Cargo cover

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So, I am looking for a simple cargo cover for my JLUR hardtop. I don’t think that I want the “metal security box” type. Rather, I just want something that will cover the cargo area and keep prying eyes away.

this one looks kinda “junky” to me;

https://www.amazon.com/GPCA-Wrangler-2018-2019-Unlimited-Cargo/dp/B07FNZYQSN

Anyone try it?

pictures?

other suggestions?
Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Interestingly, I just purchased this in a two door version. Looks flimsy and says you can’t take it on the freeway but I need something now since I’m riding around safari mode. I also needed something easy to install and I’m hoping to secure it better for freeway speeds.

It’s pretty cheap and it’s the only one I saw that can be used with my soft top folded back. I should receive it this Sunday. Bought mine on amazon too.

According to some posts in this forum, it fades to a purplish color in the sun and it sags. Oh well, I need something quick in the meantime. I hope I like it!

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Interestingly, I just purchased this in a two door version. Looks flimsy and says you can’t take it on the freeway but I need something now since I’m riding around safari mode. I also needed something easy to install and I’m hoping to secure it better for freeway speeds.

It’s pretty cheap and it’s the only one I saw that can be used with my soft top folded back. I should receive it this Sunday. Bought mine on amazon too.

According to some posts in this forum, it fades to a purplish color in the sun and it sags. Oh well, I need something quick in the meantime. I hope I like it!
‘great info, thank you

Btsnyder11

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
I would like to know everyone's thoughts on that particular cargo cover also. I have a 4 door hard top

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I would like to know everyone's thoughts on that particular cargo cover also. I have a 4 door hard top
Some people posted around here that the sagging is annoying. I agree, it is. Also, the part that wraps around the roll bars keep lifting up so I’m constantly pushing them back down. Even so, I actually do like it and use it daily. I’m waiting for someone to make something more secure for a two door that I can use while the top is down. It says not to use it on the freeway but I have been with no problems in safari mode.

Sponsored

Btsnyder11

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Some people posted around here that the sagging is annoying. I agree, it is. Also, the part that wraps around the roll bars keep lifting up so I’m constantly pushing them back down. Even so, I actually do like it and use it daily. I’m waiting for someone to make something more secure for a two door that I can use while the top is down. It says not to use it on the freeway but I have been with no problems in safari mode.
Do you think any of that is going to be an issue if we keep the hardtop on while using it?

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Got one. Rides up the roll bars as mentioned, flaps in the wind, and has faded to a purplish-black after 2 months of to off in the summer. Don't really care for it. Think I will be spending some money on a JFtops rigid cover next summer.

IMG_5911.JPG

View attachment 261760

jftops.jpg

https://jftops.com/photos/jlu-hard-top/

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody try this one yet? It requires the soft-top tailgate bar, but Smittybilt has a less expensive alternative to the mopar.

upload_2020-1-9_7-7-56.png

upload_2020-1-9_7-6-13.png

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Anybody try this one yet? It requires the soft-top tailgate bar, but Smittybilt has a less expensive alternative to the mopar.
I have the Rampage version, looks very similar (and a little cheaper). I think it's great. It's not very secure as anyone can just take it off or cut it, but it hides things well. IMO definitely looks better than the GPCA, it's much tighter so no flapping at all. One issue is that it has to be removed when the top goes back on though.

But do hardtops come with the bar retainer parts the tailgate bar attaches to? That may be 2 additional parts you need (right and left, see link below for example). I have a soft top, so I didn't need any additional parts.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/left-tailgate-bar-retainer-jeep-wrangler-jl

Sponsored

blue_rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the JTops tonneau cover and really like it. While it's a little on the pricey side, it doesn't flap, and now that I added a rear-seat recline, that gap between the back seats and the cover is really quite small. It didn't appear to fade all summer/fall last year when it was on.

Edit:
It's also pretty easy to get on and off (such as when I don't want any cover because I my dogs want to go for a ride).

(not my ride, but here's a pic from their website:)
Jeep Wrangler JL Cargo cover {filename}

TylerU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
I have the GPCA cover and the sagging back bugs me too. I emailed GPCA about it and they instructed me to move the straps around but it didn't make much difference. My main complaint is that it makes reaching into the back cargo area too easy so I had some additional straps sewn on so I could secure it around spare tire mount. I have not tried it yet on account of it being winter but hopes it works better. If not I will be investigating other options once it warms up.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'll echo all the complaints in the GCPA Cover.

Last edited:

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Rampage version, looks very similar (and a little cheaper). I think it's great. It's not very secure as anyone can just take it off or cut it, but it hides things well. IMO definitely looks better than the GPCA, it's much tighter so no flapping at all. One issue is that it has to be removed when the top goes back on though.

But do hardtops come with the bar retainer parts the tailgate bar attaches to? That may be 2 additional parts you need (right and left, see link below for example). I have a soft top, so I didn't need any additional parts.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/left-tailgate-bar-retainer-jeep-wrangler-jl

Those two additional brackets are what I was wondering about. Can't tell from Smittybilt site if they have some sort of integrated bracket on the bar ends or not. I know it says cannot be used with OE soft top, so was thinking it might be set up as a 1 piece deal.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Those two additional brackets are what I was wondering about. Can't tell from Smittybilt site if they have some sort of integrated bracket on the bar ends or not. I know it says cannot be used with OE soft top, so was thinking it might be set up as a 1 piece deal.
Right, looking closer at the picture and description, the Smittybilt tailgate bar might not need the Mopar soft top corners. It's hard to tell, they need to add a picture installed on a jeep.

I paid less than $70 for the Rampage version, since I didn't need additional parts. At that price, it was a no-brainer, and it's probably my favorite thing I've added so far. With the cost of the tailgate bar, it's about the same as the JTops. That makes the decision harder.
Sponsored