, the higher the wattage, the larger the heat sink you need to provide. Just something to consider if you decide to roll your own LED system. You don't have to worry about that with the previous 12V strip lights that I posted since each one is a low enough wattage and they are not so close together that they can dissipate any heat without additional help.

5W LED Bulbs
Thanks for that information. Appreciated.
Sponsored